IGNORED

Winter Depression Thread

smellysell

Quote:

Originally Posted by caniac6

I grew up in the DC area, so we had snow,but not like NH. Most of the people in NC do OK in the snow, but we can get ice, and then we have big problems. I'm just going to stay home, and watch Olympic hockey.

People in DC can't drive in the rain let alone the snow.  Last time it snowed I went to pick up a pizza and passed four 1 car accidents.  One inch and people are crashing into curbs.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

People in DC can't drive in the rain let alone the snow.  Last time it snowed I went to pick up a pizza and passed four 1 car accidents.  One inch and people are crashing into curbs.

One day on my way to work in Missouri the road was very slick with ice. It was an old country road and not much traffic but a car passed me like there was nothing on the roads. Then another car passed me, and then another.

I was wondering if they could drive that much better than I could or if they were somehow getting a lot more traction than I was (in my 4WD truck) or if they were just simply nuts.

A couple more miles down the road on a slight curve I got my answer. All 3 cars were off in the ditch. I stopped and pulled them out one by one and continued on to work.

Moral of the story: Nobody can drive very well when the roads are slick unless they have enough sense to slow down.

One day on my way to work in Missouri the road was very slick with ice. It was an old country road and not much traffic but a car passed me like there was nothing on the roads. Then another car passed me, and then another.

I was wondering if they could drive that much better than I could or if they were somehow getting a lot more traction than I was (in my 4WD truck) or if they were just simply nuts.

A couple more miles down the road on a slight curve I got my answer. All 3 cars were off in the ditch. I stopped and pulled them out one by one and continued on to work.

Moral of the story: Nobody can drive very well when the roads are slick unless they have enough sense to slow down.

Slowing down is certainly key #1.  And you see so many SUV types that are over-confident thinking they are immune to ice.  But there is  some know-how, too.  Like if you start to slide left don't jam on your breaks and turn right.  Plus in places like DC that don't get much snow, you have fewer cars with AWD/4WD

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Slowing down is certainly key #1.  And you see so many SUV types that are over-confident thinking they are immune to ice.  But there is  some know-how, too.  Like if you start to slide left don't jam on your breaks and turn right.  Plus in places like DC that don't get much snow, you have fewer cars with AWD/4WD

What I hate the worst is on Interstate highways when I am trying to leave enough of a gap between my vehicle and the one in front to have a chance to stop and everybody else thinks they are supposed to pull into that lane to fill that "gap".

No wonder we see those 50 car pileups on the news. :doh:

1-Slow Down and leave more space between cars.

2-Winter Tires

3-AWD does not help when you want to break, and for SUV it's even worst..those things ar heavy.

4-Of Course Experience is very important, but experience makes you respect number 1.

I kind of like to drive during a snow storm.

I don't know what's happening this year, it seems that New-York gets more snow than we do (or we talk about it more).

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsc123

Yep that sounds like southern Missouri. Were you near the butt hole (boot heel)?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Yep that sounds like southern Missouri. Were you near the butt hole (boot heel)?

No. About 40 miles from the Iowa line.

P.S. Loved living there for 18 years.

[QUOTE name="Valleygolfer" url="/t/71391/winter-depression-thread/306#post_950127"]
[/QUOTE] No. About 40 miles from the Iowa line. P.S. Loved living there for 18 years.

There is a definite difference in the areas from North and South. I loved the KC and St. L. area. Great cities. Never liked Iowa though.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

This thread is so cute. :-P http://thesandtrap.com/t/72472/weather-in-the-south/0_30

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

All their ice will be gone in a couple days at most, meanwhile in NY my course will be under a foot of snow or more and it won't melt until next weekend at the soonest. I can deal with the snow but no temps over 30 for a long time is worse because all it does is let the snow on the ground stay frozen until the next snow arrives, and once it all melts it will be a lake out there for 2-3 days.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Hang in there folks. I sniff Spring around the corner. I can just feel it. It's darkest before the light.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Last hoorah of winter for us (I hope). ;-)

Ended up with 4 inches of snow Tuesday, 1/2 inch of ice Wednesday, and 6 more inches of snow Wednesday night.

Last hoorah of winter for us (I hope). ;-) [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/91918/] [/URL] Ended up with 4 inches of snow Tuesday, 1/2 inch of ice Wednesday, and 6 more inches of snow Wednesday night.

As much as I don't like snow, it sure is beautiful.

For the 1st time I can remember in my adult life I had to turn around not even a block from my apartment. The snow and visibility here on Long Island was terrible this morning. Dangerous conditions outside. Spring please hurry.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

-19 this morning... :cry:

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

-19 this morning...:cry:

[quote name="Golfingdad" url="/t/71391/winter-depression-thread/300_30#post_950351"]Ernest, on a golf forum, -19 is a GOOD thing. Course record good, even!!!:-P [/quote] Heh, yeah, want me to move this to your swing thread? :-D

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7