IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

Maybe Tiger is counting his U.S. Amateur wins so he'd "only" have to win two more majors ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I think that's more about him projecting confidence and less about him 100% believing that it is reality. If he admitted that he didn't think he could do it anymore then people would question his comeback even more. 

I agree, it's also a question Tiger has to be sick of getting asked, especially since he hasn't played a single round since his last back surgery.  In this case, there are stupid questions and that was one of them.  

Joe Paradiso

3 hours ago, newtogolf said:

I agree, it's also a question Tiger has to be sick of getting asked, especially since he hasn't played a single round since his last back surgery.  In this case, there are stupid questions and that was one of them.  

Yeah, I'd go with the first part of the answer as honesty, "I don't know and given the odds and experience of other top players in their 40's it seems unlikely".

The second part of the answer is a bit of bravado to both live up to the Tiger image of going for the heroic shot and the stupidity / tediousness of having to constantly address the question and having to deal with the media / fan fallout if he didn't sound less than 100% committed.

The guy was an excellent course tactician. Do people think he doesn't have a realistic sense of his odds?

Kevin

So now it's December, whatever man, I'll just wait for the highlights if it happens.

http://golfweek.com/2016/10/21/tiger-woods-return-hero-world-challenge-pga-tour/

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

So now it's December, whatever man, I'll just wait for the highlights if it happens.

http://golfweek.com/2016/10/21/tiger-woods-return-hero-world-challenge-pga-tour/

Do you think he's actually retired but just doesnt want to admit it? ;-)

"if i keep putting my return back a few months no one will notice ive actually hung up my clubs"

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

5 hours ago, RussUK said:

Do you think he's actually retired but just doesnt want to admit it? ;-)

"if i keep putting my return back a few months no one will notice ive actually hung up my clubs"

I'd like him to come back, but this starts and stops are starting to get painful.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

8 hours ago, turtleback said:

Tiger successfully trolls the golf world.

If it's intentional, it would be intentionally trolling the golf media.

I expect his game just wasn't as sharp as he'd want on a PGA tournament setup he likely got a chance to preview early.

Kevin

2 hours ago, natureboy said:

If it's intentional, it would be intentionally trolling the golf media.

I expect his game just wasn't as sharp as he'd want on a PGA tournament setup he likely got a chance to preview early.

Wasn't as sharp after seeing Phil light it up in MN.  I honestly believe that if Phil weren't in the event, Tiger would have given it a shot but Phil's play at the Ryder Cup intimidated him.  Phil has already beaten him heads up like 9 of the last 10 times they've played together.  His ego couldn't handle getting spanked by 7 or 10 strokes by his arch-nemesis.  

I'll also be so bold, since we're all speculating here, to make the hypothetical assessment that if Tiger had teed it up, Phil likely would have won the event.  Nothing inspires him quite like playing heads up with Tiger, especially the past 5 or 6 years.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

11 hours ago, Gunther said:

Wasn't as sharp after seeing Phil light it up in MN.  I honestly believe that if Phil weren't in the event, Tiger would have given it a shot but Phil's play at the Ryder Cup intimidated him.  Phil has already beaten him heads up like 9 of the last 10 times they've played together.  His ego couldn't handle getting spanked by 7 or 10 strokes by his arch-nemesis.  

I'll also be so bold, since we're all speculating here, to make the hypothetical assessment that if Tiger had teed it up, Phil likely would have won the event.  Nothing inspires him quite like playing heads up with Tiger, especially the past 5 or 6 years.

Tiger is getting beat by 7-10 strokes by his non arch-nemesis. What is that doing got his ego?

15 hours ago, Gunther said:

I'd be surprised if Phil crossed his mind during the decision at all, honestly. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

On 10/21/2016 at 4:04 PM, nevets88 said:

From what I read, it's been December since he pulled out of the first tournament he was scheduled to play in.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

2 hours ago, jamo said:

I'd be surprised if Phil crossed his mind during the decision at all, honestly. 

I don't think Phil directly did, but I do believe the larger gallery due to the pairing played a factor in his decision.  

Joe Paradiso

1 hour ago, newtogolf said:

I don't think Phil directly did, but I do believe the larger gallery due to the pairing played a factor in his decision.  

I disagree with that as well. Just by his own being there he'd draw a massive crowd and lead every sports show for the week. Phil adds, I dunno, another 20%? Is that really going to sway him?

Maybe it's foolish but I take him at face value when he says he just didn't think his game is up to snuff. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

3 hours ago, jamo said:

Maybe it's foolish but I take him at face value when he says he just didn't think his game is up to snuff. 

Not foolish but I would almost guarantee Phil's 63 on Sunday at the Ryder Cup had every influence on Tiger's decision, especially considering they were going to be paired together and knowing their history.  No doubt in my mind but obviously none of us know Tiger's mind, except maybe @colin007.

11 hours ago, Natural Patrick said:

Tiger is getting beat by 7-10 strokes by his non arch-nemesis. What is that doing got his ego?

No idea what u said there.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

1 hour ago, Gunther said:

No idea what u said there.

I'll take a stab at interpreting hasty smart phone predictive typing post.

"Tiger in his 2014 and early 2015 days before taking the break for his injury was generally behind the field in strokes so how was that affecting his ego?"

Was I close @Natural Patrick?

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

• Administrator
11 hours ago, Gunther said:

Not foolish but I would almost guarantee Phil's 63 on Sunday at the Ryder Cup had every influence on Tiger's decision, especially considering they were going to be paired together and knowing their history.  No doubt in my mind but obviously none of us know Tiger's mind, except maybe @colin007.

I have a little inside knowledge here, and Phil's play at the Ryder Cup likely had nothing to do with it.

Also, it's unlikely they'd be paired together. They'd likely be on opposite ends of the field so the crowds and TV coverage would be spread out a bit.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

45 minutes ago, iacas said:

Also, it's unlikely they'd be paired together. They'd likely be on opposite ends of the field so the crowds and TV coverage would be spread out a bit.

Basically every golf media outlet reported that they were going to be paired together. Pretty sure it was a done deal

• Upvote 2