IGNORED

What is your take on Par 3 courses for practice?

PA Golf Info
Note: This thread is 3643 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What is your take on Par 3 courses for practice?  Do you play them for a short game work out at all? And if yes tell us why and if not tell us why as well.

For me I do use them.  I fit them in from time to time as a last min thing.  On days I do not have a tee time set and I get the bug to get out there I like to hit them up. I feel that they really give me time to dial it in. The one that is closest to my house has every hazard you would run into on a normal course. They have a hole with a full 100 yard water carry shot to the green. They have holes that you are hitting up a hill about 30 feet in elevation to the green and then back down.  I love the hole that goes back down a you can not go long as there is a stream that wraps the back of the green.  Lost of tree roots on some holes with low tree branches for those low punch shots right from the chip area.  I get to work on all my short shots I just love it. I think it is a huge help for my game to work out on a good par 3 course.

just list your take on them and if you do play them for a short game workout.

There is a short course near me that isn't a complete par three but par is 34.   The par 4 holes are under 300 yards an I can get in 9 holes after work in a little over 1 hour if I play steady.   There are times though that I will play several balls into the greens if the pace permits, to practice my short game.   That's why I visit the course.  It is not in great shape but it does afford me the ability to practice my short game in a short amount of time.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I play a little executive course not to far from my place quite often. Very narrow, very small greens, and the six par fours all too narrow to use a wood. Playing there really helps my fine tune my distance control and club selection. Short game gets a good test as well being that you rarely have a lot of green to work with.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

@Golfingdad and I will play a small executive/practice course nearby in the mornings where we can get in 9 holes <1 hour. I've even been know to play 9 at lunch there as well, time permitting. That said, I think they are great short game practice, and really show you how important strike is to scoring.

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

There is one close to me with 18 holes, most of which are 160-200 yards. This definitely ain't no kiddie course, but it's a nice place to take the kids to play and not hold up play on the big boy course.

- Shane

Par 3 course are a great way to dial in your iron distances too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I enjoy playing a short executive course or a par-3 course on occasion, but I don't really consider it to be "practice", just another round.

When I think practice, I think working on one specific portion of my swing or a specific part of my game.  Let's face it, when playing a short course, there's really no difference from playing a full-sized course, except that you're not hitting as many (or any) drives with a driver.  You pretty much hit as many approach shots with irons of varying lengths and wedges playing a full-sized course as you do on a short course, so no, I don't really think of it as practice any more than any other round I play.  In fact, if you use a tee on the tee box, you may actually hit fewer iron shots that simulate the type of shots that that you'd hit on a normal course.

Good for a fun, quick round though, and there's nothing wrong with that!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I played one yesterday. It's good motivation for getting up early on a Saturday and getting the yard work done. That leaves me just enough time left for a quick trip around our local par 3 (Falcon Course, Kittyhawk, Dayton, OH). It has some pretty rugged holes for an executive course, but I can get around 18 holes in two hours or so depending on how crowded it is.

I played one yesterday. It's good motivation for getting up early on a Saturday and getting the yard work done. That leaves me just enough time left for a quick trip around our local par 3 (Falcon Course, Kittyhawk, Dayton, OH). It has some pretty rugged holes for an executive course, but I can get around 18 holes in two hours or so depending on how crowded it is.

The Falcon was the course I mentioned earlier. It actually has some teeth for an exec course. I'm still PO'd that I didn't get credit for suggesting that for a name change.

- Shane

There was an executive course I played a ton at during college, as it was free (I worked for one of the courses a few years. It was tough to get on the regular courses, but was always easy to jump on the exec). The strongest part of my game is 150 and in... And I believe the reason is because that's where I learned to play the game, on the exec course. Just bought a "practice pass" to a local range and Par 3. It'll be good to hit the range and the Par 3 for practice... Plus it's a great way to start getting my daughter into the game.

The Falcon was the course I mentioned earlier. It actually has some teeth for an exec course. I'm still PO'd that I didn't get credit for suggesting that for a name change.

I played there a lot when I was stationed at Wright-Patt, when it was called the Kitty course, it was great for the level I was at.  I played Hara Greens occasionally, too, but it got in horrible shape one year and probably never came back.  The 9-hole course on base was good, too, and just a little longer.

I play two different 9 hole courses to squeeze in a 1 - 2 hour of golf after work, or during rainy season.

One course is perfect for an iron & putting practice - an easy course with mostly par 3s of variable length.   Green conditions are very good.

The other course is very challenging with narrow fairways, small greens, and deep roughs.  In fact, they advertize it as the hardest executive course in East Bay area.  The course has five par 4 holes, three of them with sharp dog legs.  Course condition is rather poor - more like a dump.   Despite how difficult this course is, it attracts a lot of beginner golfers.  And they will lose dozens of balls before the round is over.  This is not a course for beginners.   I play the course to practice ball striking accuracy, and strategy.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

just yesterday i played an executive course in the area that is part of the metroparks system. they keep the course in great shape, and the staff there is very friendly and knowledgable. i generally go there when i'm playing bad, or if i want to sneak in a fast nine before work. there are several holes where i can use driver, and several par-threes are long enough where i can use mid-irons or even a hybrid.

I love Par 3 courses, it is the reason why my short game is as good as it is. There are a couple in the area, one you can't hit more than a 6 iron but there is another in my area that has some holes that you can take out driver or fairway wood if you want to get on the green in 1.

Whats in my bag:

:nike: SQ Dymo2 Driver

Triumph Fairway Woods

:nike: VRs X Irons

:nike: VR V-Rev Wedge

:mizuno: Putter

Note: This thread is 3643 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!