IGNORED

2012 Deutsche Bank Championship Discussion Thread PGA Tour Playoffs

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4255 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by MEfree

I didn`t see any of this be heard them say that there was something like a 10-15 minute delay from the time Hoffman hit his tee ball and his "next" shot from the woods.  This was the reason that the final group arrived at the 11th tee before Tiger and DJ had even teed off, with all 4 guys hanging out a bit and watching the 3rd to last group complete the hole.

From a rules perspective, I found it interesting that they were able to rule that Oosthuizen`s ball was in the heavily wooded hazard left of 5 with virtual certainty because a number of fans had said they heard it go into the bushes.  Had there been no spectators around, it may have been necessary to find the ball to avoid having to play 3 from the tee.  They found 2 other balls, but not Oosthuizen`s.  Definitely an advantage for the pros with big galleries compared to those who don`t under the current rules

I thought the rules official got this wrong, the ball could have hit a tree bounced anywhere. He was very quick to say it was virtually certain it was in the hazard. At one stage I thought Louis was going to tell him he was certain. Strange.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

I thought the rules official got this wrong, the ball could have hit a tree bounced anywhere. He was very quick to say it was virtually certain it was in the hazard. At one stage I thought Louis was going to tell him he was certain. Strange.

Looked virtually certain to me. Sure, a high-profile group on TV has fans, cameras, and more. When Rory's ball was stuck in a tree a few weeks ago, it was the arial camera shot on TV that found it. If he had been out of contention, or the 125th ranked player, they'd have never found it.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

Looked virtually certain to me. Sure, a high-profile group on TV has fans, cameras, and more. When Rory's ball was stuck in a tree a few weeks ago, it was the arial camera shot on TV that found it. If he had been out of contention, or the 125th ranked player, they'd have never found it.

I have no problem with the ruling and I think the TV footage would have backed it up, but they didn't use that. The rules official seemed to get there awfully quickly. Yes the fans may have heard it hitting trees but where did it go from there?

Of course Luis missed an opportunity on 17 (and again on 18)...my guess is that nerves got him a bit.

Yes, the difference between Tiger and Rory was putting- Rory was ranked 1 or 2 in the three main putting categories and 35th in GIR, while Tiger was #2 in GIR giving up almost 2.5 strokes to Rory on the greens for the tournament (according to the stroke gained numbers).  Tiger did not putt badly (at one point they said he was 50 of 50 insdie 6 feet), just not as good as Rory.

As far as the virtual certainty ruling went, I thought it was ok, but feel that if you or I hit that same tee shot today, we wouldn`t be so certain.  That is one reason I don`t really like the distinctions between hazards, lost balls and OOBs.  Pros are rarely confronted with this and bad golfers get over penalized with one bad shot costing them 2 strokes in the case of LB/OOB.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Anybody think Phil is going to stick with the claw? I can't believe he's trotting this out in the playoffs, but he's had a pretty bad season with his putter.

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by phan52

Anybody think Phil is going to stick with the claw? I can't believe he's trotting this out in the playoffs, but he's had a pretty bad season with his putter.

Phil changed equipment two weeks before the Ryder Cup in 2004 (speculation that Callaway paid off his gambling debts, but that might have just been wild rumor).  He performed poorly, losing three matches outright and winning only 1.  However, that was the year that Euro won by like 9 points--so everyone on Team-USA was getting their share of the beat-down.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

I only brought it up b/c I was standing right on the tree line while He was hitting his first shot in the woods and watching him look for it after he hit.  Dufner walked right in front of me to go in the woods.

Just thought someone could clarify would might be going on.

In my stand Bag:

R7 Superquad 10.5* Fujikura REAX 65-S
Hi-Bore XLS 19* Hybrid Dynamic Gold S300
MP-60 4 thru PW Dynamic Gold S300 .588 REG 54* SW Vokey 58* LWSTX Greeny IV putter

Originally Posted by lhshurdl3r

I only brought it up b/c I was standing right on the tree line while He was hitting his first shot in the woods and watching him look for it after he hit.  Dufner walked right in front of me to go in the woods.

Just thought someone could clarify would might be going on.

That's so cool, you where right there? Something sounds fishy lol. I'm going to guess it just looked odd. I can't imagine there was any funny business going on. Sounds like you would be the one to ask the question to. What, was going on? Did you watch close? You said you seen a ball in his hand. I would have watched that like a hawk. Did he drop it? What did happen, you where right there! lol.

Sincerely, Jim

Originally Posted by lhshurdl3r

Weird situation... On the 11th today, Charlie Hoffman catches the right cart path and his ball bounces into the woods.  He goes in looking, finds it, hits it off a tree and it goes back into the woods.

While searching around, Jason Dufner comes walking over with a ball in hand... goes into the woods (about 10yds deep) and is talking/looking around with Hoffman.  He hands him the ball and then walks out.  Moments later a rules official comes over and Hoffman is hitting a ball.

Anyone have any thoughts/clarification on this?

They are both Titleist guys?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I hope Louis gets a new sponsor soon.  During the 3rd round coverage he looked like a UPS Regional Manager, with that shirt and those brown pants.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Pretty sure that as long as they're still backing the big brown money truck up to his house, he'll grin and bear it.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by zipazoid

That should, imo, wrap up POY for Rory. Three wins including a major.

Originally Posted by Infamous 273

nice to see tiger complete a tournament with 4 rounds in the 60's; he's gonna need to run the table for POY.

Originally Posted by k-troop

POY right now looks like Tiger v Rory.  I think Tiger might have to win the BWM and Tour Championship to pass Rory in OWGR; if he wins either and finishes well in the other, then only Rory or Watney could take the Cup from him.  I think Tiger would have to win one of the two remaining playoff events and the Cup to win POY.

I am as big a Tiger fan as there is but I think Rory's a lock for POY.  The major sews it up for him, even if Tiger wins the next 2.

Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

I agree.  I don't seen how virtual certainty can exist in a situation where the ball could have bounced anywhere.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by Stretch

Pretty sure that as long as they're still backing the big brown money truck up to his house, he'll grin and bear it.

They could at least work on a snazzier shirt for him to wear

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice

That's so cool, you where right there? Something sounds fishy lol. I'm going to guess it just looked odd. I can't imagine there was any funny business going on. Sounds like you would be the one to ask the question to. What, was going on? Did you watch close? You said you seen a ball in his hand. I would have watched that like a hawk. Did he drop it? What did happen, you where right there! lol.

I watched it as best as I could... Dufner gave him the ball, then came out and Hoffman walked a little further away out of my view

In my stand Bag:

R7 Superquad 10.5* Fujikura REAX 65-S
Hi-Bore XLS 19* Hybrid Dynamic Gold S300
MP-60 4 thru PW Dynamic Gold S300 .588 REG 54* SW Vokey 58* LWSTX Greeny IV putter

Very un-Tiger like to score this low the first day. He's traditionally started off slow and gained momentum as the tournament progressed. Last two tournaments he's come right out of the clubhouse fighting. The courses have been ripe for taking of course, but still. It was nice watching him and Rory have at it.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note: This thread is 4255 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!