IGNORED

The Films and Movies Thread

iacas

They're saying all the dog fighting coverage is real, but some of these close passes seem awfully dangerous. Has to be some VFX going on, no?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, nevets88 said:

They're saying all the dog fighting coverage is real, but some of these close passes seem awfully dangerous. Has to be some VFX going on, no?

If you are talking about the final flyby and the mountain shot, that isn't dog fighting. The stunt where he goes in between the other 2 is the only suspicious thing I saw. This is one that I will definitely be seeing though. I've always loved Top Gun (even have a F-14 Tomcat pinball machine in the basement), and I am glad it isn't a remake. I hope that they don't over do it on the nostalgic parallels like Star Wars did.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Don’t get me started on how they destroyed the Skywalker saga. Fingers crossed December 20th will be a good movie and closure to the saga

:cobra: UL stand Bag
:ping: G425 Max
 :ping: hybrid G15 20 * 
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

:vokey:54*
:tmade: High Toe 58*

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport

:clicgear:

On 12/17/2019 at 1:18 PM, nevets88 said:

My wife worked with an attorney whose son was at Top Gun around the time they made the first movie. The original movie story had the love interest as an aerobics instructor. The base commander suggested they change her to a flight instructor because they actually had a woman flight instructor. 

I hope this one is not as hokey as the first one. I liked the flying parts, but the story was so 1980s. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

23 hours ago, boogielicious said:

My wife worked with an attorney whose son was at Top Gun around the time they made the first movie. The original movie story had the love interest as an aerobics instructor. The base commander suggested they change her to a flight instructor because they actually had a woman flight instructor. 

I hope this one is not as hokey as the first one. I liked the flying parts, but the story was so 1980s. 

Flight instructor works way better. The new one is retreading all the tropes from the old one. Like a lot of other movies these days.

The reviews for Cats are just brutal. Wow.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

The reviews for Cats are just brutal. Wow.

I would expect nothing less. That movie looks horrible.

13 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

The new one is retreading all the tropes from the old one. Like a lot of other movies these days.

It's an escapist movie. I say "so what?"

I hate how a site like Rotten Tomatoes is often all uppity about rom-coms or just comedy movies or action movies… sometimes you want that, and not every movie has to be Oscar-worthy or have some deep artful soul. Sometimes you just wanna laugh at fart jokes or see shit get blowed up! 😄

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

56 minutes ago, iacas said:

I would expect nothing less. That movie looks horrible.

It's an escapist movie. I say "so what?"

I hate how a site like Rotten Tomatoes is often all uppity about rom-coms or just comedy movies or action movies… sometimes you want that, and not every movie has to be Oscar-worthy or have some deep artful soul. Sometimes you just wanna laugh at fart jokes or see shit get blowed up! 😄

I agree, but judging from the new Top Gun 2 trailer, it's like almost a carbon copy. It's got the put on the brakes let the plane fly past me move. It's got volleyball. It's got a guy that looks almost like Goose. It's got the fly by (ok, that's fun), it's got the bar fight. Maybe just put a little variation on it. But I loved The Last Jedi though, I know those are fightin' words.

Steve

• Administrator

Knives Out gets a birdie from me, and I wish there were more of these types of movies. They are pretty inexpensive to shoot and at least somewhat intelligent.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Knives Out gets a birdie from me, and I wish there were more of these types of movies. They are pretty inexpensive to shoot and at least somewhat intelligent.

The director provided a commentary track to download for those who might want to watch again.

share.jpg

When renowned crime novelist Harlan Thrombey (Christopher Plummer) is found dead at his estate just after his 85th birthday, the inquisitive and debonair Detective Benoit Blanc (Daniel Craig) is mysteriously enlisted to...

Steve

Bought some blu-rays because Best Buy buy 2 get one free sale. Rewatched The Color of Money. Easy birdie. Not the movie you think of when you think Scorsese, but Cruise truly is in full flake mode and Newman is well, vintage Newman. Now I can watch The Hustler (birdie) and this back to back. Also bought Flight, birdie, for the plane crash scene and the hospital scene.

Steve

20 hours ago, iacas said:

I really enjoyed this movie too.  Birdie.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Little Women, birdie. There's been more than a few adaptations, but this update is a good one.

Steve

1917. Birdie but only if you see it in a theater. Some are not impressed by its technical achievements and that it doesn’t more closely examine the causes and results of the war but I went in not looking for that. I wanted a close up POV of WWI and that’s what I got. 

Steve

Finally watched Spiderman Homecoming, I'll give it a tap in Birdie.  

I really enjoyed the throw back to the traditional Spiderman with Peter making his own webbing. Michael Keaton does a really good villain. This vaulted up to my favorite Spiderman movie. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I just finished watching "The Little Foxes," written by Lillian Hellman and starring Bette Davis and directed by William Wyler.  I love movies like this -- so great, so intelligent.  Now I'm reading the play.  It had been a hit on Broadway.  

We watched The Two Popes on Netfilx this week. I thought it was outstanding. Great character study with wonderful acting all around. Touching and funny as well. I don’t have any religious background but that didn’t keep me from enjoying it very much.

The Irishman was worth the 3+ hour investment. Another film that was more characters than plot. Everyone in leading roles was outstanding. Of course, I enjoyed it the first two or three times Scorsese made it as well.

Finally, a big thumbs up for A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood. Tom Hanks was perfect as Fred Rogers. I really went not knowing what to expect and anticipating a chance for a nice nap but the story was interesting, the recreations of the original show were cleverly placed as scene setters and very well done. It’s not a big screen ‘must see’ but when it rolls around on streaming services it will be well worth your time.

My old but trusty bag is filled with clubs I built...Integra SoooLong 450 10.5°, Jackaroo II 13* 16* 23*  hybrids, Dynacraft irons and wedges...plus a sweet Tad Moore Peach putter.

Please check out my sports card/memorabilia blog: The Five Tool Collector

The SO and I just watched the new Dracula on Netflix.   It's a different twist on an old story and although it it blood and gore, the storyline is different enough to be interesting.   Birdie

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Crooked House - Agatha Christie story. I give it a par. I really like her mysteries and they did a decent job acting.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave