IGNORED

Hideki Matsuyama buries putter 5 feet away from hole...

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 3701 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
More evidence from 3rd parties...

Then I'll have to quote myself:

Do you understand that nobody is saying Matsuyama was without blame, but that Poulter could have handled this much, much better than he did?

Every article you post just continues to demonstrate how much Poulter exaggerated the damage.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Then I'll have to quote myself:

Every article you post just continues to demonstrate how much Poulter exaggerated the damage.

Apparently Bill Hass liked the tweet...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• Administrator
Apparently Bill Hass liked the tweet...

:doh: And apparently you will continue to avoid the question.

A guy liked the tweet. Many didn't.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

And apparently you will continue to avoid the question.

A guy liked the tweet. Many didn't.

Did not miss anything.

There are two sides to every story... you apparently want everyone to march to one side...

Look at Charls Schwartzel's description of the hole.

Last time, I heard ...but correct me if I am wrong -- Matsu is a professional who plays on the PGA Tour, plays in public where people see him, kids see him, adults see him ... pros whether they like it or not, are sometimes seen as role models of behavior -- Matsu buries putter in ground on pristine green and does not repair damage, his actions affect another player whose putt is in the line of damage, official must be called over to repair damage, missed putt can cause thousands of lost dollars to a player, who misses the putt. Did the damage being repaired in front of him affect his putt? Maybe. Will kids beat putters into a green after seeing Matsu? Doubt it, but if they lose their temper, maybe. After all, a touring pro did it.

So Poulter calls him out in public so the general public knows this is not acceptable behavior, and that players do not condone what he did.

I may not agree with his method, but I won't condemn him, as most have done here, when you think of all the consequences of Matsu's behavior. And next time, Matsu will be certain his temper does not get the best of him.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Last time, I heard ...but correct me if I am wrong -- Matsu is a professional who plays on the PGA Tour, plays in public where people see him, kids see him, adults see him ... pros whether they like it or not, are sometimes seen as role models of behavior -- Matsu buries putter in ground on pristine green and does not repair damage, his actions affect another player whose putt is in the line of damage, official must be called over to repair damage, missed putt can cause thousands of lost dollars to a player, who misses the putt. Did the damage being repaired in front of him affect his putt? Maybe. Will kids beat putters into a green after seeing Matsu? Doubt it, but if they lose their temper, maybe. After all, a touring pro did it.

So Poulter calls him out in public so the general public knows this is not acceptable behavior, and that players do not condone what he did.

I may not agree with his method, but I won't condemn him, as most have done here, when you think of all the consequences of Matsu's behavior. And next time, Matsu will be certain his temper does not get the best of him.

From what we've seen of the incident, him "burying the putter" is a huge stretch. And the idea that kids are just going to start burying putters after seeing Matsuyama did it is kind of ludicrous, if only because a parent or other adult would say something to the kid who did the damage.

Matsuyama screwed up but I mean, did he need to be berated in front of the whole world? Schwartzel even said that apologizing wasn't necessary. Think of it in terms of yourself; if you made that mistake, or a family member or a friend made that mistake, how would you feel if they were publicly berated and humiliated?

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

• Administrator
Did not miss anything.

There are two sides to every story... you apparently want everyone to march to one side...

I'm asking you to answer a question. Cut the childish guilt-trip style or straw man style tactics. I don't want anyone to march on any side, but I do want an answer to the question. I'll ask it again:

Do you understand that nobody is saying Matsuyama was without blame, but that Poulter could have handled this much, much better than he did?

I have hard time believing that that people honestly feel Matsuyama did nothing wrong and that any adult of a rational, sane mind thinks that the way Poulter handled it is fine.

Look at Charls Schwartzel's description of the hole.

He said you could "almost" make out the shape of the putter. Oooh, that's damning.

Watch the video, Jerry. Does that look like he "buries" his putter handle? Or are you willing to admit that it was an exaggeration by Poulter?

Yeah, Hideki threw a real temper tantrum…

(My opinion now, with which you can and will continue to disagree:) Hideki's behavior is the lesser of the two evils compared to the unprofessional manner in which Poulter reacted hours and hours after the fact (it wasn't even his line that was affected).

From what we've seen of the incident, him "burying the putter" is a huge stretch. And the idea that kids are just going to start burying putters after seeing Matsuyama did it is kind of ludicrous, if only because a parent or other adult would say something to the kid who did the damage.

Stop! You're making too much sense with your reasonable opinion!

Matsuyama screwed up but I mean, did he need to be berated in front of the whole world? Schwartzel even said that apologizing wasn't necessary. Think of it in terms of yourself; if you made that mistake, or a family member or a friend made that mistake, how would you feel if they were publicly berated and humiliated?

QFT.

He is a public figure. I just made the legal argument for the tweet. You don't need to agree.

When some kid "Hidecki's" the green on which you're about to putt, you'll wish Poulter had not been the only one tweeting...

• Administrator
He is a public figure. I just made the legal argument for the tweet. You don't need to agree.

:doh: Legal argument. Ha ha ha. Nobody's saying he has no right to tweet. Just that he's a jerk for doing it. Enough of the straw men crap. Nobody even would have seen it had Poulter behaved professionally. Poulter single-handedly increased the viewing count of the video by an order of magnitude or two because he was a tool about it.

Legal argument. Ha ha ha. Nobody's saying he has no right to tweet. Just that he's a jerk for doing it.

Enough of the straw men crap. Nobody even would have seen it had Poulter behaved professionally.

Poulter single-handedly increased the viewing count of the video by an order of magnitude or two because he was a tool about it.

thus, publicity stunt!

I am kinda glad he isn't an American or we would never hear the end of it....

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Quick factual recap, from what I have gathered: [LIST] [*] Matsuyama smacks his putter into the green. He causes a bit of damage, but says he did not notice it and did not repair it. [*] It's enough damage that Charl has a RO repair it. So we know that it's enough damage to affect a putt rolling over it. [*] Ian Poulter tweets about it afterwards, publicly calling Hideki an idiot. [*] Bill Haas says to Poulter that he liked the tweet. [*] Hideki apologizes, privately to Charl, Dufner, and Poulter, and publicly. [*] Charl, essentially, says that it was not that big of a deal. [/LIST] A few opinions: [LIST] [*] I'm not sure how much I buy Matsuyama when he says that he didn't notice the damage. I've hit my putter into a few greens, on purpose and by accident, and my absolutely first thought is to look for damage. I'm not sure how you purposefully smack a putter into a green and not think to look for damage. At the very least, hopefully he learns from this and is a bit more cautious. [*] To me, Poutler's most rational next step would be talking to Matsuyama in person and alerting him to the green damage. Poulter should know a thing or two about emotions on the golf course, and could possibly have used it as a teaching moment. But waiting a few hours and then passive-aggresively tweeting about it, while calling the guy an idiot? Seriously? [*] Charl and Dufner seem to have handled it as they should have. In private, they're not calling anyone out, they realize that we all make mistakes. They didn't whine in public or ASK for an apology. [*] What the hell does Bill Haas have to do with anything? If he's got a problem with Hideki, he should man the hell up and tell him in person. Don't semi-publically endorse Poulter's bullshit. [/LIST] They both made mistakes. Matsuyama's was one of emotion (and perhaps ignorance), while Poulter's was his normal self-centric shtick.
  • Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Quick factual recap, from what I have gathered:

Matsuyama smacks his putter into the green. He causes a bit of damage, but says he did not notice it and did not repair it.

It's enough damage that Charl has a RO repair it. So we know that it's enough damage to affect a putt rolling over it.

Ian Poulter tweets about it afterwards, publicly calling Hideki an idiot.

Bill Haas says to Poulter that he liked the tweet.

Hideki apologizes, privately to Charl, Dufner, and Poulter, and publicly.

Charl, essentially, says that it was not that big of a deal.

A few opinions:

I'm not sure how much I buy Matsuyama when he says that he didn't notice the damage. I've hit my putter into a few greens, on purpose and by accident, and my absolutely first thought is to look for damage. I'm not sure how you purposefully smack a putter into a green and not think to look for damage. At the very least, hopefully he learns from this and is a bit more cautious.

To me, Poutler's most rational next step would be talking to Matsuyama in person and alerting him to the green damage. Poulter should know a thing or two about emotions on the golf course, and could possibly have used it as a teaching moment. But waiting a few hours and then passive-aggresively tweeting about it, while calling the guy an idiot? Seriously?

Charl and Dufner seem to have handled it as they should have. In private, they're not calling anyone out, they realize that we all make mistakes. They didn't whine in public or ASK for an apology.

What the hell does Bill Haas have to do with anything? If he's got a problem with Hideki, he should man the hell up and tell him in person. Don't semi-publically endorse Poulter's bullshit.

They both made mistakes. Matsuyama's was one of emotion (and perhaps ignorance), while Poulter's was his normal self-centric shtick.

Yep.

When some kid "Hidecki's" the green on which you're about to putt, you'll wish Poulter had not been the only one tweeting...

This isn't a court of law, it's a court of public opinion.  We all agree, Hideki blew his temper and acted in an unprofessional way.  He realized the error of his ways and apologized.  Poulter also handled the situation in an unprofessional way.  Poulter as a more senior member of the WGC should have pulled Hideki aside, told him his feelings and kept it between them.  Instead Poulter put Hideki on blast on Twitter to prop up his social media relevance.

Hideki acted out of emotion, Poulter acted with intent to defame Hideki for his own benefit.  Thus, Hideki is an idiot, Poulter is an a$$h#le

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

This isn't a court of law, it's a court of public opinion.  We all agree, Hideki blew his temper and acted in an unprofessional way.  He realized the error of his ways and apologized.  Poulter also handled the situation in an unprofessional way.  Poulter as a more senior member of the WGC should have pulled Hideki aside, told him his feelings and kept it between them.  Instead Poulter put Hideki on blast on Twitter to prop up his social media relevance. Hideki acted out of emotion, Poulter acted with intent to defame Hideki for his own benefit.  Thus, Hideki is an idiot, Poulter is an a$$h#le

Jamo for President! Perfectly stated.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

[quote name="newtogolf" url="/t/73033/hideki-matsuyama-buries-putter-5-feet-away-from-hole/0_100#post_961192"]This isn't a court of law, it's a court of public opinion.  We all agree, Hideki blew his temper and acted in an unprofessional way.  He realized the error of his ways and apologized.  Poulter also handled the situation in an unprofessional way.  Poulter as a more senior member of the WGC should have pulled Hideki aside, told him his feelings and kept it between them.  Instead Poulter put Hideki on blast on Twitter to prop up his social media relevance. Hideki acted out of emotion, Poulter acted with intent to defame Hideki for his own benefit.  Thus, Hideki is an idiot, Poulter is an a$$h#le

Jamo for President! Perfectly stated.[/quote] Anyone can be a Canadian president...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Anyone can be a Canadian president...

True story.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Note: This thread is 3701 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!