IGNORED

2014 Honda Classic Discussion Thread

TourSpoon
Note: This thread is 3719 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you've never had a real back injury, you have no idea...    Speaking as a guy who has had back problems since an injury at the age of 16 (I am 53 now), I can tell you, back issues never go away and they sometimes pop up randomly from seemingly mundane things.   As an example, I have been dropped to my knees in pain from simply bending over to pet the dog.  So if Tiger has back issues, they aren't going away.  Ever.   He will continue to fight this for the rest of his life, let alone the rest of his professional golf career.    So no, it is not odd that he would have back spasms or back pain similar to what he had last year.    In fact, it will likely become far more common as he ages.

I would like to confirm the above. My injury happened at 16, I'm now almost 66. I can go for a couple of years w/o any real pain, then one day..BLAM! I could hardly stand up, much less hit a golf ball, and no matter what I did, nothing would cure it, maybe help some, but years ago I accepted the fact that I will always have some pain.

I just hope that Tiger's issue aren't as bad as mine, and his can be relieved somewhat so he can continue to play.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Maybe lay off lifting period, take up yoga or something more conducive to a golf swing. His new swing is now going on 5 years. I don't know about you but my back hurts looking at him swinging, it just looks way too hard, erratic and way to abrupt. No one needs to remind me of his previous records, that is then, this is now.

Agree -- you'd think Tiger would go for more of the Adam Scott or Hunter Mahan swing instead of what he does... it just looks odd as the #1 golfer

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

That's the point I was making. Although what a thing to read right before heading out to the gym... :-/

No kidding... I am more careful now with posture, whether I am lifting or walking.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Tiger just seems to be getting hurt a lot over the last few years. He's had his fair share of withdrawals, whether it be the achilles, the knee, a stiff neck or a bad back. You have to start to wonder why he's getting hurt so much? He just turned 38, not 58. Mickelson had arthritis and not even he was this banged up. It's just odd. As for Rory, he'll be fine. This was the Honda, not Augusta. He's been steadily improving since the end of last year. He had the hooks today and it cost him, but the putter was steady and that has been his biggest weakness the last few years. That's what usually costs him tournaments. So the fact that was strong this week was a good sign. Good win for Henley. Guy is going to be racking up a lot of wins in the future.

Age is really not as much of a factor with back injuries. Genetics and lifestyle are more likely to dictate if you are going to experience problems.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Age is really not as much of a factor with back injuries. Genetics and lifestyle are more likely to dictate if you are going to experience problems.

Even still I think Tiger's knee issues are probably his major issue with his back. A lot of times its not even the back causing the problem.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Since I work with backs I can chime in here. Bad beds can definitely cause serious issues in a very short time frame. Injuries in the lower back are prone to reoccur and I would imagine he is making efforts to stay healthy via the best treatments available. If he is not able to let it heal completely and the golf swing is what aggravates the injury, he will have a difficult time staying healthy and will probably end up worse off.

If you've never had a real back injury, you have no idea...    Speaking as a guy who has had back problems since an injury at the age of 16 (I am 53 now), I can tell you, back issues never go away and they sometimes pop up randomly from seemingly mundane things.   As an example, I have been dropped to my knees in pain from simply bending over to pet the dog.  So if Tiger has back issues, they aren't going away.  Ever.   He will continue to fight this for the rest of his life, let alone the rest of his professional golf career.    So no, it is not odd that he would have back spasms or back pain similar to what he had last year.    In fact, it will likely become far more common as he ages.

Admittedly (knocks on wood) I've never had any back issues.  I have family members with degenerative disc disease and they are typically in constant pain.  Until the hotel bed incident I'd never heard Tiger complain of any back issues so I wrongly assumed that it was an isolated injury not one that would hamper the rest of his career.  I saw him struggling yesterday and then the way he walked off at 13, he looked more like a guy that was just taking his ball and going home rather than a guy that was injured.

If this is a chronic issue then I have to think this on top of his other injuries is really going to hamper his chase for Jacks record.  I still hope he gets it, but this is another hurdle he's going to have to overcome.

Joe Paradiso

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

Even still I think Tiger's knee issues are probably his major issue with his back. A lot of times its not even the back causing the problem.

Sometimes that is the case. Not everyone has knee problems and Tiger has not been complaining of knee problems since it has been repaired so I would disagree that this is the problem. Unless I have missed him making statements about his knee.

Like others here have already said back injuries never go away. I've missed a day of work just from sneezing. It's weird that most golfers I watch I envy how they swing the club but I wince everytime Tiger does.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Like others here have already said back injuries never go away. I've missed a day of work just from sneezing. It's weird that most golfers I watch I envy how they swing the club but I wince everytime Tiger does.

Ronimal!! Lol... You feel that way even with the iron swing? I think his iron swing is a thing of beauty. Phil McGlenno has an interesting thought with the high right shoulder in the follow through.

Colin P.

Ronimal!! Lol... You feel that way even with the iron swing? I think his iron swing is a thing of beauty. Phil McGlenno has an interesting thought with the high right shoulder in the follow through.

Anything Tiger does with a golf club is a thing of beauty I agree with you there. It's just that when he really gets after it, I think to myself if I swung that hard I would probably piss myself from the pain! LOL

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Personally I don't like Woods' swing at all. Adam Scott's swing on the other hand... There's a thing of beauty.

What a shock you don't like Tiger's swing.

I'm sure the spasms were not the take your breath away type with Tiger, but he probably did more practice than what he should have either the day before (he did have a morning round) or that morning, He wasn't in contention and decided to not risk it.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmac20

Personally I don't like Woods' swing at all. Adam Scott's swing on the other hand... There's a thing of beauty.

What a shock you don't like Tiger's swing.

+1 Yeah what he said

Anything Tiger does with a golf club is a thing of beauty I agree with you there. It's just that when he really gets after it, I think to myself if I swung that hard I would probably piss myself from the pain! LOL

i agree.  his all out swing is pretty violent.  i much prefer his range swing with the driver.

Colin P.

• Administrator

Nope, but I like his putting stroke and his short game is incredible.

The stats say otherwise. His approach game alone would put him at the top of the heap for strokes gained even if you blanked him in the other categories.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3719 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!