IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

I actually do like Tiger because he makes tournaments more interesting to watch. Some of my posts indicate this. I just don't like to take the side of the argument that everyone else chooses for some odd reason. Sometimes I convince myself while arguing, sometimes I lose, like yesterday. I admit, I lost that argument yesterday, and you guys are right. Everybody probably swears, but Woods is on camera more.

Next time I do play Devil's Advocate I will indicate it before I start my argument.

:beer: all good, I see nothing wrong with a good debate as long as it doesn't get personal.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmac20

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

The problem of taking the devils advocate approach is that being continually contradictory, in spite of evidence presented, makes you look like your are intentionally ignoring other people.  It makes discussions not fun at all to read and generally raises the tone of the discussions to a bad level.  If you feel you need to do this in the future, please start by saying you are taking this approach.  It will change the tone of the discussion and it won't degrade as this one did.

I thought it was a pretty healthy debate. We both provided evidence to support our beliefs. Nobody made personal insults until it was over.

They were not really any more personal than what you were doing. Maybe lacking in tact but arguing for the sake of arguing without saying you are the devil's advocate and taking personal pleasure out of getting people annoyed with the retorts is a troll. Since you post quite a bit on here it is hard to call you an outright troll, but in these instances I would say you are behaving trollish. I admit I don't care for it and feel like it is childish when you come in behind after a debate and say, "I didn't really feel that way anyway."

But then again so is calling names so I guess I stooped...

In tmacs defense, I do not think it is clear he was taking personal pleasure in annoying people.

Rather, it is quite possible, with the evidence provided from one side, that he changed his opinion during the debate.  I know I did to some extent.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

In tmacs defense, I do not think it is clear he was taking personal pleasure in annoying people.   Rather, it is quite possible, with the evidence provided from one side, that he changed his opinion during the debate.  I know I did to some extent.

Yes, you're correct. I wasn't trying to annoy people. I was trying to start a normal discussion. I apologize if I took it too far. This is getting pretty OT though so maybe we should revert back to the discussion of whether Woods will play in the Master's.

This is getting pretty OT though so maybe we should revert back to the discussion of whether Woods will play in the Master's.

Agree :beer:

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator

Okay, y'all… Let's move on now. Tiger Woods. That's the topic.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmac20

This is getting pretty OT though so maybe we should revert back to the discussion of whether Woods will play in the Master's.

Agree

Agreed here as well.

I really hope he plays.  Like I said before, I find it much more interesting if he is playing.  Not to mention, I have him picked to win for the TST contest.  I root for him to win, and I don't really care who would if he did not play.  Maybe Rory???

-Matt-

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Agreed here as well. I really hope he plays.  Like I said before, I find it much more interesting if he is playing.  Not to mention, I have him picked to win for the TST contest.  I root for him to win, and I don't really care who would if he did not play.  Maybe Rory???

Rory, Mickelson, and Scott would generate some interest. Maybe Bubba as well.

Rory, Mickelson, and Scott would generate some interest. Maybe Bubba as well.

Of all tournaments, though, The Masters kind of generates its own interest.  And here is a list of the current field: http://www.masters.com/en_US/players/invitees_2014.html

I can't find 10 names on that list to fill the first page of a leaderboard that would all be boring enough that nobody would care to watch.

Maybe if it comes down to a three man race between Thongchai Jaidee, David Lynn, and Derek Ernst, that might test out the loyalty of the Masters viewership? ;)

So why haven't we heard about his injury specifically? I am not asking fro a press conference, nor do I feel that he is giving away a viable injury secret that would benefit the other players. I mean its not like Tom Brady is stating an injury that could hamper his ability to pass run or even play in a big game against the Jets ( Jets fans settle down its just an example) giving the Jets an unbridled advantage.

I would think he would know by now and what treatments are now being subscribed to complete. 1) does this mean he doesn't know? 2) does he not care that his fans are concerned ( arrogance)

3) Does he wish to not inform anyone if he'll be playing in the masters or beyond?

I would think by now with modern medicine something would be announced, Other than lower back pain and spasms that all we have heard. I am no doctor nor do I play one on TV but Spasms is the body's reaction to protect another injury.....

Of all tournaments, though, The Masters kind of generates its own interest.  And here is a list of the current field:  http://www.masters.com/en_US/players/invitees_2014.html

I can't find 10 names on that list to fill the first page of a leaderboard that would all be boring enough that nobody would care to watch.

Maybe if it comes down to a three man race between Thongchai Jaidee, David Lynn, and Derek Ernst, that might test out the loyalty of the Masters viewership? ;)

Looking at that list I could find many other groupings that I'd have no interest in watching; Sandy Lyle, Michael McCoy, Larry Mize or Ken Duke, Matthew Fitzpatrick and Oliver Goss are just two of many.  Fortunately I don't any of our groupings will be anywhere in the mix at least I hope not.

Joe Paradiso

So why haven't we heard about his injury specifically? I am not asking fro a press conference, nor do I feel that he is giving away a viable injury secret that would benefit the other players. I mean its not like Tom Brady is stating an injury that could hamper his ability to pass run or even play in a big game against the Jets ( Jets fans settle down its just an example) giving the Jets an unbridled advantage.

I would think he would know by now and what treatments are now being subscribed to complete. 1) does this mean he doesn't know? 2) does he not care that his fans are concerned ( arrogance)

3) Does he wish to not inform anyone if he'll be playing in the masters or beyond?

I would think by now with modern medicine something would be announced, Other than lower back pain and spasms that all we have heard. I am no doctor nor do I play one on TV but Spasms is the body's reaction to protect another injury.....

He said it's a bulging disc, what more do you need to know?  Consider it a "day to day" football injury so there's no long term prognosis, he and his team will decide if he can play when they have to.

Why aren't you asking for Phil to hold a press conference about his oblique or Ryan Moore about his hip problem?

Joe Paradiso

Why aren't you asking for Phil to hold a press conference about his oblique or Ryan Moore about his hip problem?

Not the same.  I (and probably many others) do not care about Phil's and Ryan's injuries.

I would like a better insight to Tigers though.

-Matt-

Not the same.  I (and probably many others) do not care about Phil's and Ryan's injuries.

I would like a better insight to Tigers though.

I agree, but that's the point, everything Tiger does is always under the microscope far beyond any other pro.

Joe Paradiso

So why haven't we heard about his injury specifically? I am not asking fro a press conference, nor do I feel that he is giving away a viable injury secret that would benefit the other players. I mean its not like Tom Brady is stating an injury that could hamper his ability to pass run or even play in a big game against the Jets ( Jets fans settle down its just an example) giving the Jets an unbridled advantage. I would think he would know by now and what treatments are now being subscribed to complete. 1) does this mean he doesn't know? 2) does he not care that his fans are concerned ( arrogance)  3) Does he wish to not inform anyone if he'll be playing in the masters or beyond? I would think by now with modern medicine something would be announced, Other than lower back pain and spasms that all we have heard. I am no doctor nor do I play one on TV but Spasms is the body's reaction to protect another injury.....

Since when has tiger ever divulged all the information on anything going on in his camp? He is a control freak. They are his medical records and he's paying for them so technically he has no obligation to share.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

i didnt realize that he came out and officially said it was a bulging disc, i thought that was just speculation.

Colin P.

Since when has tiger ever divulged all the information on anything going on in his camp? He is a control freak. They are his medical records and he's paying for them so technically he has no obligation to share.

Technically you are correct.  Tiger (or any other golfer) does not have to say anything.  It just seems it would be nice to his fans to fill them in.

-Matt-

[QUOTE name="Valleygolfer" url="/t/72993/tiger-woods-master-catch-all-thread-was-injury-thread/252#post_970003"]   [CONTENTEMBED=/t/72993/tiger-woods-master-catch-all-thread-was-injury-thread/260_20#post_969983 layout=inline] [/CONTENTEMBED] Since when has tiger ever divulged all the information on anything going on in his camp? He is a control freak. They are his medical records and he's paying for them so technically he has no obligation to share.[/QUOTE] Technically you are correct.  Tiger (or any other golfer) does not have to say anything.  It just seems it would be nice to his fans to fill them in.

Nice yes but would it lead to less or more scrutinizing ? I think he's gotten to the point where he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't so he just shuts up.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

So why haven't we heard about his injury specifically? I am not asking fro a press conference, nor do I feel that he is giving away a viable injury secret that would benefit the other players. I mean its not like Tom Brady is stating an injury that could hamper his ability to pass run or even play in a big game against the Jets ( Jets fans settle down its just an example) giving the Jets an unbridled advantage. I would think he would know by now and what treatments are now being subscribed to complete. 1) does this mean he doesn't know? 2) does he not care that his fans are concerned ( arrogance)  3) Does he wish to not inform anyone if he'll be playing in the masters or beyond? I would think by now with modern medicine something would be announced, Other than lower back pain and spasms that all we have heard. I am no doctor nor do I play one on TV but Spasms is the body's reaction to protect another injury.....

Tiger shouldn't have to divulge his injury history if he doesn't want to. I'm all for keeping that private if he wants to keep it private. And really, the arrogance thing again? It's his medical history. Fans aren't entitled to his personal life if he doesn't wish to share.

• Upvote 1

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter