IGNORED

Etiquette: Having lunch after 9

David-Dj Bryant
Note: This thread is 3600 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Really?

Except for mid-week late twilight players, I'd call it way less than 5% here. I can't even remember the last time I noticed someone quitting after 9.

Interesting difference in demographics.

I often set out to play 18 but stop at 9 because it's going so slow.

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nope, you don't.  There was no "slot".  You took the spot that the group behind that group had occupied, and subsequently slowed down the entire course behind you.

There's nothing wrong with grabbing a dog at the turn.  Hell, take a nap if you want to.   Just as long as you maintain your position directly behind the group in front of you.

we stayed within pace of play rules of the local golf club though. Golf course wasn't seemingly that busy either on that day. :-O

we stayed within pace of play rules of the local golf club though. Golf course wasn't seemingly that busy either on that day.

I hate it when people want to fall back on that. You have a duty to keep up with the group in front of you regardless.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Really?

Except for mid-week late twilight players, I'd call it way less than 5% here. I can't even remember the last time I noticed someone quitting after 9.

Interesting difference in demographics.

Yeah, it's not common around here, either. At this time of year there are people who will go out at 6 p.m. only intending to make 9, but there are damn few who bail out at the turn with plenty of daylight left.

John

Wow!?!?

I think I woke this thread up after almost a year b/c of a couple of confrontations I had over a six month period at the local municipal where you have no choice businessman to Leavenworth encourage to go to the bathroom and grab a beer (the beer getting takes less of Han a minute so doesnt change anything.)

I was trying to figure out etiquette and have come to the conclusion that it will just work itself out at this course. I will be polite and just work it out since there are no Marshall to speak of.

As to all these posts, both sides are coming across as silly internet commandos.

I think this is much ado about nothing as far as total time of play goes. Every course I play on from the cheap muni to nice, well run semi private courses have a high percentage of players that only play nine. I can't remember ever seeing the back nine jammed up, even on days when they are starting people of on ten.

The drop off factor hasn't been mentioned here, but I would guess it ranges from 30-60 percent, even on the weekends.

Not even close.  9 hole players are a tiny minority on my home course.  Weekdays we get maybe 10 tee times off the back side for 9 holes early - mostly guys getting in an early nine before work.  Then for twilight we get the guys who pay the lower rate for 9 to 13 or 14 holes (our twilight rate only starts a couple hours before sunset), whatever they can get in before dark.  Most of the day the course is jammed with 18 hole players.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I've never even heard of a regulation course offering nine hole rates beyond maybe the first hour or so in the morning off tee #10 (other than twilight rates, which are often implicitly "< 18 holes" rates)

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Most courses here have 9 hole rates regardless of the time. Some don't but it's not worth fussing over. I pay the 18 hole rate at my home course to play 9 late because it's cheap enough to justify, $28 with cart and unlimited range until close. Golf Now has 9 hole deals all the time and anyone that watched the US Open probably noticed the play 9 commercials. It's getting more popular.

Dave :-)

The drop off factor hasn't been mentioned here, but I would guess it ranges from 30-60 percent, even on the weekends.

I guess in my area things are different.

There are no 9 hole rates for the front 9 in the mornings. There are twilight rates of course.

The drop off factor is nearly zero (unless someone in the group can only play 9).

For those that only want to play nine holes in the morning there are special back 9 only rates. But the times are very limited as they are squeezed between the maintenance staff finishing and the front 9 groups hitting the back nine.

But a drop off rate of 30-60 percent is huge. That means at least 1/3 to more then 1/2 of the groups that start off the front nine do not play 18 holes. Are they charged for 18 or is there a lower 9 hole rate?

If there is a lower 9 hole rate how does the course survive. Teeing off the front 9 only at a lower 9 hole rate would eliminate the revenue from the back 9 for those groups or does the course try to match up with groups wishing to play the back nine.

The only courses that I can see this easily working are 27 hole facilities.

Even at my private club (where you are paying due regardless of how much or how little you play) I don't think the drop off approaches 1 group in a day.

Which part of the country are you in?

Oh and sorry for getting off topic.

I live in the suburbs outside B'ham, AL. Counting public and private, there are over 25 courses withing a 30 minute drive of my house. I just spent a few minutes counting on my fingers to say that. You can't drive down the road around here and spit out the window without hitting a golf course. 25 is a conservative/quick count. Sure it is well over 30 if I took the time to write 'em down. Half of these are country clubs where I doubt I will ever have a chance to play. I don't have a clue what goes on there. Granted I have only played golf less than a year, and my comments are not scientifically based, but 9 holes are very common. I play mostly on Sat. and sometimes Sun. afternoon. Twilight rates after 2. Or at the local muni or State Park. The percentage of those playing 9 is certainly lower for morning T-times, but I can't imagine it touches the 5% range. I would say at least 15-20% drop off in the morning and the afternoons go up to over 50%. The State Park course that is about 20 min. from my house is the nicest SP course in the state. I have never been pushed on the back nine, even though the morning and afternoon T times are packed on the weekend. My son and I spent about 30 minutes on the 18th green about a month ago chipping and putting and no one ever came to the T box behind us. 5 or 6 on a Sat. afternoon. At least a couple of groups behind us b/c we saw them teeing off on the 14 or 15th. But we left b/c we got hungry, not to get out of anyone's way. The 2 nice semi private/public courses that I play are not that much different. Bettter managed so they will have people start on 10 when applicable, but always thinner on the back nine on weekend afternoons.

I live in the suburbs outside B'ham, AL.

The State Park course that is about 20 min. from my house is the nicest SP course in the state. I have never been pushed on the back nine, even though the morning and afternoon T times are packed on the weekend.

I couldn't help but smile at that. :-D

There are only 6 of them (well I think it's 5 right now since Joe Wheeler shut down from June to November to replace the greens and fix the cart paths). :bugout:

Must be nice having that option!!!! Probably will be nice when they get it done. They already re-did the greens at Guntersville State park.

I have heard that Oak Mountain is nice for a state park course. Been meaning to play there sometime.

I would hate to play it that way. I get in some sort of a rush and going for lunch would not help me at all.

I don't think it's nice for the players behind you, you have to skip in again after lunch and that can narrow

the gaps down and people have to wait a lot and that is something most people ( me included ) hate.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

I couldn't help but smile at that.

There are only 6 of them (well I think it's 5 right now since Joe Wheeler shut down from June to November to replace the greens and fix the cart paths).

Must be nice having that option!!!! Probably will be nice when they get it done. They already re-did the greens at Guntersville State park.

I have heard that Oak Mountain is nice for a state park course. Been meaning to play there sometime.

Do you ever play the RTJ Trail courses? I travel to Dothan occasionally and play Highland Oaks sometimes when I'm down there. What an awesome course!

- Shane

Do you ever play the RTJ Trail courses? I travel to Dothan occasionally and play Highland Oaks sometimes when I'm down there. What an awesome course!

Haven't played any of them (which is ridiculous). We talk about playing some of them a lot but never seem to go. I even had a free round set up one time at Silver Lakes but had to cancel because my son had a medical emergency.

After going to the LPGA tournament in Prattville we've been wanting to go back and play that course to see how our shots match up with what they were doing.

Haven't played any of them (which is ridiculous). We talk about playing some of them a lot but never seem to go. I even had a free round set up one time at Silver Lakes but had to cancel because my son had a medical emergency.

After going to the LPGA tournament in Prattville we've been wanting to go back and play that course to see how our shots match up with what they were doing.

Definitely play them when you can. They have really nice food, and you can order it from your cell phone. ;-)

What part of AL are you from?

- Shane

Oxmoor valley is close to me. 2 18 hole courses and a par 3. I played one of the full courses last fall. Very nice. Havent been back b/c I play with my teenage son. Two expensive for me having to pay for two. Maybe for a birthday etc. Oak Mt. Is the only State Park I have played. Is Gunntersville worth the two hour+ drive? I have been toldmthe other park courses arent in that good of a shape.

This is all really strange to me. I cannot think of one course that does not have a 9 hole rate in here in NE Ohio. Literally every course within 50 miles of me provides a 9 hole rate.

Same down south Spyder. Everywhere has nine-hole rates. Many play nine holes. In fact, I can't get barely get my brother to play 18.

Yeah, I know a lot of people who will always start by paying for 9 to see the pace of play and course conditions before paying the difference to play the back. Courses will typically take the 9 hole rate and charge you that. Then, if you opt to play the remaining 9, they'll charge you the difference so that you're paying the 18 hole rate - rather than two 9 hole rates which would cost more.

Note: This thread is 3600 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!