IGNORED

My Swing (David in FL)

David in FL
Note: This thread is 3536 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Video? Photo?

Inquiring minds want to know!

+1

+2

Pics/vid or it didn't happen....

Ok, ok, ok......

No video yet, but here are some pics with notes from Erik and Dave.

Mike and Dave will likely chime in here too, but you get the idea.

It's worth noting that the cell phone video at the top of this thread was the first time that I ever saw my own swing.....needless to say, it was a humbling experience. Saturday was also the first time I ever worked, albeit briefly with an instructor. Again, a very humbling experience, but more rewarding and enjoyable than I would have thought.

Time will tell if this old dog can actually learn some new tricks, but it's pretty clear even to me that the early results are promising.  Now I've just gotta figure out how to keep the hosel off the ball with this new swing....... :-O

• Upvote 3

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Time will tell if this old dog can actually learn some new tricks, but it's pretty clear even to me that the early results are promising.  Now I've just gotta figure out how to keep the hosel off the ball with this new swing.......

Nice work!  Just about every time I learn something new I start shanking the ball at first.  I take it as a good sign, the picture is being changed.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Good stuff! Rep point earned!!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

that is a marked improvement.  i love the after pic of the first set you posted.  looks great at the top, boss right elbow position.

Colin P.

Nice progress! I suppose your next goal is for scratch?

I guess all the fuss we all made about you doing a swing thread might be starting to pay off? :-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

that is a marked improvement.  i love the after pic of the first set you posted.  looks great at the top, boss right elbow position.

Yeah, me too.  I hate to admit it, but I've looked at that pic about 50 times since Saturday.  I may print it and hang it over my desk!  It looks like it belongs to a real golfer! :banana:

Nice progress! I suppose your next goal is for scratch?

I guess all the fuss we all made about you doing a swing thread might be starting to pay off?

Scratch?  Good grief, no way!  Primary scoring goal for this year is to get solidly into the 4's.  I'd really like to at least dip under 4 for a revision or 2, but that's a looooong ways off.  I made it to 4.6 last year but was back over 5 again in 2 revisions.  I also spent one revision at, ahem, 7.3.......need to avoid that this year!

In David's bag....

Good stuff! Maybe next time we'll beat the dodgy Euros.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

It's worth noting that the cell phone video at the top of this thread was the first time that I ever saw my own swing.....needless to say, it was a humbling experience. Saturday was also the first time I ever worked, albeit briefly with an instructor. Again, a very humbling experience, but more rewarding and enjoyable than I would have thought.

Time will tell if this old dog can actually learn some new tricks, but it's pretty clear even to me that the early results are promising.  Now I've just gotta figure out how to keep the hosel off the ball with this new swing.......

That is some great work right there, good job!

I have to say, you've never seen your swing until now and you've never worked with an instructor, and you've managed a 5 handicap, that's awesome! I know my swing and I've worked with instructors in the past and I'm still a total hack...

Anyway, I wish you all the best.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Good stuff! Maybe next time we'll beat the dodgy Euros.

Only if we kneecap Simon!

Any insight from your time with Dave on Sunday?

In David's bag....

• Administrator

Now I've just gotta figure out how to keep the hosel off the ball with this new swing.......

As I said, perfectly to be expected. Your sweetspot used to be pulling hard to the left, and your miss would be on the toe if anything. Now that your sweetspot is swinging outward more, you're more likely to introduce the hosel to the ball more frequently.

The frequency should reduce relatively quickly. Keep after the changes - do mirror work, etc. (and on the golf course, just play). You'll find the sweetspot again - if you could find it with that swing before, you will again with an improved motion.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

As I said, perfectly to be expected. Your sweetspot used to be pulling hard to the left, and your miss would be on the toe if anything. Now that your sweetspot is swinging outward more, you're more likely to introduce the hosel to the ball more frequently. The frequency should reduce relatively quickly. Keep after the changes - do mirror work, etc. (and on the golf course, just play). You'll find the sweetspot again - if you could find it with that swing before , you will again with an improved motion.

I don't know if I've just been complimented or insulted....... :-D

In David's bag....

• Administrator
I believe that to be a textbook example of a backhanded compliment. ;)

It's a good thing. Some students simply aren't good at finding the golf ball. You can find it. You'll find it again soon @David in FL , ideally with some better moves prior.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It's a good thing. Some students simply aren't good at finding the golf ball. You can find it. You'll find it again soon @David in FL, ideally with some better moves prior.

We know ... but we're still having fun with it. :beer:

On another note ... I'm excited to follow along with a thread like this to see the progress of an already accomplished golfer.  It's fun to watch beginners and mediocre golfers get better, but I'm even more intrigued to watch David go through this. :)

To comment on Mike's pics above.....

Dave wants me to get the grip out in my fingertips more with the left hand.  I tend to be further down in the palm.

Question for @mvmac and @iacas , how big of a deal is that at this point?  I'm finding the feel to be an added distraction and would rather wait on that until I'm able to put the sweetspot on the ball consistently again.

In David's bag....

• Administrator

Question for @mvmac and @iacas, how big of a deal is that at this point?  I'm finding the feel to be an added distraction and would rather wait on that until I'm able to put the sweetspot on the ball consistently again.

It's kind of up to you, but I'd probably do it now or else you risk finding the sweetspot after, then possibly adding it back and throwing things off again.

I'd probably also step back an inch or two from the golf ball. You were hitting a 6-iron or 7-iron.

Note: This thread is 3536 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!