IGNORED

Official 2013 U.S. Open at Merion Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3964 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There are 15 players within six shots of the lead. One of them is Michael Kim, the 19-year-old amateur; the other 14 are among the top 50 of the Official World Golf Ranking. There are no dark horses tomorrow; every player who has a chance to win tomorrow has earned the right to be in that position.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

There are 15 players within six shots of the lead. One of them is Michael Kim, the 19-year-old amateur; the other 14 are among the top 50 of the Official World Golf Ranking. There are no dark horses tomorrow; every player who has a chance to win tomorrow has earned the right to be in that position.

Just doing the math ...

It appears, at a quick glance, that the low round of the tournament is a 67.  There has been one each day - Phil Thursday, Horschel Friday, then Fowler today.  Further, there have only been 17 rounds under par the entire tournament (out of 360 or so total).  If we make the assumption that tomorrow's setup will be conducive to a 67 from somewhere, then it's also a pretty safe bet that at least one of the top 4 guys will, at the very least, be able to squeak out a 70.  I will also go out on a limb and make the assumption that somebody shooting back to back 67's is highly unlikely - It would be extraordinarily epic and I'd love to see it, but it's a longshot - so that leaves Ricky out.

So, basically, what that means is that your winner is coming from one of the last 4 groups.

(I realize I'm not making any bold predictions here ... just trying to look at it scientifically)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just doing the math ... It appears, at a quick glance, that the low round of the tournament is a 67.  There has been one each day - Phil Thursday, Horschel Friday, then Fowler today.  Further, there have only been 17 rounds under par the entire tournament (out of 360 or so total).  If we make the assumption that tomorrow's setup will be conducive to a 67 from somewhere, then it's also a pretty safe bet that at least one of the top 4 guys will, at the very least, be able to squeak out a 70.  I will also go out on a limb and make the assumption that somebody shooting back to back 67's is highly unlikely - It would be extraordinarily epic and I'd love to see it, but it's a longshot - so that leaves Ricky out. So, basically, what that means is that your winner is coming from one of the last 4 groups. (I realize I'm not making any bold predictions here ... just trying to look at it scientifically)

Sounds about right. Jason Day at 2-over is the last player with a realistic chance of winning, barring an improbable round further down the leaderboard.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Originally Posted by jshots

Guys, Tigers still got this... right?

Sure, Tiger is God. Anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot.

Originally Posted by jshots

Guys, Tigers still got this... right?

I mean, he's going out early.  If he can post a 60........

But I like to live on a little place called Earth.

I love this.  Tiger is out of it and the members who can't stand all the talk about Tiger keep bringing Tiger up.  I has to be a secret man crush.  If you don't want to have all the talk of Tiger, then don't talk about Tiger.

Back to the contenders:

I hope Luke's last hole doesn't weigh on his mind today.  He played well except for on 18.

My Man and pick Steve Stricker is still in it at even.  Stay steady Steve!

Charl looked really solid early on, but got a bit shaky toward the end.  Nerves?

Mahan could win this if he stays steady.  Same with Rose.  He got the jitters on the back 9 yesterday.

Phil could win this if he plays smart like on 18 yesterday.  Please Phil, Play Smart!

Horschel, Day and Fowler all have a shot, but I fear they will try to be aggressive and pull a Garcia.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by iacas

From this former south Florida resident, that's enough  stuff, please. :)

I commented on this in the chat room, but I am kind of tired of Tiger playing up his "injuries." Maybe it's the hockey fan in me, but when he shakes his wrist I almost rather he kept it to himself and even a moderate display comes off as "showy" to me. Like "look at me, I'm hitting bad shots because my wrist feels funny." Then when he's asked about it he'll play it off like he's a tough guy.

Anyway, at +2 (IF he makes the four footer), he's going to have to scratch out an awfully good rest of round one to get back into it. I don't think he can come back from a 74 or 75 in the first round.

Well said.

If he is fit, he should carry on. If he deemed himself unfit, he should perhaps walk away and not distract the other golfers that were playing alongside him and stop that wincing nonsense. Where was that spirit that won him the US Open beating Rocco Mediate? No one knew he was injured until it was all over and I'd rather see that spirit come through and win lots more admiration along the way.

Other than that, my thoughts on this year's US Open were:

1) Phil really taking his putting to the next level. Always inspiring to see someone putt so good and pure.

2) Hecklers of Sergio should really back off. Concentrate on watching the tournament and cheering for your favourite player instead of boo-ing someone. I don't really see how anyone could benefit from heckling a player; it doesn't make you a better person for sure. It is the US Open so please show some class.

Originally Posted by rowlf

Well said.

If he is fit, he should carry on. If he deemed himself unfit, he should perhaps walk away and not distract the other golfers that were playing alongside him and stop that wincing nonsense. Where was that spirit that won him the US Open beating Rocco Mediate? No one knew he was injured until it was all over and I'd rather see that spirit come through and win lots more admiration along the way.

Other than that, my thoughts on this year's US Open were:

1) Phil really taking his putting to the next level. Always inspiring to see someone putt so good and pure.

2) Hecklers of Sergio should really back off. Concentrate on watching the tournament and cheering for your favourite player instead of boo-ing someone. I don't really see how anyone could benefit from heckling a player; it doesn't make you a better person for sure. It is the US Open so please show some class.

why does wincing bother you?  I am sure it does not bother his playing partners as you suggest.  They probably don't even notice.  If he has an injury and it hurts, he will wince.  It is human nature.  He is not Vulcan.  Have you played with an elbow injury?  I have and it hurts.  But you push through it.  And you wince.

Even tough hockey players wince.  Nathan Horton of the Bruins was wincing last night every time he drove his injured shoulder into a Blackhawk.  Should I tell him to stop?  Should I tell him he is distracting the other hockey players with his nonsense?  Geez.

• Upvote 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

Originally Posted by boogielicious

why does wincing bother you?  I am sure it does not bother his playing partners as you suggest.  They probably don't even notice.  If he has an injury and it hurts, he will wince.  It is human nature.  He is not Vulcan.  Have you played with an elbow injury?  I have and it hurts.  But you push through it.  And you wince.

Even tough hockey players wince.  Nathan Horton of the Bruins was wincing last night every time he drove his injured shoulder into a Blackhawk.  Should I tell him to stop?  Should I tell him he is distracting the other hockey players with his nonsense?  Geez.

Have you played golf with a guy that would wince every single time he hit a golf shot? Yes, it does bother me. I haven't played through serious injury because I knew the best thing to do is to rest and recover if I have one.

To put it in parallel example with tennis, this is the reason why players were so annoyed with Djokovic earlier in his career. He would look sick every time he is losing a point and feel like he is going to lose a match just to put his opponent off or maybe find himself an excuse. He literally looked like he was dying.

C'mon Charl. Do it, boykie!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by rowlf

Have you played golf with a guy that would wince every single time he hit a golf shot? Yes, it does bother me. I haven't played through serious injury because I knew the best thing to do is to rest and recover if I have one.

To put it in parallel example with tennis, this is the reason why players were so annoyed with Djokovic earlier in his career. He would look sick every time he is losing a point and feel like he is going to lose a match just to put his opponent off or maybe find himself an excuse. He literally looked like he was dying.

So you would give up playing the US Open so your wincing wouldn't bother others?  I seriously doubt it.  I have played and raced through injuries.  My wincing did not bother my competitors.  They didn't even notice.

Scott

My Swing Thread

For any players who would criticize Tiger wincing after a shot, all I want to know is, how many US Opens have they won, including a fifth round plus a 91st hole, on a broken leg?

I think he is playing up the arm injury a bit.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I believe most if not all elite sports person work very hard and most are carrying some sort of injury one way or the other going into a competition. You are unlikely to find anyone 100% fit with no injury whatsoever.

My gripe with Tiger is that why does it have to be one person who would make the field feel like they are winning only because the No.1 man is injured? Why can't he carry on with a bit more dignity? It wasn't the first time he was injured. He has been injured more seriously with a freaking potential career ending ACL and he did not wince once and in spite of that, and he won the Open and a lot of hearts in the process. I just find it so below him to do that and it frustrates me.

In any game and any competition, I am unlikely to enjoy playing with an opponent that display his injuries true or fake. It just put me off and made any potential victory feels hollow and unworthy. Similarly, I wouldn't want to put my opponents in the same situation. I think the game and opponents deserve a lot more respect than that.  If I am unfit, sick and ill, I will withdraw politely.

If you look at the top of the leaderboard, and take out the long shots (Day and Fowler), I think I like Mahan and Stricker the best.  Phil is Phil, and I think it's only a matter of time before his erratic tee shots catch up to him.  Mahan and Stricker have been playing consistent golf all week.  Mahan has been hitting all the fairways and Stricker can putt as everyone knows.  These are the only two out of the top groups who haven't ran into a lot of trouble at some point.

It should be a great afternoon of golf but I'll take those two and if you forced me to pick one, I'd probably take Mahan (of course I also will take home a nice little 2.5k payout on my 50/1 bet).

Note: This thread is 3964 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!