IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Haha @Crim it's funny you brought up that video. The last two weeks I've been studying it a bit with the help of analyzr. Definitely a cool look.

With this view, it's interesting to see his knees square up in the early downswing, which then leads to the extension pieces starting to kick in, and the right foot banking. Plus it's cool to see just how long he keeps the hitting area in his central vision.

I think this is one area where most mid to high handicappers can improve. Too many golfers pick their heads up very early, many times before they have even hit the ball!

Yea I've never been a fan of the "keep your head down" stuff because it's so vague, but since you and I both seem to know what it really means, doing it correctly allows the shoulders and back to turn and extend at the correct rates. Just better sequencing all around as long as the lower body is driving forward, up, and around like it should be.

Of course, it's not 100% the same for everyone as Annika had her own special way of doing it too, for example, so... but I do love the way Tiger executes these series of pieces for sure.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yea I've never been a fan of the "keep your head down" stuff because it's so vague,

I think "Keep your head down" is the absolute worst advice you can give a beginner.  It took me about 2 months of teaching my wife to play before I realized that me saying, "Keep your head down" is what was causing her to dip down at the transition and then pull up over the top of the ball to avoid chunking it 5 feet behind the ball.

I found it a lot easier to teach her to "cover the ball" with the club.  For some reason, that particular image just clicked.  (That and we spent about 20 minutes in the backyard one day tossing buckets of water to teach her how to do a weight transfer.)

Yeah, obviously you don't want to keep your head down too long either. But most people go the other way and pick their head up too soon. I try to just keep the lower body rotating and it naturally pulls everything thru when it is supposed to happen. My right shoulder comes thru and brings my head up naturally.

I think if a player can see the ball very early off the club face, then that player probably looked early.

Yeah, I think the old head down advice is very dependant on your overall motion and what your issues are. If looking up is causing an issue than it needs to be addressed but if it isn't causing a problem, leave it alone. In other words, not a key and unless it affects your ability to perform one or more of the keys, it's a non issue.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Yeah, I think the old head down advice is very dependant on your overall motion and what your issues are. If looking up is causing an issue than it needs to be addressed but if it isn't causing a problem, leave it alone.

In other words, not a key and unless it affects your ability to perform one or more of the keys, it's a non issue.

As long as I don't see more than two airplanes before impact I'm good. :-D

Yeah, I think the old head down advice is very dependant on your overall motion and what your issues are. If looking up is causing an issue than it needs to be addressed but if it isn't causing a problem, leave it alone.

In other words, not a key and unless it affects your ability to perform one or more of the keys, it's a non issue.

It's essentially another way to look at keeping a steady head, so it's key no.1 stuff.

It's a dumbed down and often poorly explained phrase, but I think the better players know instinctively what it really means.

5SK's definition is obviously much better and wider in scope:

Steady Head - the average PGA Tour player moves his head one inch during his backswing and less on his downswing. Since virtually none of them move their heads forwards on the backswing, that means that for every guy who moves it two inches, there's a guy moving it zero inches. For every guy that moves it three inches, there are two guys who don't move their head one bit. A relatively steady head is important because it's efficient to turn our shoulders in a circle. If the circle remains relatively steady, contact with the golf ball becomes easier and more consistent.

Constantine

It's essentially another way to look at keeping a steady head, so it's key no.1 stuff. It's a dumbed down and often poorly explained phrase, but I think the better players know instinctively what it really means.  5SK's definition is obviously much better and wider in scope:

Right, but looking up doesn't necessarily violate key 1, depends on your overall motion. Duval and Sorensten clearly hit all 5 keys.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

It's essentially another way to look at keeping a steady head, so it's key no.1 stuff.

It's a dumbed down and often poorly explained phrase, but I think the better players know instinctively what it really means.

5SK's definition is obviously much better and wider in scope:

Right, but looking up doesn't necessarily violate key 1, depends on your overall motion. Duval and Sorensten clearly hit all 5 keys.

True. I mentioned Annika earlier in the thread, post #307.

I was talking about the head shooting up off the wall. Sorry, I should have been more specific. Often times you'll hear "keep your head down" after someone tells you "you picked your head up." You know: going from " /" to " I" too quickly in the downswing with the upper body.

Yet another example of why the phrase is so confusing.

Constantine

True. I mentioned Annika earlier in the thread, post #307.  I was talking about the head shooting up off the wall. Sorry, I should have been more specific. Often times you'll hear "keep your head down" after someone tells you "you picked your head up." You know: going from " /" to " I" too quickly in the downswing with the upper body. Yet another example of why the phrase is so confusing.

Well there I agree with you 100%. I used to do that and it was definitely an issue that interfered with my swing. I don't do it anymore (or at least not as bad) but my head will often rotate through impact and sometimes a touch before impact and that seems to be just fine for my swing. Hell, on pitch shoots I look up WAY before impact, my head basically follows my pivot.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

@Spitfisher nope, not retracting anything. Still a bulging disc.

I am not surprised that you would retract anything. It just so odd that Tiger announcement of pulling out of the masters as a result of a pinched nerve would be so incorrect, I mean think about it he could have said cancer, lymphoma, Ebola, he could have said anything but he chose pinched nerve.....:-D

Not seeing the problem here.  Bulging discs can pinch spinal nerves, no question. Pinched spinal nerves lead to acute pain and substantial fear. Tiger made a good choice but why on earth he traveled to Utah from Florida for the op is beyond me. Of course, i am in a different wealth bracket.

It just so odd that Tiger announcement of pulling out of the masters as a result of a pinched nerve would be so incorrect, I mean think about it he could have said cancer, lymphoma, Ebola, he could have said anything but he chose pinched nerve.....

Of course he said pinched nerve.   Speaking as someone who has been through a bulging disc (multiple times), the bulge is putting pressure (pinching) on the nerve and causing pain.   So it isn't at all suprising that he would say he had a pinched nerve because that is what is actually causing the pain..

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

I am not surprised that you would retract anything. It just so odd that Tiger announcement of pulling out of the masters as a result of a pinched nerve would be so incorrect, I mean think about it he could have said cancer, lymphoma, Ebola, he could have said anything but he chose pinched nerve.....:-D

Maybe he is more forthright than you give him credit for.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

What makes your morals the right ones?

So you think it's fine to swear loudly in front of strangers (including young children) and spit? Good morals.

Possibly.  At least different morals, and that is most anyone's right as long as he doesn't try to push his morals on someone else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

The people you've mentioned have sworn loudly enough that other people could hear them. Just because you haven't seen them do it on camera, doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Fred Couples swore on camera at the Bob Hope (IIRC) one year. He dropped his ball, it settled down, and a guy nearby chuckled. Fred said "You think that's ****ing funny, do you?" Picked right up on camera.

These guys all swear a helluva lot more than you seem to want to believe.

Well, I have yet to hear it. And look at the Tom Watson video I posted - it's obvious that Watson thinks Woods has a problem with his profanity.

Then maybe you should try attending a few tournaments.  Believe me, that will change your tune.  I worked a PGA Tour stop for 4 years as a hole marshal and got up close to every player in the field.  If that sort of experience doesn't open your eyes, nothing will.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Possibly.  At least different morals, and that is most anyone's right as long as he doesn't try to push his morals on someone else.   Then maybe you should try attending a few tournaments.  Believe me, that will change your tune.  I worked a PGA Tour stop for 4 years as a hole marshal and got up close to every player in the field.  If that sort of experience doesn't open your eyes, nothing will.

We've all moved on a long time ago. There's no sense in bringing this up again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Possibly.  At least different morals, and that is most anyone's right as long as he doesn't try to push his morals on someone else.

Then maybe you should try attending a few tournaments.  Believe me, that will change your tune.  I worked a PGA Tour stop for 4 years as a hole marshal and got up close to every player in the field.  If that sort of experience doesn't open your eyes, nothing will.

We've all moved on a long time ago. There's no sense in bringing this up again.

What can I say, I wasn't around - now I am and I had a comment to make.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Shamble just said "Tiger is the oldest 38-year old golfer in the history of the game." Apparently Shamble has never heard of a man named Ben Hogan.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"