IGNORED

The Films and Movies Thread

iacas

The Elegant Universe - three part documentary on Quantum Mechanics and String Theory as answers to a Universal Theory of all life. Birdie. Very interesting primer on theoretical physicists search to discover the secrets of the universe. Makes you wonder how they plan on proving all this :poo: someday...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The Elegant Universe - three part documentary on Quantum Mechanics and String Theory as answers to a Universal Theory of all life. Birdie. Very interesting primer on theoretical physicists search to discover the secrets of the universe. Makes you wonder how they plan on proving all thisΒ Β someday...

This isn't a movie, it's tv 3 part documentary - should really be in the favorite tv shows thread. I put a YT vid in that thread as that's a documentary I really enjoyed.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

LOL, there's an explainer infographic for Interstellar already, I can see why you might need one for Inception, I guess the time dilation can get a little dicey:

http://i.imgur.com/MgwWMFU.jpg

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Interstellar Eagle on a short par 5. I went to the Imax show and thought it was WAY WAY too loud. I'm actually hearing impaired, wear hearing aids in both ears, I can't imagine how people with fully functioning hearing can stand it. Anyways, the story was great, I think I would have changed the ending, but the space shots, the other planet shots, the visualization of the black hole, were just simply stunning. I am a total space nerd and that stuff took my breath away. Very very good movie.

Colin P.

I saw Interstellar yesterday. I give it a birdie. Visually stunning and beautiful. I thought it was overly long, but I'm not sure what could have been edited out. Lots of narrative that didn't quite do it for me, but to me Nolan peaked with Memento, lol. In space, no one can feel your hug.

Corey

Interstellar is in between an eagle and a birdie for me so I give it a birdie on a long par 4.

Wasn't a fan of the middle act with the surprise "guest star" but I get how it was a plot device to get us to the last act. Great visuals, love the characters, story and how things connect. Nolan always does a great job of telling a story utilizing his characters and their motivations. It's a Sci-Fi fantasy but it also feels very real. The underlying message that we need to keep exploring/dreaming was clear but Nolan didn't try to hit us over the head with it.

@nevets88 , that was a cool infograph.

The graph makes it seem like the people that open the worm hole are the descendants of Earth orbiting Saturn, 68 years after they solve the gravity equation. I initially thought the people that open the wormhole and build the tesseract are even farther into the future, maybe even evolved past a "human" looking state. Just seems like a crazy amount of advancement for 68 years.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

I saw Interstellar again and the writing just doesn't hold up so I'm gonna drop my rating to a tap in birdie. The exposition, clunkyness, not letting the scenes have room to breathe really stick out but for me because I loved the space aspect so much, I'm more forgiving of this movie than most. Here's a summary of the original script Spielberg dropped, with the Chinese space station, Murph's a boy and no Dr. Mann. I'll eventually get to reading the original script in full. http://interstellarfilm.wikia.com/wiki/2008_script [SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!] [LIST] [*] I agree with the critics, Hollywood just won't let any main characters die even more lately and I would not have minded a version where Coop dies. [*] Things that don't make sense - why would Coop go after Brand at the end? Yeah, he wants to move on but there was no indication he was in love with Amelia. [*] If you're gonna let old Murph see Coop, let that scene go on for a little longer. Let Coop meet his grandkids. [*] I got dusty when Coop left Murph, watched the 23 years of video and met old Murph. [*] Escaping the huge wave, TARS doing that spinning thing rushing Amelia to the spaceship, docking with the 60 rpm spinning Endurance was excellent. [*] Love the use of the organ. Yeah, it was loud, Inception was worse though, with the brass section. [*] I thought Murph's brother was gonna toss the watch. Murph making the discovery in her childhood room while Coop was in the tesseract was awesome. [/LIST] [/SPOILER]

Steve

Here's a summary of the original script Spielberg dropped, with the Chinese space station, Murph's a boy and no Dr. Mann. I'll eventually get to reading the original script in full.

http://interstellarfilm.wikia.com/wiki/2008_script

I like the second act better but prefer Acts 1 and 3 for the Nolan Interstellar. I like that they go to multiple planets and there is more of an "interaction" between Murph and Coop in the Nolan Interstellar.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

Another infographic:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--xJKIg4Jr--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/ovhksy5qlesslilfebpv.png

The old Time Travel paradox:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/11/07/interstellar_explained_the_ending_who_are_they_the_tesseract_the_blight.html
I don’t understand the ending. If β€œthey” are descended from humans, and Cooper saves humanity, then how could β€œthey” exist in the future if Cooper hasn’t saved humanity yet? Or, as Vulture put it, β€œyou can’t travel back in time and engineer your own salvation.” Right?
A lot of science fiction, at least, would disagree with you. The ending of Interstellar seems to present a β€œbootstrap paradox.” In short, this is a type of time paradox in which a chicken sends an egg back in time, which egg then becomes that chicken. A popular example is The Terminator: In the first movie in the series, Kyle Reese is sent back in time by John Connor to protect Sarah Connor, John Connor’s mother. The paradox is that Reese turns out to be the father of John Connorβ€”by sending Reese back in time, John Connor created himself. (Similarly, by going back in time to try to kill John Connor, Skynet leaves behind the advanced robotic parts that lead to the creation of Skynet.)
Without time travel, whether such a thing is possible remains theoretical, but it’s something theoretical physicists do argue about.
http://sploid.gizmodo.com/interstellar-explained-in-one-timeline-warning-spoile-1656588261

First Timeline:

Wormhole opens. Mann and Brand and Cooper work on the Lazarus Project. Cooper flies on the final mission (the mission he'd been training for without knowing it) with Amelia, going through the same trials and sacrificing himself in Gargantua to let her escape to Edmund's world. Amelia institutes Plan B on Edmund's world. Those people go on to evolve into Humanity's future, with a stable Black Hole to guide their sciences. They evolve to work in the 5th dimension, and decide they want to save their ancestors. THEY find Cooper in Gargantua and create the tesseract for him. They initiate their original gravity burst to down Cooper's training flight for the original Lazarus mission. This leads Cooper to leave the program, marry someone, and have children. This change creates a second timeline, and creates Murph, key to their plan.

Second Timeline

This is what we see in the movie. THEY cannot interact with Murph, because she did not exist in their original timeline, so they use Cooper in the Tesseract to communicate with her, via love and gravity. His purpose here is two-fold: to guide himself back to Lazarus after THEY diverted him and to bring Murph into Lazarus, to fulfill the promise of Brand's Plan A. Cooper rejoins Lazarus just as before and re-aligns his second timeline with his first. Once in the tesseract again (or the same original time due to 5th dimension mechanics) he relays the TARS data to Murph and she makes Plan A a reality. Cooper Station lifts off, and begins it's slow trek towards the Wormhole.

Cooper is released from the tesseract, and recovered on Cooper Station just outside Saturn for a final reunion with Murph before she dies. He then leaves in a ship to rejoin Brand on Edmund's planet, knowing that she he there alone due to the time dilation involved in the final voyage across Gargantua causing Edmunds to be long dead of old age. Cooper and Brand create the second age of Humanity, those that will become THEY as they wait for the survivors of Earth to reach them in their slow gravity ship.

Steve

Divergent - Bogey. Β The story had potential, but it never took off.

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Interstellar Gets An Unexpected Twitter Review From Neil deGrasse Tyson

http://www.hugecool.com/2014/11/interstellar-gets-unexpected-twitter.html

I dunno, but I would most definitely expect him to eventually weigh in on the movie.

In # Interstellar : They explore a planet near a Black Hole. Personally, I’d stay as far the hell away from BlackHoles as I can

0 replies 4,025 retweets 6,449 favorites
Retweet 4K
Favorited 6.4K
More

REMINDER: Never look to me for opinions on new films. All I do is highlight the science one might or might not find in them.

0 replies 986 retweets 3,473 favorites
Retweet 986
Favorite 3.5K
More

In # Interstellar , if you didn’t understand the plot, there is no published book to help you.

0 replies 2,182 retweets 3,562 favorites
Retweet 2.2K
Favorite 3.6K
More

In # Interstellar , if you didn’t understand the physics, try Kip Thorne’s highly readable Bbook β€œThe Science of Interstellar"

0 replies 1,533 retweets 2,659 favorites
Retweet 1.5K
Favorite 2.7K
More

In # Interstellar : On another planet, around another star, in another part of the galaxy, two guys get into a fist fight.

0 replies 2,061 retweets 3,608 favorites
Retweet 2.1K
Favorite 3.6K
More

In # Interstellar : Of the leading characters (all of whom are scientists or engineers) half are women. Just an FYI.

0 replies 2,248 retweets 4,065 favorites
Retweet 2.2K
Favorite 4.1K
More

In # Interstellar : They reprise the matched-rotation docking maneuver from "2001: A Space Odyssey," but they spin 100x faster.

0 replies 726 retweets 1,680 favorites
Retweet 726
Favorite 1.7K
More

In # Interstellar : You enter a 3-Dimensional portal in space. Yes, you can fall in from any direction. Yes, it’s a Worm Hole.

0 replies 1,100 retweets 2,155 favorites
Retweet 1.1K
Favorite 2.2K
More

In # Interstellar : You observe great Tidal Waves from great Tidal Forces, of magnitude that orbiting a Black Hole might create

0 replies 893 retweets 1,822 favorites
Retweet 893
Favorite 1.8K
More

In # Interstellar : The producers knew exactly how, why, & when you’d achieve zero-G in space.

0 replies 1,066 retweets 2,234 favorites
Retweet 1.1K
Favorite 2.2K
More

Relativity. Gravity. Quantum. Electrodynamics. Evolution. Each of these theories is true, whether or not you believe in them.

0 replies 7,380 retweets 7,814 favorites
Retweet 7.4K
Favorite 7.8K
More

In # Interstellar : Experience Einstein's Curvature of Space as no other feature film has shown.

0 replies 1,873 retweets 2,891 favorites
Retweet 1.9K
Favorite 2.9K
More

In # Interstellar : Experience Einstein’s Relativity of Time as no other feature film has shown.

0 replies 2,297 retweets 3,062 favorites
Retweet 2.3K
Favorite 3.1K
More

GPS Satellites are pre-corrected for General Relativity, allowing them to beam us the accurate time for Earth’s surface.

0 replies 909 retweets 1,649 favorites
Retweet 909
Favorite 1.6K
More

GPS satellites, located farther from Earth’s center than we are, keep faster time than do our clocks on Earth’s surface.

0 replies 1,018 retweets 1,620 favorites
Retweet 1K
Favorite 1.6K
More

In # Interstellar : And in the real universe, strong gravitational fields measurably slow passage of time relative to others.

0 replies 1,217 retweets 1,974 favorites
Retweet 1.2K
Favorite 2K
More

In # Interstellar : There’s a robot named KIPP. One of the Executive Producers, a physicist, is named Kip. I’m just saying.

0 replies 606 retweets 1,835 favorites
Retweet 606
Favorite 1.8K
More

In # Interstellar : All leading characters, including McConaughey, Hathaway, Chastain, & Caine play a scientist or engineer.

Steve

i effing love Neil deGrasse Tyson.

:offtopic: I did not know that GPS clocks ran faster than terrestrial clocks. You can learn a thing or two from Tweets. Not all Tweets are superficial.

Steve

Watched Lone Survivor the other day on HBO. I give it a birdie.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3Β |Β 15ΒΊ 3-Wood: Ping G410 |Β 17ΒΊ 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 |Β 19ΒΊ 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo |Β 54ΒΊ SW, 60ΒΊ LW: Titleist Vokey SM8Β |Β Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator

Million Dollar Arm . Lips one in for par, but only because it was based on a true story.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets