IGNORED

When will Tiger reclaim #1 OWGR?

k-troop
Note: This thread is 3993 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Hoganwoods

No.  Someone has to be third.  You can use the word "consistent" if it makes you feel better but there's #1 and #2, and then there's the rest.  Everything is measured in wins.  It's really that simple.  Luke Donald is awesome but as someone said above, he's not a legit #1.  He was keeping the spot warm, just like Kaymer and Westwood.  Luke Donald is not even in the same zip code of the same discussion as Rory and Tiger.

I agree, "consistent" in this case is like saying the ugly guy/girl has a nice personality.   Donald filled the #1 void by playing well while Tigers professional and personal life completely fell apart on him.

Donald is a great golfer but he's not likely to see #1 again for a while.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I agree, "consistent" in this case is like saying the ugly guy/girl has a nice personality.   Donald filled the #1 void by playing well while Tigers professional and personal life completely fell apart on him.

The way he's been playing lately, he may be lucky to stay in the top 10.

Having said that, he deserved the title during the time he held it.  He was really playing great in nearly all tournaments that weren't majors.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by mp33 man

My first post was met just how I thought it would be, Tiger fan retaliation.

So disagreeing with someone is now "retaliation".  So really your posts are just Luke fan "retaliation".

Quote:

Originally Posted by mp33 man

Its seems as though every post in response to my first on this subject has completely ignored the fact that I said "Donald and RORY".

Riiiight.  So you missed the part where I said that Rory is the first legitimate #1 since Tiger fell off the pedestal.  It is an insult to Rory to try to tie Luke to him to buttress Luke's place in the discussion of the best in the world.  For years Tom Kite was the #1 career money winner on the PGATour.  But no rational person ever considered him the best in the world.  And he was a heck of a lot better than Luke Donald.  Donald has 7 top 10 finishes in majors - in 37 tries.  I am the last one to say majors are the only things that count, but no one with that record in the 37 most important tournaments is truly the best in the world.

All those posts you are whining about acknowledged that Rory was a worthy, albeit soon to be surpassed, #1.  It was your insistence on putting Donald in the discussion with Tiger and Rory that was met with incredulity.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I agree, if by not likely you mean never again.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

The way he's been playing lately, he may be lucky to stay in the top 10. Having said that, he deserved the title during the time he held it.  He was really playing great in nearly all tournaments that weren't majors.

Luke Donald is good for about a -2 every round which happened to be enough in 2010. This doesn't seen to be the case anymore. His consistently makes him legit, but his best vs a lot of other's best just doesn't seen to match up. (you just don't see him post -6, -7, -8 very often) In addition, I really don't see a lot of shots in the Donald bag as with greats such as Tiger, Phil, and other legends of the game. Tiger may be hitting a lot of draws now, but he has the ability to completely revamp his swing 3 times and continue to dominate, he is fully capable of changing his ball flight.

It wouldn't surprise me if Rory was to win the Masters to extend his lead at number one.  Tiger is starting to play more consistently and this years majors will be good barometer to see where his game is at.

I'm not going to do the math - but Tiger & Rory both have good stretches from 2011 that are going to drop off the rankings between now and the Open Championship. And although the weighting for those events is reduced, Tiger has a T4 at the Masters, two seconds  and 2 wins from 2011 that drop off; and Rory has a US Open win and a third & fifth on 2011 events that will drop off.

Either Tiger or Rory are going to stay No. 1, but the points average could actually drop. And the Snedeker comment is somewhat misplaced, he has had a great run back to the Barclays - but for OWGR calculations he still has 7 missed cuts and a WD that will keep his average points down, unless he comes back from an injury and keeps rolling out top 5 finishes.

Players play, tough players win!

Originally Posted by Wally Fairway

I'm not going to do the math - but Tiger & Rory both have good stretches from 2011 that are going to drop off the rankings between now and the Open Championship. And although the weighting for those events is reduced, Tiger has a T4 at the Masters, two seconds  and 2 wins from 2011 that drop off; and Rory has a US Open win and a third & fifth on 2011 events that will drop off.

Either Tiger or Rory are going to stay No. 1, but the points average could actually drop. And the Snedeker comment is somewhat misplaced, he has had a great run back to the Barclays - but for OWGR calculations he still has 7 missed cuts and a WD that will keep his average points down, unless he comes back from an injury and keeps rolling out top 5 finishes.

Tiger has 2 wins from 2011?  The only win I can think of from 2011 shouldn't count for ranking purposes.

Tiger has 2 wins from 2011?  The only win I can think of from 2011 shouldn't count for ranking purposes.

Nope, the Chevron counts: http://www.officialworldgolfranking.com/events/events_scorecard.sps?EventID=4891 But yes, that was his only win in 2011.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

But yes, that was his only win in 2011.

side note: First golf tournament I ever watched. Great playoff that had me hooked. Tiger killed it.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

Well if he holds on to the lead he has it back.  and he is over 95 percent on getting a victory when having the lead so I say Monday morning. Tiger 1, Rory 2

Driver: :tmade: R11S (9 degree)
Woods: :tmade: R11 3 (15.5 degree) & 5 (19 degree)
Irons: :tmade: R11 4-AW
Wedges: :tmade: ATV 54 & 60 degree
Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2012 Newport 2
Ball: :titleist: ProV1
Rangefinder: :bushnell: Tour V2

I don't think he can win anymore

....said a lot of people two years ago.

• Administrator
He's awesome, nearly unbelievable.. I just dont enjoy watching golf as much with him in the field.

You're vastly outnumbered by those who ONLY watch when he is playing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
One question: since the OWGR updates typically come out Monday morning, does Tiger Woods – assuming he wins the Arnold Palmer Invitational – have to wait another week to go to number one or will the rankings be updated Monday evening or Tuesday morning?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

One question: since the OWGR updates typically come out Monday morning, does Tiger Woods – assuming he wins the Arnold Palmer Invitational – have to wait another week to go to number one or will the rankings be updated Monday evening or Tuesday morning?

After Torrey Pines this year (Monday finish too), they updated the ranking on Tuesday.

If someone wants to check this, Tiger's win at Torrey this year finished on a Monday. You could check his point total the week of, the week before, and the week after. (I'd do it but I'm running out the door in a minute.) EDIT: Zwick beat me to it.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by iacas

You're vastly outnumbered by those who ONLY watch when he is playing.

Yeah.. But just ruins the experience for anyone who wants to see some golf rather than him? Sometimes the coverage would rather show him strolling down the fairway eating a chocolate rather than someone line up an actual shot?

Note: This thread is 3993 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!