IGNORED

Anchored Putters Rules Change (Effective January 1, 2016)

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Watching Adam Scott this week, he should be the poster child for allowing anchoring.

It definitely looks like a stroke when he putts and his putting proves there is no advantage to using an anchored stroke.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Originally Posted by meenman

It definitely looks like a stroke when he putts and his putting proves there is no advantage to using an anchored stroke.

No it doesn't.

See what I did there?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It definitely looks like a stroke when he putts

Not sure I understand this part.  Are you saying it doesn't look like he's anchoring, or that it still looks like a putting stroke even though he's anchoring?  You seem to be ascribing some aesthetic definition to putting, in the latter case.  And if it was based on aesthetics, he should be the poster-child for banning it.  He is actually the only player on tour that makes me fast-forward nearly every time he putts on-screen.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by phan52

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

Good point. Just curious, are you aware of any amateur competitions that have used the new groove rule yet?

Some that won't....

http://www.thestate.com/2013/02/17/2637049/cga-scga-wont-follow-grooves-rules.html

As I have read it, the recommended implementation for 2014 only applies to "major amateur tournaments, collegiate golf tournaments, and state golf association championships". The link you provided states that they won't implement the rule for South Carolina Golf Association tournaments in general, but that's expected. The real question is will they implement it for their state championship, which is not addressed in that article.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by meenman View Post

Watching Adam Scott this week, he should be the poster child for allowing anchoring.

It definitely looks like a stroke when he putts..

Of course it's a stroke. An anchored stroke.

Quote:
...and his putting proves there is no advantage to using an anchored stroke.

Not that this is relevant to the anchoring ban, but - how so?  Do you have some way of proving he'd putt the same or better with an unanchored stroke?

Bill

[QUOTE name="meenman" url="/t/62766/anchored-putters-rules-change/1200_100#post_820547"] It definitely looks like a stroke when he putts and his putting proves there is no advantage to using an anchored stroke. [/QUOTE] No it doesn't. See what I did there?

Minimalist response. :-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Not sure I understand this part.  Are you saying it doesn't look like he's anchoring, or that it still looks like a putting stroke even though he's anchoring?  You seem to be ascribing some aesthetic definition to putting, in the latter case.  And if it was based on aesthetics, he should be the poster-child for banning it.  He is actually the only player on tour that makes me fast-forward nearly every time he putts on-screen.

it is a stroke even though he is anchoring

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

Of course it's a stroke. An anchored stroke.

Not that this is relevant to the anchoring ban, but - how so?  Do you have some way of proving he'd putt the same or better with an unanchored stroke?

I'm just saying that (from what i;ve seen) there is no advantage. oh wait, all the anti-anchoring peeps say there is no advantage, they just want to ban it because they dont like the look.

Follow me on twitter

Is their a way I can unfollow this thread so I don't have to see it anymore? I think people are just retyping their same argument over and over again just to be annoying.

Originally Posted by SCfanatic35

Is their a way I can unfollow this thread so I don't have to see it anymore? I think people are just retyping their same argument over and over again just to be annoying.

You can "block" certain users, so there might very well be a way to block certain threads too.  Or, what I do is just hover my cursor over the latest post in "new posts" and a window pops up showing a good portion of what they said.  So you might be able to tell what they're about to say, and then know not to click on it. :)

Last time i checked (and someone please correct me if i am wrong) - no one is forcing anyone to read anything

Follow me on twitter

Until a couple of months ago there was a facility to mark threads as read without opening them but it disappeared

Go into your "subscriptions" and hit the small "x" to delete it from the threads you follow.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Last time i checked (and someone please correct me if i am wrong) - no one is forcing anyone to read anything

I like seeing your posts.  Not because I agree with you, which I do not, but because as a fellow Giants fan I like the Tom Brady picture.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Stacy Lewis: If I am playing match play and my opponent walks onto the first tee with a long putter, I have a smile on my face because I know they can't putt.

Bill M

Stacy Lewis: If I am playing match play and my opponent walks onto the first tee with a long putter, I have a smile on my face because I know they can't putt.

Irrelevant quote. This thread is about ANCHORED putting not long putters. After 71 pages you should have figured that out.

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

disagree, it's plenty relevant. Besides, other than Matt kuchar, how many pros out there do you know of that have a long putter and don't anchor it? [quote name="JerseyThursday" url="/t/62766/anchored-putters-rules-change/1260#post_820826"] Irrelevant quote. This thread is about ANCHORED putting not long putters. After 71 pages you should have figured that out. [/quote]

Anyone who walks onto the first tee with any putter makes me smile, because I know they can't play golf. Who tees off with a putter?

The three people that I know that use a belly putter can putt with any kind of putter. They use the belly because they can putt better with it. I guess it is relative, as it has been worth about one extra one putt per round over the course of a year. I am sure there are people that it was there last option, but in my circles that has not been the case.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Note: This thread is 2522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!