IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

13 minutes ago, Dr. Manhattan said:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/tiger-confidential-what-pros-really-say-about-tigers-chances-at-the-masters

Still the most scrutinized person in sports. Some of the comments are cheap shots about faking injuries. Hiding behind anonymous "tour pro" nicknames. They should step up in front of a camera and put their name to those comments.

Thanks for the link; very interesting.

I found it amazing that some of them took cheap shots.  I have encountered people on golf boards who thought Tiger faked his injuries, but it didn't bother me, because you can always find idiots on internet forums (leaving myself wide open, I know).  But to see a major champion do it does bother me. 

Good Lord, almost every time Tiger had a WD, it was followed by either an operation, or a period of months when he had to miss several majors, or both.  What more proof do they need --- bone sticking out through his skin?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, brocks said:

Thanks for the link; very interesting.

I found it amazing that some of them took cheap shots.  I have encountered people on golf boards who thought Tiger faked his injuries, but it didn't bother me, because you can always find idiots on internet forums (leaving myself wide open, I know).  But to see a major champion do it does bother me. 

Good Lord, almost every time Tiger had a WD, it was followed by either an operation, or a period of months when he had to miss several majors, or both.  What more proof do they need --- bone sticking out through his skin?

The moronic accusation about 2008 U.S. Open was not a very thoughtful analysis. Guy faked an injury and then shut down through 2 majors, multiple WGC's, the FedEx Cup playoffs, etc. Anyone who believes this little conspiracy theory might want to drink some bleach.

• Like 1

Living legend.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So when Woods was having problems with driver at Rivera/Torrey, I can't see a big difference between then and now. Has he made any slight adjustments since?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

23 hours ago, Dr. Manhattan said:

Anyway it seems the commentary in that link was after the Torrey tournament based on some of the references. I wonder if any of them would like to revise anything they said at the time.

Yea some of the comments seem a lot more bearish than they probably could/should be if they had come after the Valspar where the dude had his B+ game and easily could have won. 

Major Champion: "There are 20 guys, who at their best, play like Tiger did in 2000."

I haven't read all of the article yet but so far that takes the cake for most outrageous thing said.

Edited by skydog

21 minutes ago, skydog said:

Yea some of the comments seem a lot more bearish than they probably could/should be if they had come after the Valspar where the dude had his B+ game and easily could have won. 

Major Champion: "There are 20 guys, who at their best, play like Tiger did in 2000."

I haven't read all of the article yet but so far that takes the cake for most outrageous thing said.

Maybe he's talking about the Western Open, where Tiger had his worst finish of the year, at T23.  Or the Nissan, where he was T18.  Or maybe even the Buick, where he was T11.

Incredibly, he was in the top 5 in his other 17 events, including his 9 wins.

• Like 1

For those who want numbers rather than opinions regarding Tiger's dominance at his peak.  Interesting that four of the players in the 2001 top ten have won majors fairly recently.

wgrnow.thumb.JPG.cd34c03d4ba59edf109094ded609524d.JPGwgrthen.thumb.JPG.eb4ac8647c26fb5d6c69c53c6e0d7a47.JPG

Edited by brocks

8 minutes ago, brocks said:

For those who want numbers rather than opinions regarding Tiger's dominance at his peak.  Interesting that four of the players in the 2001 top ten have won majors fairly recently.

wgrnow.thumb.JPG.cd34c03d4ba59edf109094ded609524d.JPGwgrthen.thumb.JPG.eb4ac8647c26fb5d6c69c53c6e0d7a47.JPG

They have changed the system a little bit since then, but the relative level between Tiger and everyone else should be similar. I may have a play around and see if I can figure out how many points Tiger would have right now if he had just had the run he had at that point in 2001.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

So when Woods was having problems with driver at Rivera/Torrey, I can't see a big difference between then and now. Has he made any slight adjustments since?

He changed his equipment. Noticing 1-2° is nearly impossible, looking at a few swings from vastly different angles.

1 hour ago, skydog said:

Yeah, that was ridiculous. Was the guy even ten in 2000? Nobody in the history of the game has played at that level, many could argue, and this guy is saying 20 guys can. Ha.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

He has gone to a lighter shaft and has tweaked the length. 

47 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

They have changed the system a little bit since then, but the relative level between Tiger and everyone else should be similar. I may have a play around and see if I can figure out how many points Tiger would have right now if he had just had the run he had at that point in 2001.

Yes, you can see that for other than Tiger and Phil (who is certainly one of the top 20 golfers in history), equivalent positions in the world top ten average a little under a point higher in the Tiger era than today.  I know that is no substitute for actually running the numbers, but it indicates that even under today's rules, Tiger would be up around 30.

40 minutes ago, brocks said:

Yes, you can see that for other than Tiger and Phil (who is certainly one of the top 20 golfers in history), equivalent positions in the world top ten average a little under a point higher in the Tiger era than today.  I know that is no substitute for actually running the numbers, but it indicates that even under today's rules, Tiger would be up around 30.

So I did it - I had to guess at a few points tallies for tournaments that don't exist any more and for what week certain things happened in, but I'm seeing 23.74 points average at week 22 2001. The system used to be a weighting of 1 for the past year and 0.5 for the previous year. Doing that straight up gives my numbers an average ranking of 32.27, so I'm pretty close and maybe being a little harsh with my points estimates. He suffers because he had so many points in the previous 12 months (including 400 for the majors).

On another note, his performance in the majors, WGCs and the Players, even if he had missed every other cut would still have given him 12.03 points, which would be enough to be #1 in the world.

Tiger definitely has his swing back and it looks like his game too. I could see a Masters win. I think the biggest threats to him winning are the local Perkins to get him off his game.

Edited by MuniGrit

Trollin' is the life

3 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

So I did it - I had to guess at a few points tallies for tournaments that don't exist any more and for what week certain things happened in, but I'm seeing 23.74 points average at week 22 2001

Thanks for doing the calculations.  Even the lower number indicates that my favorite stat still holds --- that the gap between Tiger and the world #2 golfer was greater than the gap between world #2 and me.

6 minutes ago, MuniGrit said:

Tiger definitely has his swing back and it looks like his game too. I could see a Masters win. I think the biggest threats to him winning are the local Perkins to get him off his game.

You really just can't help yourself, can you.  What are you, about 10?

• Like 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

(edited)
44 minutes ago, turtleback said:

You really just can't help yourself, can you.  What are you, about 10?

Don't feed the trolls - that comment was a clear attempt to simply generate a response. Pathetic

Edited by woodzie264
  • Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• Administrator
1 hour ago, woodzie264 said:

Don't feed the trolls - that comment was a clear attempt to simply generate a response. Pathetic

Besides, Tiger played better when he was being "distracted" by the Perkins waitresses. :-P

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Steve