IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

6 hours ago, newtogolf said:

I'm not sure Titleist would want that, as they are heading towards an IPO with Footjoy and I doubt they'd want him wearing Nike clothes, hat and shoes.  Also unless he comes cheap a potentially washed up Tiger may not be the person you want representing your equipment. 

But many top Pros have competing sponsors. They would need to do a study to see if was an issue. As for washed up, after Jack "retired" sponsors still wanted him. Tiger is still a huge name in golf, even in his twilight years.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

But many top Pros have competing sponsors. They would need to do a study to see if was an issue. As for washed up, after Jack "retired" sponsors still wanted him. Tiger is still a huge name in golf, even in his twilight years.

I agree to some level but based on what I've heard and read (I didn't watch golf when Jack was playing) Jack carried himself as an ambassador of the sport where as Tiger just wanted to win and wasn't concerned about making friends with the media or fans.  

Joe Paradiso

54 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I agree to some level but based on what I've heard and read (I didn't watch golf when Jack was playing) Jack carried himself as an ambassador of the sport where as Tiger just wanted to win and wasn't concerned about making friends with the media or fans.  

We have completely different views on this. Tiger changed how golf was seen by the general public and had non-golfers watching the sport. An 86 year old friend of mine, who never played golf, referred to Tiger as "My Tiger". She never missed him playing. He certainly grew golf viewership. Far more than Jack did for non-golfers.

I watched Jack in the tail end of his career. Jack also wanted to win, a lot. Jack also got a pass from the media then (as most players did) because it wasn't so interested in what happened off the course. Today's non-golf media almost ignores what happens on the course.

Scott

My Swing Thread

6 hours ago, boogielicious said:

But many top Pros have competing sponsors. They would need to do a study to see if was an issue.

He is still a huge name, as you say - but he's the quintessential Nike man, isn't he? In terms of being an ambassador for a brand, he basically built Nike golf. Any other potential sponsor is going to have to be aware that they will always be in the shadow of Nike, as far as Tiger's concerned. If he wins on tour again, the resultant Nike apparel ads will likely far surpass any other marketing linked to Tiger being "back."

I suppose a better question is: what does Tiger want from an equipment sponsor, at this point in his career? It's scarcely about a big pay day for him, is it? Besides, which sponsor would be willing to provide a very generous contract at this point, given that is yet to be established that he will return to the tour, and can continue to compete thereafter? Surely all Tiger needs is the technical support offered by the equipment sponsor?

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if, when shopping for clubs, he went back to where it all began, over twenty years ago: Mizuno.

Edited by ScouseJohnny

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

We have completely different views on this. Tiger changed how golf was seen by the general public and had non-golfers watching the sport. An 86 year old friend of mine, who never played golf, referred to Tiger as "My Tiger". She never missed him playing. He certainly grew golf viewership. Far more than Jack did for non-golfers.

I watched Jack in the tail end of his career. Jack also wanted to win, a lot. Jack also got a pass from the media then (as most players did) because it wasn't so interested in what happened off the course. Today's non-golf media almost ignores what happens on the course.

You say you have different views but you offered nothing in the way of a counter.

@newtogolf's assessment is correct, Tiger cared about winning and little about his competitors or the media.  

And your assessment that Tiger grew viewership among non-golfers is correct. I missed the connection between the two points.  

Both are/were attractive to companies as spokesmen post-playing.  Neither have/will reach Arnie's level in that regard, however.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

7 hours ago, boogielicious said:

True. Jordan Spieth (for example) has a bag full of Titliest clubs but wears nothing but under amour apparel. Im sure whatever deal Tiger ends up with will be similar. 

Rumor mill says that Tiger will be wearing nike shoes and playing with custom fitted Warrior Golf clubs that he can return at any time if he is not satisfied...

• Upvote 3

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

29 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Rumor mill says that Tiger will be wearing nike shoes and playing with custom fitted Warrior Golf clubs that he can return at any time if he is not satisfied...

LOL!  Yeah I'm sure being able to return the clubs at anytime was the deal breaker.

8 hours ago, Natural Patrick said:

LOL!  Yeah I'm sure being able to return the clubs at anytime was the deal breaker.

They just need his credit card on file and the deal is cemented.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

On August 10, 2016 at 1:44 PM, Valleygolfer said:

Hahahahahaha!!!

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

On 8/10/2016 at 10:22 PM, colin007 said:

I can't imagine anyone turning down sponsoring Tiger (meaning, an equipment manufacturer).

Agreed. A hobbling tiger is still a huge name, especially worldwide. Nicklaus had name-branded clubs even after he stopped playing.

Kevin

On August 10, 2016 at 10:22 PM, colin007 said:

I can't imagine anyone turning down sponsoring Tiger (meaning, an equipment manufacturer).

As long as he plays..  ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

9 hours ago, David in FL said:

As long as he plays..  ;-)

Jack and Arnie are not playing and sponsors want them.:whistle:

Scott

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Jack and Arnie are not playing and sponsors want them.:whistle:

I'm a huge Tiger fan but you can't compare how Jack and Arnie conducted themselves versus Tiger thus far.  Tiger gets accolades because he was a great golfer, despite being cold to fans and the media.  Arnie and Jack were great golfers, always gracious to their fans and media and continue to play a huge role in golf today.  

A retired Tiger doesn't have the same value as Jack and Arnie long term to sponsors, though with an attitude change he could   

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator
3 hours ago, newtogolf said:

I'm a huge Tiger fan but you can't compare how Jack and Arnie conducted themselves versus Tiger thus far.  Tiger gets accolades because he was a great golfer, despite being cold to fans and the media.  Arnie and Jack were great golfers, always gracious to their fans and media and continue to play a huge role in golf today.  

A retired Tiger doesn't have the same value as Jack and Arnie long term to sponsors, though with an attitude change he could   

You can't say that Tiger isn't more valuable to sponsors. He's way more well known and played in a different era. For all you know "great golfer" might be better than "good guy." You're guessing.

All you can say is that he did things differently.

Michael Jordan is still a valuable brand.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

You can't say that Tiger isn't more valuable to sponsors. He's way more well known and played in a different era. For all you know "great golfer" might be better than "good guy." You're guessing.

All you can say is that he did things differently.

Michael Jordan is still a valuable brand.

It's called an opinion.  

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

It's called an opinion.  

No shit.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets