IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

I watched a lot of the Honda Classic these past few days. I thought Tiger played great for the most part. He hit several tremendous iron shots and just seems to have a little rust left over. I do have a question though. When you watch golf on the TV and one of the commentators says something like "to hit a hook like that he has the clubface pointing where he wants it to finish and the path where he wants it to start", I get like a visceral "ouch!" reaction. It really yanks me out of my mindset. Tiger on day three I think it was hit two pretty awful shots on 15 and 17, way to the left and virtually unplayable spots. Faldo said "Obviously that was a matter of nerves". Just wondered if that triggered that kind of visceral reaction in people. 

That aside - what do people think caused those shots? My guess is he was aiming at the flag or close to it and wasn't 100% committed to it, then top of the backswing he thought "no, bad idea" and pulled it way left. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So I'm reading on another forum that Woods' CHS was measured incorrectly, it's more around low 120s, which still is pretty good. Which makes me wonder where the CBS folks are placing the radar, and if it's setup correctly and if they have people who know radar actually interpreting the numbers correctly. Or are the numbers right?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

2 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

I get like a visceral "ouch!" reaction. It really yanks me out of my mindset. Just wondered if that triggered that kind of visceral reaction in people. 

I get the same reaction regarding approach shots

I dont remember if it was Saturday or Sunday, he had maybe 190 or 200 left to the flag after a poor iron shot off the tee, striped a 6 iron to like 20 feet and they said it was an "ok shot" even though it was 10+ feet closer to the pin that what he averages from that distance.

Not just for Tiger, but it seems like unless the approach shot is within 5 feet of the hole, announcers dont like to give credit for approach shots, which in turn makes amateurs have unrealistic expectations.

1 minute ago, nevets88 said:

So I'm reading on another forum that Woods' CHS was measured incorrectly, it's more around low 120s, which still is pretty good. Which makes me wonder where the CBS folks are placing the radar, and if it's setup correctly and if they have people who know radar actually interpreting the numbers correctly. Or are the numbers right?

A 122 clubhead speed at a 1.5 smash factor puts the ball speed at 183, which is what CBS was showing for his ball speed.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

8 minutes ago, klineka said:

A 122 clubhead speed at a 1.5 smash factor puts the ball speed at 183, which is what CBS was showing for his ball speed.

Those 128 MPH CHS tweets though - wonder where the source is from? Don't want to be a wet blanket, just guarding against exaggerations that satisfy a narrative.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 hour ago, klineka said:

I get the same reaction regarding approach shots

I dont remember if it was Saturday or Sunday, he had maybe 190 or 200 left to the flag after a poor iron shot off the tee, striped a 6 iron to like 20 feet and they said it was an "ok shot" even though it was 10+ feet closer to the pin that what he averages from that distance.

Not just for Tiger, but it seems like unless the approach shot is within 5 feet of the hole, announcers dont like to give credit for approach shots, which in turn makes amateurs have unrealistic expectations.

Absolutely agree. I remember that exact shot. They were talking about how hard the shot was before he hit it. Then it lands and rolls down to 15 feet and silence. I was like "what does he have to do? That was an incredible shot" coming as it did in a bunch of incredible approach shots. 

1 hour ago, Ty_Webb said:

That aside - what do people think caused those shots? My guess is he was aiming at the flag or close to it and wasn't 100% committed to it, then top of the backswing he thought "no, bad idea" and pulled it way left. 

I think Tiger's biggest strengths is his mindset. Also, I don't think there's any time to change your mind in a fast golf swing. Most likely just that he's still rusty, timing isn't great yet, and simply hits more bad shots than he used to in his prime. That, and golf is hard. :)

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

Those 128 MPH CHS tweets though - wonder where the source is from? Don't want to be a wet blanket, just guarding against exaggerations that satisfy a narrative.

I think that was just for that 10th hole, where he kept bombing them around the corner. I saw them posted on Brandel's account and Brendon Porath's account, I think. 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

1 minute ago, jbishop15 said:

I think that was just for that 10th hole, where he kept bombing them around the corner. I saw them posted on Brandel's account and Brendon Porath's account, I think. 

If your average CHS is 121, 122, is it a stretch you can turbo boost it up to 128? I want to believe.

Steve

Just now, nevets88 said:

If your average CHS is 121, 122, is it a stretch you can turbo boost it up to 128? I want to believe.

Players like DJ always say that they swing at like 80%. I suppose it's possible. Tiger's smash factor was also pretty low at the tourney. Like 1.48, I think. 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Just now, jbishop15 said:

Players like DJ always say that they swing at like 80%. I suppose it's possible. Tiger's smash factor was also pretty low at the tourney. Like 1.48, I think. 

OK, I believe. :-)

Steve

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, jbishop15 said:

That's not low. That's pretty typical for a PGA Tour player.

And DJ isn't swinging at 80%. Feel ain't real.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

So, Trackman tablet screen screencap or it ain't real?

Steve

25 minutes ago, iacas said:

That's not low. That's pretty typical for a PGA Tour player.

And DJ isn't swinging at 80%. Feel ain't real.

I always assumed the PGA guys were all at 1.50. Guess that's what I get for assuming! 

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

post-25754-0-46889100-1519668897_thumb.jpg

I wonder if this is driver only or 3W too. Off the tee so assuming anything one hits off the tee.

Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 5.01.00 PM.png

https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02401.html

I dunno, this rathole has me doubting the PGA Tour's radar numbers. 

Steve

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I've never seen a TM or FS behind Woods at the range, I'm sure he's used radar. Maybe I'm just not getting the photos with radar in it. He has to own one, no?

Steve

I always assumed the PGA guys were all at 1.50. Guess that's what I get for assuming! 

Smash factor from Trackman:

TrackMan Combine Averages

Male Amateur (Driver)

• Scratch of Better – 1.49
  • 5 HCP – 1.45
  • 10 HCP – 1.45
  • Average Golfer (14.5) – 1.44
  • Bogey Golfer – 1.43
Edited by dennyjones

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator

https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02403.2017.html

Median last year was 1.485.

And since they measure the center of mass, you can get stuff above 1.5 with legal clubheads. I was sort of assuming they'd correct for that, but they don't.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, nevets88 said:

So I'm reading on another forum

I'm going to forget that you said that.

This time.

• Like 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4