IGNORED

Good General Numbers for Hips/Torso at A7

iacas
Note: This thread is 3803 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Again..if this will help anyone..use my goofy move as a guinea pig. Physically, this is as much as I can turn thru the ball. Is this enough hip turn of a look? I asked same question at the PeterKostis/ Gary McCord golf school clinic I attended - few years back in AZ Doesn't matter what doctrine u use..hell, there is a million of them..just choose one freaking one. But the pivot seems to be a big sticking point , and many are just plane stumped or have no damn answer. Shoulders slightly square..lower body open contact is my assumption

Like working on the swing,,score means nothing to me. Might just go to the range and give up playing... ( might happen)

• Administrator

I have no hip turn.. I see this a lot too.. My belt buckle faces the target.. So I guess what is wrong what is right? This might help a lot of us.. Is it a conscious move? Or one that is a reaction to an action? Or do u need to practice the pivot like a mad man in order to make it automatic?[

You're not within the range seen by the vast, vast majority of PGA Tour players.

In other words, your swing stands can be improved, as that impact position is likely costing you consistency of impact, speed, or both. You may not want to change your swing, or improve, but that's up to you.

Again..if this will help anyone..use my goofy move as a guinea pig. Physically, this is as much as I can turn thru the ball. Is this enough hip turn of a look? I asked same question at the PeterKostis/ Gary McCord golf school clinic I attended - few years back in AZ

You've never posted high-speed video footage nor have you ever really posted Trackman/Flightscope numbers, but I'd wager that you pivot stall and that your flight is not as consistent as it would be if you weren't allowing the pivot stall to flip the hands. Bit too much timing and less speed than you could achieve with a better impact position.

Your front foot's pretty square. And so as politely as possible - because you lack information, not because you can't do it - I call bull on the "this is as far as I can turn through the ball" stuff. You don't know how to turn harder, faster, more.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Interesting. Thanks Erik. I went back and looked at my GolfMTRx data (haven't used the app it for a while) and my average for the hips at impact was 35 degrees open. I'd like to look more like my avatar, but probably within the range where it's not necessarily a priority item.

PS: For those that haven't come across it, GolfMTRx -- http://www.zerolinegolf.com.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Interesting. Thanks Erik. I went back and looked at my GolfMTRx data (haven't used the app it for a while) and my average for the hips at impact was 35 degrees open. I'd like to look more like my avatar, but probably within the range where it's not necessarily a priority item.

PS: For those that haven't come across it, GolfMTRx -- http://www.zerolinegolf.com.

I've got it, and used it. It really brings the use of the hips into context...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Thanks Stretch.  I will check this out.  I have no idea what my hips do in a swing other than hurt afterward!  Actually, @mvmac thought I was opening up a bit too soon last year during my Evolvr lessons.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Erik. A million thanks, I now admit I jumped the gun on u.. Very genuine .. Your turning in a circle has tried to been relayed to me in a dozen swing fix lessons.. I know the swing I was told to try and what u teach is the wave of the future.. For some reasons I can't grasp it.. I will not post online lesson where my swing was dissected ... Hard to swallow.. But the truth.. I'm stuck on hands and release of the club.. The 80's way of teaching golf.. You and iteach are the future. All the young players I see now hit it a country mile.. I'm short but straight..I need to take the plunge.. But stubborn and trying to do this on my own. I'm a relic with my thinkings... Not many of us left anymore. Accept my apology for rude start.. Forgive my ignorance
  • Upvote 1

Like working on the swing,,score means nothing to me. Might just go to the range and give up playing... ( might happen)

Great stuff Erik, exactly what we worked on out in Erie.  The DTL changes were pretty cool.  I never would have thought the hips should be so open before.  It has really helped me with Keys 4 and 5 and has added some nice power.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Obviously I have more important pieces at the moment but hmmmmmm, I'm not even in the ballpark of those numbers.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Looks good jamo. No worries , I still play 1978 hogan blades.. 4 degrees flat.. And a persimmon driver. Never used flightscopes or other system. My driver is 107 with sky pro.. All I know.. Thought about bending driver and irons down to 6 degrees flat.. Like I said.. I'm a fossil compared to u guys.. Do have an iPad maybe i should try mtrxsysten. Tried again today, swing under hurdle not over.. Working on fascia and inside of right shoulder dents.. Better turn away .. Hard to do, but trying Good stuff gents

Is there any correlation between how much your right foot is planted and how much you can turn your hips? Vmac wanted me to keep that foot down and I saw a golf digest thing on Facebook but it seems a little but awkward to clear your hips

Is there any correlation between how much your right foot is planted and how much you can turn your hips? Vmac wanted me to keep that foot down and I saw a golf digest thing on Facebook but it seems a little but awkward to clear your hips

Good question.. I keep right foot down do to playing golf in sandals or crocs all the time.. Even did barefoot.. Helps with lower foot pressures , able to feel the ground .. Would like to hear if right goes up. Down .. Or rolls on its own accord

There is for sure.  Allowing for a little lower body EE and the heel coming off the ground a bit aids in getting things opened more.  I used to keep it down, but have allowed it to come up a bit more recently.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Mike or Erik can correct me if I'm wrong, but flaring out your right foot allows for more hip turn in the backswing, and doesn't really have any effect on the downswing because right your foot straightens when you start turning it anyway.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Erik. A million thanks, I now admit I jumped the gun on u.. Very genuine .. Your turning in a circle has tried to been relayed to me in a dozen swing fix lessons.. I know the swing I was told to try and what u teach is the wave of the future.. For some reasons I can't grasp it.. I will not post online lesson where my swing was dissected ... Hard to swallow.. But the truth.. I'm stuck on hands and release of the club.. The 80's way of teaching golf.. You and iteach are the future. All the young players I see now hit it a country mile.. I'm short but straight..I need to take the plunge.. But stubborn and trying to do this on my own. I'm a relic with my thinkings... Not many of us left anymore.

Accept my apology for rude start.. Forgive my ignorance

Like Erik said, try flaring out the left foot first and see what happens.  There isn't anything to "grasp", just do it ;-)

Never said to keep the right foot down, I was very clear about this.  I recommended banking the right foot longer so the pelvis doesn't flash towards the ball which ends up stalling the pivot and the club head "flipping" through impact.

Mike or Erik can correct me if I'm wrong, but flaring out your right foot allows for more hip turn in the backswing, and doesn't really have any effect on the downswing because right your foot straightens when you start turning it anyway.

Yes the right foot flare helps the hips turn more on the backswing.  Too much foot flare (rare) can have the hips closed too much on the downswing for a couple reasons.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

:doh: I don't know why I read his post and thought about flare. Sorry for the off-topic.

In my bag:

Quick question...I have golfmitrx.,and it won't record my swings on the new ipod. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to buy a microphone! ? Hope I didn't throw away$15.. Maybe I will just work on hips with video I'm always a sucker for these gizmos,lł old saying " a sucker born everyday"..or "saw ya coming" :-D:-D The above video still shows I can turn my hips..never noticed that.. It isn't i can't,..just never did properly. I see both sweet cheeks

[VIDEO] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vos4nrHofK8 [/VIDEO] Very very cold today,,almost too cold to practice. Worked on open left foot..and just swung. Low drawing 7 irons into a cold cold indiana wind. Felt so weird, but I think I'm turning those babes more than I used too. Good stuff I notice right foot was more off the ground instead of flat..I guess that is good One more..for my little friend [VIDEO] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx4V06msbVA [/VIDEO]

• Administrator

Chris, threads like this are not so much about your own personal swing, as they are about discussing a general guideline, principle, line of thinking, measurement, etc.

Please limit discussion of your specific swing to your My Swing thread.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3803 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!