IGNORED

how do you warm-up before playing

Gary L
Note: This thread is 3667 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know everyone has a different approach to warming up before a round, from two hours of hitting balls, chips and putts, to pulling up to the course 10 minutes before your tee time.  What works best for you?

15 minutes on the range rapid fire, 10 minutes putting and then enjoy a cigar and BS with the guys for a half hour before teeing off.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Arrive an hour or so early.
Leave everything in the car and sit and enjoy a coffee for 20 mins to relax after driving (driving stresses me out)
Get my clubs and make sure I don't need to buy anything else in the pro shop.
Hit a small bucket of ball at the range; 1/4 balls with the LW, 1/4 with the 9i, 1/4 with the 6i, 1/4 with 3W.
Move to the putting green and practice putt distances to get used to green speed and starting the ball on the correct line.
Get to the tee box 3-4 mins early and do a few tee club practice swings to loosen up.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Not much really. Range is down the street from the course so I usually just head straight to the course. Pitch and putt for 15-20 mins to get feel for the greens. This year I'll be adding 10-15 minutes of Aimpoint practice to my routine. Never been big on hitting a bucket of balls before teeing off. It tends to get me thinking too much about mechanics which is a bad head space for me if I'm going to be actually PLAYING golf. If I'm in a scramble I'll hit a bucket just to kill some time while waiting for my groups tee-off but otherwise I save practice for practice days.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Stretch a little, tie my shoes, put a peg in the ground and go.  If I have a bit more time I will putt a few.  Many of the courses I play do not have ranges so hitting balls is not part of the routine.

Brian Kuehn

tie my shoes,

I'm gonna start doing that.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I've got to hit a few. No more than 25 balls or so, but the joints and muscles need some help to get going. The last couple of balls will replicate the full swings I expect to hit on the first 2 holes. 5 minutes of primarily lag putts to get a feel for the green speed. That's about it.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Depends on the day.

During the week: Get off of the tractor, put my clubs on the cart, drive to the first tee, and tee it up (and rarely play very well).

On Saturday: Hit balls in the backyard at different targets from 40 to 150 yards, go to the course, and play (and usually play OK).

Since there's not a range that's about it. If I care about the round very much I practice putting in the living room the night before.

P.S. My neighbor's kid built a house down behind my house about 200 yards away. That used to be where I practiced hitting my driver every day.

Them building that house added a few strokes to my scores. ;-)

I am a terrible example to follow......

I haven't hit a ball on the range since 1995 and I've had unlimited range privies since January 1996.    I stretch a bit, take a few swings and let it fly.   The funny thing is I sometimes play great out of the gate....and then go downhill once I get loose..LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I am a terrible example to follow......

I haven't hit a ball on the range since 1995 and I've had unlimited range privies since January 1996.    I stretch a bit, take a few swings and let it fly.   The funny thing is I tend to hit a good shot out of the gate....and go down hill once I get loose..LOL

Me too. :beer:

It's actually fairly amazing how often I hit my best drive of the day on the first swing. Sometimes I don't even take a practice swing before my first shot for no particular reason other than I want to get the show on the road.

Most times....................I don't practice putt either..LOL

I go straight to the tee and go......

Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.   My best story of 2014 is that I birdied my first hole played of the year.  LOL

Rock solid drive..........(missed the fairway, but only by a couple feet with a good lie).......................wedged on to about 12-15ft.............made the putt!!!!   Hahaha................I birdied my first hole of the year after only playing a few times in the previous 4 months, but I birdied the hell out it!

It was downhill after that...................

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I do back and shoulder stretches before I leave home or work. At the course I typically putt and do a few slo-mo swings just to make sure I haven't left out something basic. If I am missing bad usually setup issues are the first flaw and it breaks down from there.

Dave :-)

I have to stretch and loosen up.  I have a short routine including swinging a weighted club with stretching and loosening exercises.  If I have time, I will hit the range for just a few balls, less than 20.  If I have to wait near the first tee, I will do some chips, pitches and putts and calibrate my AimPoint reading.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

If I have time, I'll hit a small bucket working on feels and noting my ball flight, then chip and putt.  I like to give myself 45 minutes to do this.

But usually i just head to the tee and swing my driver back and forth to loosen up.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Depends on the day for me. Weekdays, I'll just show up to the course and head to the first tee. If I have a few minutes to wait before my time, I'll hit some chips and putts. On the weekend, I usually show up 45 minutes before and hit some balls, chip, and putt.

Will W

Note: This thread is 3667 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!