IGNORED

2013 Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4103 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Announcer keep talking about how cold, but no mention of the temp..  I looked it up - 57*F.  Heck, that would be balmy in New England.  Tomorrow's high is forecast to be, guess what, 57*F.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Announcer keep talking about how cold, but no mention of the temp..  I looked it up - 57*F.  Heck, that would be balmy in New England.  Tomorrow's high is forecast to be, guess what, 57*F.

For us SoCal-ers that is cold! Lol!!

I'm neither a fanboy nor hater but I have gone on record as saying that I think Tiger will continue to win but never really regain the level of dominance he's enjoyed in the past. After today I may have to prepare myself for a healthy meal of crow. He is definitely starting to put the fear back in the field.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

For us SoCal-Wes that is cold! Lol!!

Damn you!!!!!!LOL.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by boston blackie

Hell it was 30°F something in Portland ME today and that was a heat wave... I left a day of 18° F.... I may have to take a trip to Beantown to play sticks....

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

For us SoCal-ers that is cold! Lol!!

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Damn you!!!!!!LOL.

Seriously huh?  I was giving the "Don't flame me" guy a hard time earlier for calling 38 "old." (I'm 39)  It's probably just as insensitive for us to taunt you northerners about our "frigid" golfing temps this time of year, eh?  Was it you that said you had a -35C day recently?  Ouch!  Sorry bout that!

PS ... didn't even notice until now that my phone auto-corrected socal-ers to socal-wes, whatever the heck that means.

Originally Posted by Blitz28179

Phil is really a humble guy.Thats hard to find these days with big sports athletes.Hes the nicest guy and one of my favorites on the PGA tour

Phil??  Humble??  I've heard Phil called a lot of things, but humble??  LOL

Originally Posted by colin007

I think this tournament might be a statement tournament from tiger, letting people know that he is still one bad mofo and not to be underestimated. I think this might be a big year from Eldrick.

I hope Rory is catching some of this.

Originally Posted by dhanson

i love watching them change the pin.

Agree.  One of my favorite things, the year I went to the US Open practice rounds at Torrey was talking to a couple of the greenskeeping staff about all the things they do.

Originally Posted by Clambake

TW's melting down off the tee.    HIs tee shot on 2 is so far left he's actually up on the #6 fairway!     He got away with a bad one to the left on #1, and still looks to have a decent look at the green on 2 but he's got to be feeling shaky next time he steps onto the tee.    And if he pulls another badly left on 4 he's toast.     Maybe another come-from-behind win for Snedeker????

Wishful thinking.  LOL

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Phil??  Humble??  I've heard Phil called a lot of things, but humble??  LOL

Heh. His nickname is FIGJAM after all - f**k I'm good, just ask me. ;-) [quote name="Golfingdad" url="/t/64363/2013-farmers-insurance-open-at-torrey-pines-discussion-thread/150_30#post_803486"] PS ... didn't even notice until now that my phone auto-corrected socal-ers to socal-wes, whatever the heck that means. [/quote] Ahhhh, I spent about 5 minutes wondering what you were going for there. [quote name="dhanson" url="/t/64363/2013-farmers-insurance-open-at-torrey-pines-discussion-thread/120_30#post_803377"]i love watching them change the pin. [/quote] That was actually kind of cool. I don't think I had ever seen the entire process they go through at once like that. Also, I still don't get why so many people on the telecast and on Twitter (that I follow, at least) were so confused about Tiger's shirt situation. There was no chance he was going to finish all 36 holes, especially when he teed off for the fourth round at 3:10 PST. Kind of obvious that the red shirt's gonna come out tomorrow.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Phil couldn't hit a fairway while I was following him today but he did make some good saves, including a delicate little pitch over a bunker to a short downhill pin.  While backed up waiting to tee off on the 10th (I think it was) he made a lot of practice strokes with the putter - obviously bothered there.  Tiger looked determined and focused.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by dhanson

i love watching them change the pin.

Originally Posted by boston blackie

57 is balmy here too.  But when the sun goes down these days it drops down into the thirties very quickly, and when you're dressed for balmy weather, along with the wind, it gets pretty cold.

Originally Posted by turtleback

Identical twins separated at birth:

Josh Teater and Sergio Garcia.

I was thinking the same thing.  I actually thought it was Sergio the first time I saw him.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Typically, the Golf Channel handles coverage of non-major tournaments that spill over into Monday. And that network indeed will pick up coverage of the final round Monday at 1:30 p.m. Chicago time. But CBS will step in at 3 p.m. CT to air coverage of what either will be a Woods' win -- he led by six strokes -- or a stunning collapse.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/golf/chi-tiger-tv-cbs-20130128,0,5522239.story

Somebody had to write the article again on how Tiger had failed various times last year throwing a lead into the shitter and that there is a good possibility that it might happen again because it is the same scenario and tournament. Funny I rarely see an article about another golfer in the lead during the third round, touted as a "goat". Even when guys that deserve it are in the lead. Just because no pays attention to that writer otherwise.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

The Tiger you see approaching or on the greens at Torrey is a different man to the guy who was struggling at times in that area the last couple of years.  His renewed confidence in the short game bodes well for the rest of the year.

One non-golfing correction to the commentators:  the paragliders and hang-gliders above the cliffs are NOT riding thermals, they are getting lift from air that has been forced up the 500 - 800 ft cliff face when there is a westerly wind.  A "thermal" is a situation in which air is rising because of the temperature difference between air near the ground, heated by the sun, and cooler air at higher altitudes.  Thermals can occur on the flattest of plains in the absence of wind on a hot day and can take gliders to great altitudes in very long cross-country flights.  I used to jump off the cliff at the gliderport and ride the lift there; if you fly too for off the beach over the ocean the lift dies away and you start descending - time to turn around and head east.  Trust me, you aren't going to stay up for long if there isn't a westerly wind.  If the wind dies down suddently you either land quickly on the clifftop while you still can or you calmly glide down to Blacks Beach (a nude beach, by the way .....) and make the 20 min treck back up the steep slope, schlepping all that gear on your back - not advised.

But I admit that I'd thought that torrey pines (or 'soledads', apparently) were unique to La Jolla until one of the commentators explained that they are common in parts of South America.  There they are used to make furniture - here they're considered a precious and protected resource .....

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Typically, the Golf Channel handles coverage of non-major tournaments that spill over into Monday. And that network indeed will pick up coverage of the final round Monday at 1:30 p.m. Chicago time. But CBS will step in at 3 p.m. CT to air coverage of what either will be a Woods' win -- he led by six strokes -- or a stunning collapse.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/golf/chi-tiger-tv-cbs-20130128,0,5522239.story

I'm recording it on both channels.  What about online coverage though?  I see the Live@ link is up, but nothing showing yet: http://pgatour.cbssports.com/live/

Edit: looks like coverage on that link just started.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Streaming works for me. Each change of commercial undoes the mute though. Anyone know what Woods did to improve his wedge play?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 4103 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!