IGNORED

GAME GOLF - Digital Tracking System

Note: This thread is 2184 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I got my Game Golf last week and played my first round with it at the weekend.

In round - Equipment/hardware wise I had no problems at all, device is a bit smaller than I thought it looked on all the promotional material. Device took about a minute to power on and get a gps fix and then it was just a matter of remembering to 'tap-in' each club. I found all my longer clubs fine since part of my pre-shot routine was always to get to my ball and judge distance etc just before my shot so I added the tap-in to this. I forgot a couple of times with the putter, but it was easy to add after the round. You get a vibration on tap in so you know that it has registered. In terms of playing that is all that is required.

After round - I plugged in the game golf and it offered to upload my round, which it did with no issues then I had the chance to check the round and update anything untowards. I added the forgotten putts and changed a couple of putts from the fringe to read as "off-green" I also had to move one of my bunker shots a small distance so it showed as being in the sand. The whole process was pretty easy and took me around 5-10 minutes. I then signed the round which finalises all the changes.

Summary - The device itself I found unobtrusive and easy to use. The summary map looks great and I genuinely enjoyed reliving my round and seeing where I was leaking shots and playing badly/well. However the weakest part of the whole thing is where it should be strongest, I've mapped my entire round and I should be able to get some amazing stats from that automatically, yet its just the standard GIR/FIR that you get from any scorekeeping app etc. Club distance is excellently implemented but not unique. To push this to the next level they need to devise ways of calculating performance from all over the course and displaying that. At the moment I could almost do everything Game Golf does with an app such as Swing by Swing, and then would get better stats back from it. I will continue to use the Game Golf, but hope that they update their stats on the website  to really show what this device could be capable of. If they are attempting to have it as just a social way of sharing rounds then I fear that they are doomed to fail. At the RRP they need to add considerable value to a golfers round.

Hi, My name is Matt.

i just bought it yesterday at golf galaxy.went to get putter grip and look at range finders but they had these on counter and decided I would get it.been thinking about it awhile.got word from tour director that I could use it in tournament play to track my round which was nice to hear.will be nice to be able to see the distances I hit each club regularly.best thing I read is its a median yardage it keeps so say you chunk an iron it doesn't average into yardage.hoping to hit course sometime this week to give it a try.

• 3 weeks later...

There was an update during the week which I have just seen on my dashboard which is what I hope is the first step in the right direction for GameGolf. Just what I was saying was missing from my mini review above.

It now gives a couple of great shot summary maps the first one from the tee from the chosen club

and the second on shots approaching the green with various clubs or over various distances, from different lies as well.

For me this is the sort of information I wanted this system to be digesting and producing in an easy to read format and this is a great first effort. Hopefully there will be more to follow in the same ilk and this will become better and better value as the various stats are added.

• Upvote 1

Hi, My name is Matt.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw it in real life for the first time this weekend.  One of the guys I played with had it.  However, he just got it and it was going to be the first time he used it and he couldn't figure out how to seamlessly merge it into his routine, so he didn't bother with it that day.

I'm curious about it now after reading LSW because it seems like a fantastic way to figure out shot zones.  Even better than on the range or with a Trackman, because you are compiling "real" shots to do it ... rather than 20 potentially "grooved" shots on the range.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I know an instructor who tracks his students on the app with the rounds they share with him.

(Sigh) I will eventually purchase this, too.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Holy cow, @dinoma! Thanks for posting that.  The ability to use the data in that way makes this an incredibly useful tool.  I have a hard time trying to imagine a more useful game tracking method.

And that seems like a great idea, @Golfingdad .  On top of what you said, as your game progresses (or regresses!) you'll see if your shot zones are changing without having to go back to a trackman.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

And that seems like a great idea, @Golfingdad .  On top of what you said, as your game progresses (or regresses!) you'll see if your shot zones are changing without having to go back to a trackman.

Yeah, and right after I posted that I got all excited because I have over $200 (might even be closer to 300) in gift cards to Golf Galaxy that I have no other use for (seriously, I'm happy with all of my equipment right now, have a new bag, lots of golf clothes, new rangefinder, even bought new golf clothes for the wife last time) so I realized it would be perfect!

Except, unfortunately, they don't seem to carry it. :cry: It's weird too, because I can go to their "technology" tab and there is a tab for "statistics tracking" that has a picture of the device, but still, no dice.  Bummer.

For those of you thinking of using this for shot zones, bear in mind that at the moment you will only be able to map tee shots and approach shots with it. Agreed that is most of our shots on an average par 3 and 4, but you will miss a few shots here and there.

Secondly it will only give shot zones relative to the centre of the green and the centre of the fairway so you could hit the ball exactly where you want but be put 20 yards to the left/right on the stat map.

That said, now I have it grooved into my pre shot routine, I am delighted with the way this device works. You need 10 mins after a round to tidy up a few dodgy GPS reads or missed shots and you get a great map of your round and your golf.

• Upvote 1

Hi, My name is Matt.

Secondly it will only give shot zones relative to the centre of the green and the centre of the fairway so you could hit the ball exactly where you want but be put 20 yards to the left/right on the stat map.

LOL, I came here just to ask this, so thanks!  I saw your picture and it said "xx right of center" and I'm thinking, "hmm, how does it know where I was aimed?"  Now I get it ... it uses GPS of the course to map where you are, so I'll have to reconcile this information with where I was actually aimed if I want a better representation.

That said, now I have it grooved into my pre shot routine, I am delighted with the way this device works. You need 10 mins after a round to tidy up a few dodgy GPS reads or missed shots and you get a great map of your round and your golf.

I assume this is something that is easily done at home on the computer later that evening or whenever??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

LOL, I came here just to ask this, so thanks!  I saw your picture and it said "xx right of center" and I'm thinking, "hmm, how does it know where I was aimed?"  Now I get it ... it uses GPS of the course to map where you are, so I'll have to reconcile this information with where I was actually aimed if I want a better representation.

Spot on, its not possible to reconcile thos sort of info within GameGolf at this time

Quote:
I assume this is something that is easily done at home on the computer later that evening or whenever??

Yes its done on a webpage - takes me about 10 mins after each round, moving a few shots a few feet etc depending on the quality of the gps signal. Also changing the odd putter hot to be off green o it doesn't affect putting stats. All pretty intuitive and harmless in my opinion.

Hi, My name is Matt.

I thought I heard somewhere there was a yearly fee for the use of their website? Please tell me that is false. Looks like a great tool, especially for those trying to use shot zones.

The yearly fee was mooted when they first did their kickstarter I think, but I can confirm that there is no yearly fee to use this product or the stats pages.

Hi, My name is Matt.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

I thought I heard somewhere there was a yearly fee for the use of their website?

Please tell me that is false.

Looks like a great tool, especially for those trying to use shot zones.

Yeah, no yearly fee.

Also, this thread is popular as well: .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 3 weeks later...

Don't hit buy. Don't hit buy. Don't hit buy... Cha Ching...

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

So I used mine for the second time yesterday and worked out some more kinks.  The first time I used it I thought it was really awkward to tag while putting.  Somewhere in the routine I'd tag the first putt, but then if I hit it close and then had a 6" tap in, it was really goofy to walk up and tap it in and then pick it up and somewhere in there find time to tag, all the while trying to get out of the way of the next guy.

But then I realized that it doesn't really matter where on the green you tag it because it doesn't really know where the flag is anyway.  On at least half of the holes yesterday, I had to drag the hole and my last putt to the correct location anyway ... so why not just tag the second putt as you're walking off the green?

Also, if you forget to tag a shot, and then remember before you hit your next shot, just tag it then.  I drove up to the green then realized that I forgot to tag my approach, so I just tagged it there.  It's not hard to add and delete shots if need be, but it's even easier to just drag shots to the correct location.

• 2 months later...
Is the app giving anyone else issues with notifications? I get the notifications but they are not updated in the app and won't go to the golfer with the notification.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Note: This thread is 2184 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!