David in FL

Forum Profile Handicap Indices....

1,957 posts / 98314 viewsLast Reply

Mine has not been current for the past several months. It was current when I joined but I have not updated since that time. Since then, I have fluctuated from a low of 10.1 to a high of 14.2. The reason it is not current is due to laziness, for the most part.

I suppose that since I took the time to post in this thread, I have no excuse for not updating it now, so kudos to the OP for getting me to update!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Mine is current, correct and official (NCGA) as of the 7/15 revision.  I sometimes don't like to update it when it starts going the wrong direction, but I've learned to deal with it.

Mines current and correct but not really official. I don't have a USGA card, I use golflink.net to calculate it.

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

You're not independent. The same goes with handicaps. If you're playing in tournaments that require handicaps, they really don't mean anything if they aren't certified. It seems like most tournaments don't require a certified 'cap though.

I was using an analogy to help explain why an official handicap is taken. I'd be a pretty lousy accountant if I didn't know that! ;-)

EDIT: I am a pretty lousy accountant, but that's not the reason LOL

Mine current and correct, however it is not official. I use OOBgolf to track my stats and maintain my index. The reason I haven't gotten an official one is because I do not belong to a course or club, and I am not familiar with how to get one outside of that path. (Can you maintain an "official" handicap solely online?)

Also, since graduating college, I have not played in any handicap tournaments. Although I would like to play some tournaments in the near future, so I should probably get on top of this!

Originally Posted by McMullenCPA

Quote:

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

You're not independent. The same goes with handicaps. If you're playing in tournaments that require handicaps, they really don't mean anything if they aren't certified. It seems like most tournaments don't require a certified 'cap though.

I was using an analogy to help explain why an official handicap is taken. I'd be a pretty lousy accountant if I didn't know that! ;-)

Indeed you would, sir. It was a good analogy, just bringing it back full circle for the folks here that aren't as familiar with SOX.

Originally Posted by butt3r3dt0ast

Mine current and correct, however it is not official. I use OOBgolf to track my stats and maintain my index. The reason I haven't gotten an official one is because I do not belong to a course or club, and I am not familiar with how to get one outside of that path. (Can you maintain an "official" handicap solely online?)

Also, since graduating college, I have not played in any handicap tournaments. Although I would like to play some tournaments in the near future, so I should probably get on top of this!

FWIW - in Georgia, you can join the state golf association (GSGA).  From there, you declare a 'home course' from a list.  You don't have to be a member of a Country Club or anything.  Then they give you a GHIN number and you start putting scores in.

I'm sure you can do this right in the pro shop of any of the clubs on the list - but I did it online.  Now that I have it, it seems easy.  But I remember having trouble getting info on how to do it.

Originally Posted by Meltdwhiskey

FWIW - in Georgia, you can join the state golf association (GSGA).  From there, you declare a 'home course' from a list.  You don't have to be a member of a Country Club or anything.  Then they give you a GHIN number and you start putting scores in.

I'm sure you can do this right in the pro shop of any of the clubs on the list - but I did it online.  Now that I have it, it seems easy.  But I remember having trouble getting info on how to do it.

Once you receive your GHIN number, there's a great little USGA GHIN app to allow you to post from your smart phone too.  Nothing easier.

I haven't even golfed 10 full 18 rounds outside of league yet. And even adding that I'm probably only at about 15 rounds. I could just put the league hc on my profile but it's for 9 holes so it's not indicative of what a full 18 would be.

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

I haven't even golfed 10 full 18 rounds outside of league yet. And even adding that I'm probably only at about 15 rounds. I could just put the league hc on my profile but it's for 9 holes so it's not indicative of what a full 18 would be.

In your league, do you play by the rules and keep an accurate individual score, or is it some other game?  If so, you can enter 9 hole scores (played and scored properly) into the GHIN system and they will combine for 18 hole rounds.  Nothing at all wrong with that.....

Originally Posted by David in FL

In your league, do you play by the rules and keep an accurate individual score, or is it some other game?  If so, you can enter 9 hole scores (played and scored properly) into the GHIN system and they will combine for 18 hole rounds.  Nothing at all wrong with that.....

I play by the rules and have accurate scores, can't swear that everyone else does though. I don't know if I can get all my previous scores however... If I can, I'll get them in there and keep it up to date. Not sure what I need to do to get a GHIN number though, hah.

*edit* ok, I see that it costs $30 a year for "official" handicaps through GHIN. Most likely I'll just have to wait on next year to worry about doing that. I don't think it makes much difference for me at this point since I won't be joining any tournaments.

Unofficial but current.   In fact, I've updated it a few days ago as soon as it went up to 14's from 13's.   I will be keeping it current.   My best handicap ever was in 12s.

I can probably reduce it to 10 if I go to range & putting green before I tee off.    I have no time and patience and the 1st golf ball I touch is when I hit my driver from 1st hole.  My 1st 4 hole scores are horrific and I play catch up the rest of the way with bogey or better golf.

Correct, current and official, for me.

Originally Posted by kw purp

Its current, but I just take what my average score is over par. This year my average score is 82.2, so 10 is the handicap I say. I havent played a course that wasnt part 72 yet this year. I dont know the formula or care enough to really go through it all. 10 is a good enough display of my playing ability.

That is fine for keeping track of your progress but it has nothing t all to do with what your handicap would be.  And so long as you don't play in tournaments or play against anyone on a handicapped basis that is fine.

Originally Posted by trackster

Yeah, but the thing with handicaps is that they are official if you pay for them to be official.  That is it.  It is still you keeping your own score and you entering your own scores into the computer.

No there is also the peer review of the scores, which should be taking place.

Originally Posted by Meltdwhiskey

How do they finesses the peer review requirements of the USGA?  I'm not a member of a country club but I AM a member of a club and there is a handicap committee and chairman that are responsible for peer review.  And the general membership is also responsible for peer review.  It almost sounds like they are completely ignoring Section 8 of the USGA Handicap Manual.

http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Handicap-System-Manual/Rule-08/

Not totally current, I think I was down a little in the last last couple revisions to 31.7, several scorecards in my bag that I need to post though and that should get me down into the 20's . :) USGA official though...

Originally Posted by McMullenCPA

Before I calculated my handicap I just called myself a bogey golfer. Handicap measures your potential and not your average though. When I actually calculated my handicap I realized my handicap was a few strokes better than bogey golf, although lately with my back hurting it's been creeping up but I hope it doesn't creep up any higher. I'm playing today and I have REALLY high expectations.

This is the recipe for a club break

My handicap is official and current as of the July 15 revision. I just started carrying an official USGA handicap last year, and I wasn't sure how it was calculated. I do now.

Current but will likely be trending ^ on the first. I enjoyed being in the 3's for all of 15 days. It is official through the WSGA as well.