IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

I must be old or something..? I'll watch no matter who's playing...:-$

Same here, I'll watch no matter what. I have watched the masters so much I know where the pins are going to be on certain holes and I know which way putts are going to break.

Tiger at 75% is still a top five golfer. He's not as dominant as he once was, but he is definitely not ordinary when not at 100%.

Ordinary wasn't a good choice of words on my part...  He's still a monster and a threat in any tournament he is in...  but there are far more golfers today that can beat him when he doesn't have his "A" game...

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

And, like I said before, many "real golf fans" only watch when Tiger is playing because they have other things to do in their lives.

In that case, they're casual fans of the sport - and fans of TW and not fans of the PGA tour.

• Administrator
In that case, they're casual fans of the sport - and fans of TW and not fans of the PGA tour.

Nah. Could hardly disagree more.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Why all the hate towards Tiger and his fans?  Did Tiger blow you off for an autograph or sleep with your wife?  Seems pretty personal with you.

Joe Paradiso

That makes no sense. How could they be TW fans if they weren't fans of golf?  The PGA Tour is not golf, just as the NBA is not basketball. A casual fandom is just as valid as obsessive fandom.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Ordinary wasn't a good choice of words on my part...  He's still a monster and a threat in any tournament he is in...  but there are far more golfers today that can beat him when he doesn't have his "A" game...

I think the average caliber of player now in 2014 is way better than it was ten years ago, all of these guys are so good.

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

Why all the hate towards Tiger and his fans?  Did Tiger blow you off for an autograph or sleep with your wife?  Seems pretty personal with you.

hate? Why is the word hate used when ever someone has an opposing view point? It really does say a lot about the person that uses " hate " doesn't it. I see it as an opinion. obviously there are different levels of being a fan. fan that just tune in when a certain players or team is winning, or in the championship I refer to as pink hat fans. Don't get me wrong pink hat fans spend money foolishly on their players/teams. They turn their TV sets on. They may not even play golf. I believe that Rick Martin's point. People that only tune in when Tiger is winning on the final round are fans of Tiger woods and not so much of the sport. Every sport has them, they're casual fans, fans of convenience. They sometimes will go out of their way to dress like Tiger. However these casual same fans of Tiger wouldn't get caught dead with a Nike golf shirt a few years ago during hydrant-gate. -a fan of convenience. On the other hand on the fans of the PGA are fans of golf, they play it, breath it, can speak intelligently about it and yes they are fans of tigers and other golfers too. There are quite a few can take tiger or leave him. In my opinion they should be treated with dignity and respect for their loyalty to the game, tour, players and loyalty.

• Administrator
I believe that Rick Martin's point. People that only tune in when Tiger is winning on the final round are fans of Tiger woods and not so much of the sport.

On the other hand on the fans of the PGA are fans of golf, they play it, breath it, can speak intelligently about it and yes they are fans of tigers and other golfers too. There are quite a few can take tiger or leave him. In my opinion they should be treated with dignity and respect for their loyalty to the game, tour, players and loyalty.

I only tend to watch golf when Tiger's playing or during the majors. I've attended dozens of events, as well. I spend well over 80 hours a week obsessed with the game of golf. I'm too busy teaching golf, writing about golf, playing golf, thinking about golf, and when not doing those things, hanging out with my family, that I can't prioritize watching golf above those things.

But people like me don't exist in your eyes, or Rick's.

To write people like me off - of which there are thousands and a higher concentration of them here, too, since this site has a lot of golf fans - is pretty darn stupid IMO.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

hate? Why is the word hate used when ever someone has an opposing view point? It really does say a lot about the person that uses " hate " doesn't it.

I see it as an opinion. obviously there are different levels of being a fan. fan that just tune in when a certain players or team is winning, or in the championship I refer to as pink hat fans. Don't get me wrong pink hat fans spend money foolishly on their players/teams. They turn their TV sets on. They may not even play golf.

I believe that Rick Martin's point. People that only tune in when Tiger is winning on the final round are fans of Tiger woods and not so much of the sport.

Every sport has them, they're casual fans, fans of convenience. They sometimes will go out of their way to dress like Tiger. However these casual same fans of Tiger wouldn't get caught dead with a Nike golf shirt a few years ago during hydrant-gate. -a fan of convenience.

On the other hand on the fans of the PGA are fans of golf, they play it, breath it, can speak intelligently about it and yes they are fans of tigers and other golfers too. There are quite a few can take tiger or leave him. In my opinion they should be treated with dignity and respect for their loyalty to the game, tour, players and loyalty.

I don't particularly care for Boo Weekley or Brendon De Jonge. I'm still capable of making it through an entire day or even weeks at a time without bringing it up. So yeah, I would say that you guys (and you know who you are) definitely have more of a seething hatred kinda thing going on than a simple, "meh, Tiger, I can take him or leave him."

What I don't get is why y'all deny it. Why not revel in it? Just shout it out to the mountain on high, "I HATE TIGER!" It may, in fact, be therapeutic, cauterizing if you will.

Either way, you're welcome to your opinions however dark and poisonous they may be, more power to ya. I hope it gives you some kind of pleasure and I'm sure it does, nothing like a villain to make the sparkling armor of your chosen champions shine all the more purely.

PS: Thanks for the Drinking Game, makes Sunday golf much more interesting, almost fills the void of having no Tiger to root for.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

hate? Why is the word hate used when ever someone has an opposing view point? It really does say a lot about the person that uses " hate " doesn't it.

I see it as an opinion. obviously there are different levels of being a fan. fan that just tune in when a certain players or team is winning, or in the championship I refer to as pink hat fans. Don't get me wrong pink hat fans spend money foolishly on their players/teams. They turn their TV sets on. They may not even play golf.

Every sport has them, they're casual fans, fans of convenience. They sometimes will go out of their way to dress like Tiger. However these casual same fans of Tiger wouldn't get caught dead with a Nike golf shirt a few years ago during hydrant-gate. -a fan of convenience.

I used the word hate because Rick jumps into about every thread that mentions Tiger and writes a negative post about him and takes a shot a Tiger fans as well.  I don't like Daly, Sabbatini or Bubba but I don't constantly thrash them or their fans in every thread I find.

I also disagree that because I make time to watch golf when Tiger is playing qualifies me as a casual fan.  I am also a hardcore football fan but I won't go out of my way to watch the Jaguars and Bucs play on Thursday night when I have better things to do.

Life is about priorities, seeing the potential for history to be made gets a higher priority than watching Bowditch and Loupe.  If I'm not doing anything this afternoon I'll turn it on, but I am not re-arranging my schedule for it.

• Upvote 2

Joe Paradiso

I would think anybody that frequents this forum likes golf (golf fan). As others have said, many people's interest rises when Tiger is playing. FWIW, mine definitely does. I really hope he plays in the Masters.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Lmao, I'm not even sure how to characterize this comment. Firstly, "hate" or "dislike" is almost always noticeable when present...and, yes it is often presented/justified in the form of opinions. However, you feel about anyone, celebrity or not, is really your problem.

I like TW, I watch when he's on, If he's not, I may or may not watch.

I love Golf, play golf, and I like Nike. If that situation doesn't fit into anyone's definition of a golf fan, that's their problem.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

IMHO, liking or disliking Tiger is not relevant to the level of golf fan that you are.

I absolutely love baseball, but I can't sit and watch it on TV everyday during the regular season... I can watch my favorite team though.  I can appreciate the pitchers duals that so many find boring......  I can also get out there and play on my adult league team or coach little league and absolutely love the sport and all the nuances of the game...  Just because I like the Red Sox or "hate" the Yankees doesn't mean I am any more or less a fan than someone who follows the entire league and will watch any game on.  However, I have no interest in watching a regular season Marlins game in June on TV or even the two national league teams battle it out in September for a playoff spot.  I'll watch highlights and check the box score and I'm good....  But I will surely watch my Sox down the stretch...

To me, golf is a hell of a lot more interesting when Tiger is in the running - As a true golf fan, I appreciate & respect all that he has done for the game... I'm a lot more likely to make time to watch if he is in contention...

• Upvote 1

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

To me, golf is a hell of a lot more interesting when Tiger is in the running - As a true golf fan, I appreciate & respect all that he has done for the game... I'm a lot more likely to make time to watch if he is in contention...

Anyone who says it isn't more interesting when Tiger is in the running is lying.  It's clearly more interesting.  (Now, I get frustrated when he's 8 shots out of the lead and they are showing every practice swing, but he moves the needle...it's just a fact of life.)

Fact is, golf needs another Tiger Woods -- that is, a player who captivates.  Personally, I think that next guy is going to be Jordan Spieth, but there are certainly a lot of contenders.  The first crop of "young guns" hasn't really panned out that way, although why Rory gets so much crap for having "only" won 2 majors is beyond me.

• Upvote 1

I can never understand why people hate someone because they are kickassed in their profession. Rick and the grumpy1 can't pass up a chance to take their personal vendetta to the forum. Look around, do you see a ton of other posters jumping on hating on the golfer they don't care for every time he is mentioned? Tiger is not the bad guy, it's the guy in the mirror friend...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I can never understand why people hate someone because they are kickassed in their profession. Rick and the grumpy1 can't pass up a chance to take their personal vendetta to the forum. Look around, do you see a ton of other posters jumping on hating on the golfer they don't care for every time he is mentioned? Tiger is not the bad guy, it's the guy in the mirror friend...

People don't hate him because he is really good. People hate him because he comes off as an arrogant person. He spits and uses profanity all the time on the course ( example ). I don't think the incident in 2009 helped with people's opinion towards him either.

• Administrator
He spits and uses profanity all the time on the course.

By those criteria you must not be a fan of ~90%+ of PGA Tour golfers or almost any other athlete playing a major sport. And you won't convince me that's the case, so…