IGNORED

Is it better to play fast or play by the rules?

trackster
Note: This thread is 3915 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Is it better to play fast or play by the rules?

• Play Fast
    • Play by the Rules

For recreational golf, I would rather someone played at a decent pace rather than paid attention to every little nit picking rule.

R7

Edge 3-SW with Apex4 Steel shafts

Burner 2.0 AW

Putter

Street Shoes

Glove

Here's the thing, there isn't that many rules of golf. Its a pretty simple game to follow, yes? There is probably one rule that would cause someone to take to long, its a lost ball. OB you can hit a provisional, but a lost ball is the only thing that really slows down play significantly. But people can help with that. Have the three other golfers stand behind you and watch your ball, its a curtious to look out for one other's golf ball in flight.

Honestly lost golf balls don't happen that often

Number 1 thing that slows down play of golf. Not playing ready golf. Basically sitting around watching other people hit there approach shots. Always waiting in order to play. Ok that is one rule i can ditch, furthest form the hole is a useless rule except for competitions. If your ready, and the other guys are not, hit.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In order of priority I would put:

1) Play fast

2) Play by the rules

3) Play with rigid etiquette

The last thing you want is really for someone to spend 10mins looking for the ball and then walk back to the tee when it could not be found. Playing out of turn is also fine by me.

I'm all for playing fast but one of the things which adds time to rounds is putting out everything.  I don't really like to play with guys who knock your ball back to you when you are left with a putt longer than the length of the "putter grip"...grip...not the entire putter.  Personally, I prefer to putt everything out.  Yes, I know it takes a bit longer but when people give you 2foot, 3foot putts all day everyday and then you play in tournaments...you have to putt those out.  Just think it is a bad habit to get into.

My buddy is always awarding himself optimistic gimmies of various length. Usually I don't bother saying anything even though he likes to crow about his score but one round I made a little comment about how if we were ever playing for $$ he'd have to putt those out. On the next hole, with no prompting from me, he made a big show about putting out his 1 footer and lipped out to 2 feet. :-D

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by trackster

For the average golfer do you think it is more important to play the rules to a T or play at an acceptable pace.

Except, guys, OP asked about the "average" golfer ... which I take to mean "not us on here."  I take average to mean not necessarily really good, so probably 20-25 handicap if he even carries one, also not terribly avid so he's not spending a lot of time on golf forums, nor is he/she probably extremely adept at the rules.

With that as the definition, I'd take "fast" every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I'm not thinking of myself because like all of you, I'm playing fast and by the rules, but moreso I'm thinking of the guys in my way.  In which case, "just hurry the heck up and move on!!"

Except, guys, OP asked about the "average" golfer ... which I take to mean "not us on here."  I take average to mean not necessarily really good, so probably 20-25 handicap if he even carries one, also not terribly avid so he's not spending a lot of time on golf forums, nor is he/she probably extremely adept at the rules. With that as the definition, I'd take "fast" every day of the week and twice on Sundays. I'm not thinking of myself because like all of you, I'm playing fast and by the rules, but moreso I'm thinking of the guys in my way.  In which case, "just hurry the heck up and move on!!"

:-( At least I'm fast.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

If they are my opponent - by the rules.  If they are in the group in front of me - faster.  Ha!  That being said:

Originally Posted by Roblar

If I think I might not find a ball after a shot (usually off the tee), I'll hit a provisional, but sometimes, you just get to where you think your ball is, and it's gone.  In that case, I don't do the 'stroke AND distance' thing and walk back and hit another. I just give myself a penalty and take a drop (and the distance).

Maybe I didn't totally understand what you said here, but I have had arguments with guys about this. It kinda sounds like you said that instead of going back to the tee and taking a penalty stroke - that you drop where it went into the woods and take a penalty stroke.  And you do this in the interest of not slowing down play.  Forgive me if I misinterpreted.

Anyway, I know guys who want to do this.  And I am fine with them not going back to the tee.  If anyone is behind you, you can't really do that.  But if you drop at the woods and take a penalty stroke, you gifted yourself the 200whatever yards down the fairway that represent the 'distance' portion of the penalty.  If you want to try to replicate the rule, you would need to penalize yourself 2 strokes.  One for the stroke and one for the distance.  And even that assumes you would have hit it that far and in play if you were to have walked back.

I have trouble explaining this to people and I don't know why they don't get it.

Originally Posted by flintcreek6412

Recreational golfers can play by whatever rules they want as long as they keep their pace of play appropriate.  I could care less what rules they bend as long as it's not a tournament or being submitted for HC.  But I do think it's important at some time that they actually know what the rules are so they might realistically know how they really score.

I wonder about this too - and not really in relation to the quoted post.  But there seems to be a sentiment whereby only certain rounds get turned in.  But I think I read that for those that carry a USGA handicap, that you are supposed to turn in every single round.  I could see maybe not a round where you are specifically practicing - playing two balls or something.  But you are supposed to turn the all in, right?

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Except, guys, OP asked about the "average" golfer ... which I take to mean "not us on here."  I take average to mean not necessarily really good, so probably 20-25 handicap if he even carries one, also not terribly avid so he's not spending a lot of time on golf forums, nor is he/she probably extremely adept at the rules.

With that as the definition, I'd take "fast" every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I'm not thinking of myself because like all of you, I'm playing fast and by the rules, but moreso I'm thinking of the guys in my way.  In which case, "just hurry the heck up and move on!!"

But that's the thing... those "average" golfers aren't doing either. The average hack out there doesn't come close to following the rules to the letter (taking drops for ob, mulligans, etc.) and a vast majority of them are still slow.

My problem with this thread is that the question is posed in such a way that it's one or the other and it's just isn't. You can one, both, or neither, but one doesn't really have an effect on the other. I feel like this thread is just looking for justification to bend the rules for the sake of playing quicker.

• Upvote 1

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

But that's the thing... those "average" golfers aren't doing either. The average hack out there doesn't come close to following the rules to the letter (taking drops for ob, mulligans, etc.) and a vast majority of them are still slow.

Correct ... and my thinking is that if they had to improve in one of those categories, I couldn't care less what rules they play by so long as they sped up.  However, why would anybody really care what rules other people were playing by, so ...

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

My problem with this thread is that the question is posed in such a way that it's one or the other and it's just isn't. You can one, both, or neither, but one doesn't really have an effect on the other. I feel like this thread is just looking for justification to bend the rules for the sake of playing quicker.

You are probably right. ;)

Most cheaters are kind of slow anyway. So i believe that slow golf and not following the rules go hand in hand.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Alright, I feel like this thread has been in the making after reading many of "problems" of golf discussed on this forum.  For most people we can play plenty fast and within the rules, but most of the complaints are about people who would probably have no interest in joining a golf forum in the first place.  For the average golfer do you think it is more important to play the rules to a T or play at an acceptable pace.

I personally think that speed is more important.  Most golfers won't end up playing major tournaments so the fact that the play perfectly by the rules doesn't really matter.  However, if we start to lose the rules, the game as we know it may start to deteriorate.  Anyone else care to weigh in on the subject.

False dichotomy.

Originally Posted by tomvk77

Well first off all i'm a guy who hits a professional ball pretty fast,

i'll give the advice always. Hit a pro so you can speed up.

Only bad thing is, if you hit the prof well, you don't take that much time searching

for the first one.

So i'm more a by the rules kinda guy. But however if it happens, only when on a non Q round i would except

but the next shot will be the 4th

Really?  I'd much rather be lying 1 in some crappy spot off in the boonies than lying 3, bombed down the middle.

Originally Posted by saevel25

Here's the thing, there isn't that many rules of golf. Its a pretty simple game to follow, yes? There is probably one rule that would cause someone to take to long, its a lost ball. OB you can hit a provisional, but a lost ball is the only thing that really slows down play significantly. But people can help with that. Have the three other golfers stand behind you and watch your ball, its a curtious to look out for one other's golf ball in flight.

Honestly lost golf balls don't happen that often

Number 1 thing that slows down play of golf. Not playing ready golf. Basically sitting around watching other people hit there approach shots. Always waiting in order to play. Ok that is one rule i can ditch, furthest form the hole is a useless rule except for competitions. If your ready, and the other guys are not, hit.

I'm fortunate, that the course I play the most is not very conducive for losing balls.  I will frequently play 2 or 3 rounds with the same ball.  But that being said, I've played other courses where lost balls were not uncommon AT ALL!

Originally Posted by rowlf

In order of priority I would put:

1) Play fast

2) Play by the rules

3) Play with rigid etiquette

The last thing you want is really for someone to spend 10mins looking for the ball and then walk back to the tee when it could not be found. Playing out of turn is also fine by me.

If they spent 10 minutes looking for the ball then they aren't doing either one.  They aren't playing fast and they aren't playing by the rules.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Alright, I feel like this thread has been in the making after reading many of "problems" of golf discussed on this forum.  For most people we can play plenty fast and within the rules, but most of the complaints are about people who would probably have no interest in joining a golf forum in the first place.  For the average golfer do you think it is more important to play the rules to a T or play at an acceptable pace.

I personally think that speed is more important.  Most golfers won't end up playing major tournaments so the fact that the play perfectly by the rules doesn't really matter.  However, if we start to lose the rules, the game as we know it may start to deteriorate.  Anyone else care to weigh in on the subject.

They are not mutually exclusive.  Your poll is meaningless.  I've been playing by the rules for more than 20 years, and I'm one of the quicker players you'll find (and my regular fourball plays as I do).  The rules don't cause slow play.  That's an unfounded myth.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I think a provisional ball is WAY under-utilized by the non-avid golfer. As many have already stated, my group and I rarely have a lost ball and have to go back to the tee to rehit (granted, our caps range from 14 down to scratch and we know our course very well). For most of our lost balls, the player played a provisional because it was obvious by all four players that the ball would be iffy to find. On the rare occasions when there is a lost ball without a provisional, the player goes back to the tee and hits another (we are all walkers). Meanwhile, the rest of the group plays their shots into the green and walk ahead to try to keep play at a decent pace (3:45 is our goal). We play for money with a blind draw deciding two man teams after the round, so accurate scores are important. I'll have it happen to one of the guys in my group maybe 3 times the entire year...

Originally Posted by meenman

Most cheaters are kind of slow anyway. So i believe that slow golf and not following the rules go hand in hand.

and there are not a lot of super fast players on the PGA Tour either...are those guys cheating also?

To me, you can categorize reasons for slow play this way:

Easily to Avoid/Improve Upon- i.e. not ready to hit and other inefficiencies like leaving clubs/cart in the wrong position or taking more than 5 minutes to look for your ball.  Bad players tend to make these mistakes but occasionally you see good players do it also.

Hard to Avoid/Improve Upon- LACK OF SKILL PLAYING THE GAME.  i.e. hitting too many shots and having to find too many balls

Trying (too?) Hard- taking a long time to figure wind, strategy, break and long pre-shot routines.  This is why a twosome on the PGA Tour can take 4 hours to play or why you can see 5+ hour tournament rounds some places.

I suppose that following the rules falls into the middle category.  Like others have said, it is NOT the main cause of current slow play conditions, BUT I certainly don't want the hacks in front of me to start following the rules UNLESS they improve in another area as the would play even slower if they followed all the rules.  In that sense, speed of play is a justification for a bad player not following the rules, but they should also look to be ready to hit when it is there turn and avoid other inefficiencies that slow them down.

and there are not a lot of super fast players on the PGA Tour either...are those guys cheating also?

I said that cheaters are generally slow players, not that slow players cheat. There is a huge difference.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Originally Posted by meenman

I said that cheaters are generally slow players

Not around here. A very fast golf cart is a prerequisite for the cheater so he can get to his ball (or where he wishes it was) before anybody else.

The biggest cheater I know is fast as Hell and has never lost a ball or had a bad lie or an obstructed shot.

• Upvote 1

To answer the OP:

Yes.

How much longer does it take to play by the rules? 10 minutes? If I made my own rules I could finish a round in an hour and a half.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

I would tend to agree with those that said it's not one or the other, playing by the rules does not make you plan slow.  Hitting a ball OB or in a possible lost position and playing a provisional takes very little time.  What takes time is not being ready when it's your turn, Keegan Bradley's two step shuffle before every shot and lining up your fourth putt.

While I would love to see everyone play at my pace, it will never, ever happen, some people just aren't wired to play like that, just a fact of nature.  My brother is one of those, he moves slow when he's at his ball, he's always been that way, last one to the car, last one to unload, last one to get his shoes on, he just moves slow.  It can be frustrating, I do try to do little things to keep up the pace, like find his ball first before finding mine but you can only do so much.  So I really don't see this as an either or situation, slow play has much less to do with the rules than the nature of the players playing.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Note: This thread is 3915 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!