IGNORED

Why is Calvin Peete not talked about?

RightEdge
Note: This thread is 3612 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I wouldn't call "whorippedit" a troll. It's his opinion. It doesn't scare me. I don't know anything about Calvin Peete's situation but I am among the people who believe that racism is still alive and well in 2014. Not that it can be easily identified as the reason behind phenomena like Calvin Peete being overlooked by the golf world. It's probably far too simplistic to make such a claim but on the other hand I believe it is naive to reflexively poo-poo a claim simply because it might implicate some ugly human tendencies. This is probably the wrong place to say this but it seems to me like race relations in the US have stagnated (arguably regressed) since the 80s.

Oh I was fine with it the first 3 times he mentioned racism and no one cared. But it's getting old, whorippedit is literally talking about nothing else in this thread. He's just trying to lure people into talking about racism.

and then he said..."typical white response..."

how is that not trolling.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Oh I was fine with it the first 3 times he mentioned racism and no one cared. But it's getting old, whorippedit is literally talking about nothing else in this thread. He's just trying to lure people into talking about racism.

and then he said..."typical white response..."

how is that not trolling.

It was over the top, but I don't think it was intentional trolling.

To me, trolling is when someone wants to solicit someone else into an argument for no other reason than to watch them argue the point.

I think he was voicing his frustration.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Calvin Peete is talked about more than most players who haven't won a major and who's prime was in the 80's. I don't see any "Andy Bean" threads on the site ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Calvin Peete is talked about more than most players who haven't won a major and who's prime was in the 80's. I don't see any "Andy Bean" threads on the site

I was almost tempted to start one, after I determined that Andy Bean is an actual player with 18 professional wins.

Another interesting fact is he was born in the same place as the Federal Reserve.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

It was over the top, but I don't think it was intentional trolling.

Disagree, I will continue to think he's a troll, but will try my best not to feed him.

In other news, once again I went to the range with the mindest of balance....and for some reason this time I SUCKED...chunked and sliced a ton of shots. I just don't understand this game. How can one be so good on one day with the same mindset and so bad the next? ughhhhhhhhhhh

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Ok guys let's stick to the topic of the thread, thanks

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

On the subject of a balanced swing, one thing I always did when I was struggling is to make a rare range visit and hit a full bucket with my feet together.  It really tended to help me to avoid swaying.  It forces one to make a turn rather than rocking from one foot to the other.  That is a method which was used by a lot of instructors back when I was still trying to find my game.

Now I know that "my" game is much like Blackbeard's Treasure... probably only exists in my dreams. :smartass:

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Peete was a great ball striker and had a terrific run in the mid '80's. Much like the juice filled era in MLB of the 90's, he was overlooked because he averaged around 245 off the tee. Even back then the average on Tour was about 265-270, so Peete really was short but he made up for it with a great short game, as you mentioned. Certainly not forgotten just often overlooked.

Interesting, somehow I've never heard of him either. I'll be looking for videos of him just in case there's something I can glean from it.

How old are you?  If you were born after the 1980s, it is understandable.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I remember watching Senior PGA tournaments on TV as a kid in the '90s, during the Nicklaus/Trevino years when senior tour events were regularly on network television. I remember Calvin Peete. I also remember Jim Dent, who won a lot back in those days. It's worth pointing out that the black professionals before Tiger Woods were generally all older guys when they achieved their greatest success on the PGA Tour. Charlie Sifford, Lee Elder, Peete, and Jim Thorpe had all won PGA Tour events, but all of them were in their late 30s and 40s when they did.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

• Administrator

Proud whose I am . And proud that this thread was made to show Mr Peete was overlooked

Thankx

Will you be starting threads for all of the many players who were overlooked despite an adequate but largely unremarkable PGA Tour career?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Might. Thought these threads were open to expressing opinions . Mine was on Mr Peete as I inderstand feelings of being pushed back . His story prime example of what had to grow up with and still seeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whorippedit View Post

Might. Thought these threads were open to expressing opinions . Mine was on Mr Peete as I inderstand feelings of being pushed back . His story prime example of what had to grow up with and still seeing

No comments on Mr. Thorpe or Mr. Dent, or Mr. Elder?

Actually Lee Elder predated Calvin Pete and was the first black golfer to play in the Masters.  He won fewer tournaments than Peete, but he would be the one who truly cracked the race barrier on the PGA Tour for the first time.  Jim Thorpe and Jim Dent were also pros from an earlier date than Peete.

A quote from Wikipedia on Lee Elder's experiences with the racial issues on Tour. If not for Elder's efforts and perseverance and dedication to changing racial attitudes, Calvin Peete might never have had a chance to achieve the success he did.

Quote:

In 1975, Elder became the first African American to play in the Masters. Leading up to the tournament he received substantial amounts of hate mail. Fearing for his safety, during the week of the tournament he rented two houses in town and kept moving between them, and always had people around him when he went to eat.

At the Monsanto Open in 1968 in Pensacola, Florida , the same tournament at which he claimed his first PGA Tour victory six years later to qualify for the Masters, Elder and other black players on tour were forced to change their clothes in the parking lot because members of the club would not allow non-whites in their clubhouse. While playing in a tournament in Memphis, Tennessee , a fan picked up Elder's ball on a hole and threw it in a hedge. The incident was witnessed by another pro golfer, and Elder was given a free drop.

Elder tried to stay focused on the game, but unlike the majority of players on tour he was constantly bothered by unruly fans, frequently receiving hate mail and threatening phone calls.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 3612 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!