IGNORED

Vijay Singh admits to using banned substance in Sports Illustrated ...

Clambake
Note: This thread is 3992 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So Vijay Singh has admitted to using a substance that is banned by the PGA and most other sports leagues.    Reading this story, I'm not sure what strikes me as more disappointing: that he would use a banned substance, or that he would fall for this ultra-flakey "science" marketed by world class snake oil salesmen.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130129/the-strange-lab-that-lured-numerous-athletes/?sct=hp_t11_a2&eref;=sihp

Quote:

Vijay Singh , long lauded for his longevity and tireless work ethic, admitted to using a banned substance in an article in this week’s Sports Illustrated .

The SI story is centered on the company S.W.A.T.S. – Sports with Alternatives to Steroids – which sells such products as deer antler spray and hologram chips to help athletes maximize their performance. Linebacker Ray Lewis was among the players mentioned in the report.

According to the report, Singh paid one of the company’s owners $9,000 last November for the spray, chips, beam ray and powder additive. He also reportedly uses the spray “every couple of hours … every day,” and “sleeps with the beam ray on and has put chips on his ankles, waist and shoulders.”

“I’m looking forward to some change in my body,” Singh said, according to the report. “It’s really hard to feel the difference if you’re only doing it for a couple of months.”

The deer antler spray contains IGF-1 (insulin-like growth factor), which SI describes as a “natural, anabolic hormone that stimulates muscle growth” and is a banned substance in all major sports leagues, including the PGA Tour.

“We were just made aware of the report and are looking into it,” said Ty Votaw, the Tour’s vice president of communication and international affairs.

Votaw declined to comment on whether Tour officials had spoken with the Fijian, who is in the field at this week’s Waste Management Phoenix Open .

While IGF-1 is on the Tour’s banned-substances list, Votaw confirmed that, like many other professional sports leagues, the circuit does not test for either IGF-1 or HGH. “We have not determined a reliable test for it,” Votaw said. Players are regularly tested under the circuit’s anti-doping program.

On Aug. 17, 2011, the Tour issued an “anti-doping warning” via the green sheet which is circulated to players monthly, when it was learned that Mark Calcavecchia and Ken Green were endorsing S.W.A.T.S’ “Ultimate Spray.”

“The PGA Tour has learned that a supplement product marketed as ‘deer antler spray’ contains a prohibited substance under the PGA Tour anti-doping program,” the warning read.

“Deer antler contains IGF-1 which naturally occurs in the human body and is a growth factor, like human growth hormone. IGF-1 protects cartilage, promotes the growth of bone cells and facilitates recovery. It is universally banned in all sports.”

Attempts to reach Singh have been unsuccessful and his management company, IMG, told Golf Channel he is unavailable for comment at this time.

Doug Barron is the only Tour player suspended (one year) under the circuit’s performance-enhancing drug policy when he tested positive for testosterone and beta blockers in 2009.

It appears that Singh was an early user of a deer antler by-product that Ravens LB Ray Lewis is accused of using. The deer antler substance, a centurys'-old home remedy, has become a banned substance in several sports. Oddly, SWATS stands for Sports With Alternatives to Steriods .

Deer-antler stuff is touted as a help with healing and fighting age, rather than turning you into superman.

(Note; Time-lines in SI story are a bit unclear.)

... Key had given some of S.W.A.T.S.'s chips to LSU players before their 9-6 victory over Alabama in November 2011; that helped him get an audience with the Tide players, who received some of the same S.W.A.T.S. products that outfielder Johnny Damon, golfer Vijay Singh and linebacker Shawne Merriman have used. ...

...(Vijay Singh, however, remains a vocal supporter. In November, Singh paid Ross $9,000 for the spray, chips, beam ray and powder additive -- making him one of the few athletes who is compensating S.W.A.T.S. He says he uses the spray banned by the PGA "every couple of hours . . . every day," sleeps with the beam ray on and has put chips on his ankles, waist and shoulders. "I'm looking forward to some change in my body," Singh says. "It's really hard to feel the difference if you're only doing it for a couple of months.") ...

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130129/the-strange-lab-that-lured-numerous-athletes/#ixzz2JPclUX2W

The hologram stickers appear to be the first-cousin of the Power Balance bracelets being hawked at various golf events of the past couple of seasons.

Looks like alternatives to steriods will get you in trouble too.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've tried that Deer Antler spray about 2yrs ago... It didn't do anything for me.  Actually I have tried a lot of different supplements in the past - which were all readily available over the counter at nutritional stores (ie. GNC), and I'd say that all of them are goofy and a waste of coin.

What it equates to is the intensity of your workout.  Combining core aerobic and strength exercises together via circuit or crossfit workouts is key #1.  Get your heart rate UP.  And key #2 is getting your daily intake right.

Right now, I'm simply eating less processed and packaged foods, increasing my lean protein, water, fruit and vegetable intake - and getting into very good shape by doing cross fit workouts. No need for the sprays or creams if you know what I mean.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I've tried that Deer Antler spray about 2yrs ago... It didn't do anything for me.

Same here ... totttttttal ripoff.  Not only did I not grow antlers ... I didn't even get little nubs or nothing!

• Upvote 1

Well I've hunted deer for about twenty years. If only I had known this earlier.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

If you have a 12.5 HDCP, I doubt you need enhancing supplements.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Originally Posted by WUTiger

If you have a 12.5 HDCP, I doubt you need enhancing supplements.

But he could have been enhancing his pocketbook selling antlers to these snake oil guys!

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

I have a bottle of this stuff too. My friend gave it to me as a gift 2-3 years ago, but I never tried it. I never realized it was a banned substance. Now I want to try it

I think I lost it though. Oh well.

Constantine

Dunno about deer antlers but here reindeer antler powder has been told to have manhood enlarging properties (MEP). I received a bottle of it from my wife long time ago, although I don't know why.

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

Heard a guy on the radio say he used to hunt with an older gentleman who would eat the antlers.  Bit crunchy I would think.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

The following statement has been released to the media from Vijay Singh.

Quote:

In light of the recent article on sportsillustrated.com, I want to issue the following statement:

While I have used deer antler spray, at no time was I aware that it may contain a substance that is banned under the PGA TOUR Anti-Doping Policy.  In fact, when I first received the product, I reviewed the list of ingredients and did not see any prohibited substances.  I am absolutely shocked that deer antler spray may contain a banned substance and am angry that I have put myself in this position.  I have been in contact with the PGA TOUR and am cooperating fully with their review of this matter.  I will not be commenting further at this time.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

So IGF-1 has growth promoting properties? So what? It won't do anything as a spray and deer IGF-1 (even if there actually IS any in this stuff that's active) may not bind human IGF-1 receptors. IGF-1 is related to insulin and I'm certain diabetics would be spraying like mad if insulin was effective as a topical agent. Incidentally, insulin itself has pretty significant growth promoting effects but is that on the list of banned substances? Finally (and I guess most importantly), if they can't test for it, how on earth are they going to prove VJ actually ever had any in his system?

• Upvote 1

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Note: This thread is 3992 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!