IGNORED

Official 2013 U.S. Open at Merion Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3976 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by RPMPIRE

Okay. I wasn't sure which hole this was uttered, but I thought he was referring to hole 17 and 18.

I believe it was the 2nd par 5.  He hit a perfect 2w or whatever it is, and it rolled out a decent amount, and when it came to rest the broadcast went back to Phil walking off the tee, who could be heard saying "...275, that's bullbleep" (IIRC), while turned back towards the direction of the tee box (where officials and playing partners were).  It was unclear to me at the time exactly what he was saying, as all I heard was the number 275 and what appeared to be a bleeped out curse word.  But it sounded like he was complaining about the length of it, which I found odd.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Wait...Phil lets out a BS bombs and no one in the media is trying to call him out on that?!

To me, it sounds like a false sense of sympathy he's trying to express on behalf of the other shorter hitters. He knows damn well he can hit it long and distance for a hole isn't the issue. It also could be he was frustrated because none of the holes, including par 5s, are no guaranteed birdies that he needed to tie Rose.

17 was set up on Sunday for players to brdie. Forward tee, back pin...hell, Phill birdied it from 246 on Saturday. Then he hit it left off the tee on 18 (shades of Winged Foot) and his chances were gone, not that his chances were good at that point anyway, as nobody birdied 18 on Sunday. But you can't shoot 4 over on Sunday in the US Open and expect to win.

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:
But more than 100 years after its founding, it (Merion) remains mostly a haven for rich white men.

Which makes it exactly like about 99% of all private golf clubs in the country. I don't even see the point of that sentence.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Which makes it exactly like about 99% of all private golf clubs in the country. I don't even see the point of that sentence.

This. "Country Club" does not typically make you think of poor black women..

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

This. "Country Club" does not typically make you think of poor black women..

Just FYI, that was taken from this article about Philadelphia private clubs: http://www.phillymag.com/articles/feature-members-only/

The only point I was trying to make is that Bob Costas saw fit to rip CBS and their announcers for not making light of Augusta's controversial past during the Masters, so logic would tell me that if he's announcing the US Open, he should do the same for Merion.  I can't say for sure he didn't because I didn't watch the whole telecast Saturday ... but I'm suspecting he did not.

That was all.  I don't think it's an issue, but Costas did 3 months ago, so just wondering why he doesn't anymore?

Bob Costas is an insufferable puke.  Too bad Luke's errant drive didn't clock Costas.  I would have paid extra to see that!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

so logic would tell me that if he's announcing the US Open, he should do the same for Merion.

There are a couple big differentiating factors from the excerpt you posted alone, which would be significant enough to prevent him from doing what he correctly did for Augusta.  As most have already mentioned, what was written about Merion would likely apply to the vast majority of the private country clubs across the country.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

There are a couple big differentiating factors from the excerpt you posted alone, which would be significant enough to prevent him from doing what he correctly did for Augusta.  As most have already mentioned, what was written about Merion would likely apply to the vast majority of the private country clubs across the country.

I'd like to know if Costas is a member of any country club. It's hard to imagine him not being in one.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Bob Costas is an insufferable puke.  Too bad Luke's errant drive didn't clock Costas.  I would have paid extra to see that!

Now tell us how you really feel?

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

I'd like to know if Costas is a member of any country club. It's hard to imagine him not being in one.

The Lilliput Country Club.

My favorite Costa trick is he is always seated when interviewing people so as not to appear much shorter than the interviewee.  He did that when he interviewed the US Women's Gymnasts after they won the team gold.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

The Lilliput Country Club.

My favorite Costa trick is he is always seated when interviewing people so as not to appear much shorter than the interviewee.  He did that when he interviewed the US Women's Gymnasts after they won the team gold.

I would think Costas would be around 6 inches taller than the women's gymnastics team.

Best Regards,
Ryan

:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2

I would think Costas would be around 6 inches taller than the women's gymnastics team.

I think you're right ... google puts him at 5'-7".

I would think that he should interview Tom Cruise and they should both stand on an elementary school basketball court with 9' rims, thus making them both appear to be 6'-6" giants!!!

(By the way, I'm the one who brought up the Costas-bashing stuff and I just wanted to say that I like him.  Weird, I know.  I just think he was very wrong on the Augusta thing and wanted to point it out.  Otherwise, I like him and all of his shortness!)

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I think you're right ... google puts him at 5'-7".

I guess that's why he only interviews the women's gymnastics team and not the women's swimming team.

Best Regards,
Ryan

Something about him makes me want to deck him. So ****ing annoying. Everything that comes out of his mouth is trash.

:whistle:

Originally Posted by jshots

Something about him makes me want to deck him. So ****ing annoying. Everything that comes out of his mouth is trash.

Yeah, you could also substitute "Feinstein" or "Alex Miceli" for his name there....

Originally Posted by minitour

Yeah, you could also substitute "Feinstein" or "Alex Miceli" for his name there....

What ever happened to Miceli? Now that you mentioned his name I haven't seen him on TGC in a long time. Did they finally 86 him?

Originally Posted by LucasBP

I guess I may be in the minority, but I prefer the winner of MOST tournaments around the -5 mark. Although I do undestand that things are different at the U.S. Open and that's one of the reasons it's very special. The problems I personally do NOT like with the winner finishing above par is that the players seem to worry more about being safe. Which is sometimes the best routes, but no one is going to remember a playing laying up from the rough to get a better lie so that he can get on the green and ultimately win the Master's, but we will all remember Bubba's miraculous shot out from the trees which high extrememly high risks and even higher rewards. I want to see the professionals make the shots that I can not. Which is most mind you, but it's the risks that we remember.

The way I look at it, each Major should offer a different challenge.  The Masters puts a premium on hitting the right spots, especially on the greens, and on putting.  The US Open puts the emphasis on playing tee to green, and recovery.  The Open Championship puts the players on classic links courses and usually challenges them to put up with wind and weather, with a few quirky holes that just add to the interest.  The PGA Championship is sometimes nothing more than just a Tour stop with a better field, although it's better than it was back in the 90's.

Each is very different, and memorable because of those differences.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Fourputt

The way I look at it, each Major should offer a different challenge.  The Masters puts a premium on hitting the right spots, especially on the greens, and on putting.  The US Open puts the emphasis on playing tee to green, and recovery.  The Open Championship puts the players on classic links courses and usually challenges them to put up with wind and weather, with a few quirky holes that just add to the interest.  The PGA Championship is sometimes nothing more than just a Tour stop with a better field, although it's better than it was back in the 90's.

Each is very different, and memorable because of those differences.

The problem with Merion was the rough was ridiculously penalizing. There were holes where if you missed the fairway, you hope that you end up in a bunker so you at least get a decent lie, that doesn't really work for me. I don't personally enjoy watching golfers struggle, I like it when a few guys are on their games and really have a chance to go low.

:whistle:

Note: This thread is 3976 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!