IGNORED

2014 Open Championship (British Open) at Royal Liverpool Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note:Β This thread is 3573 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Just on McIlroy.

He's catholic, a Manchester United supporter, has played for Ireland all his life and had his uncle killed by the Ulster Volunteer Force. He got some horrific abuse from somebody today, really unbelievable. I mean - you would NEVER hear that in the US. One guy was marched out, and that also explains the security around RM at the end walking down 18.

Should never have it at Liverpool again - a bunch of scumbags. Great course, but the patrons are horrid.

Say what? Why do you people in England dislike Liverpool so much?

It looks like a nice place. I mean, with the whole history of the Beetles and all.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5*Β 

3WD: Β Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons: Β Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2 Β 52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Geeezus, it was his second tournament after surgery. Give the guy a break. It was impressive enough to shoot under par on Thursday.

He has pretty much done that every major tourney lately.

People are gonna lose faith he can actually compete still.

Tony Β 

:titleist:Β  Β  | Β  :tmade:Β  Β | Β  Β  :cleveland:Β 

Luckily, Tiger doesn't run on peoples faith.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot ProΒ | Callaway X-Utility 3iΒ | Mizuno MX-700 23ΒΊ | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15ΒΊ | Titleist 910 D2 9,5ΒΊ | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just on McIlroy.

He's catholic, a Manchester United supporter, has played for Ireland all his life and had his uncle killed by the Ulster Volunteer Force. He got some horrific abuse from somebody today, really unbelievable. I mean - you would NEVER hear that in the US. One guy was marched out, and that also explains the security around RM at the end walking down 18.

Should never have it at Liverpool again - a bunch of scumbags. Great course, but the patrons are horrid.

How do you know the person who shouted that abuse was from Liverpool? That tournament was attended by people from all over the United Kingdom and the world at large.

Liverpool, in my experience, (being born and bred there and having spent the first three and a half decades of my life there) is not a sectarian city. That is not to say you will not find such beliefs if you choose to go in search of them, but that statement could be true of anywhere.

I am sorry that Mr. McIlroy was exposed to what is, essentially, racial abuse, whilst he was just doing his job of playing golf.

No need for you to condemn the course or the region on account of that, however.

And, for what it's worth, some of the biggest d***heads I've ever met in my life I encountered twelve years ago in a local's pub in Cornwall - generally unwelcoming, happy to use the worst sort of racist language quite openly in a public bar, hated strangers, referred to me as a "Scouse [insert expletive of choice]" from the moment I opened my mouth, even though I was with someone local to the Southwest, and did nothing to provoke them. So I had one pint and left. I don't imagine everyone from Devon or Cornwall or Dorset is like that, though.

Idiots have a tendency to pop up everywhere. No need to presume that idiocy is dependent upon region....

• Upvote 1

How do you know the person who shouted that abuse was from Liverpool? That tournament was attended by people from all over the United Kingdom and the world at large.

Liverpool, in my experience, (being born and bred there and having spent the first three and a half decades of my life there) is not a sectarian city. That is not to say you will not find such beliefs if you choose to go in search of them, but that statement could be true of anywhere.

I am sorry that Mr. McIlroy was exposed to what is, essentially, racial abuse, whilst he was just doing his job of playing golf.

No need for you to condemn the course or the region on account of that, however.

And, for what it's worth, some of the biggest d***heads I've ever met in my life I encountered twelve years ago in a local's pub in Cornwall - generally unwelcoming, happy to use the worst sort of racist language quite openly in a public bar, hated strangers, referred to me as a "Scouse [insert expletive of choice]" from the moment I opened my mouth, even though I was with someone local to the Southwest, and did nothing to provoke them. So I had one pint and left. I don't imagine everyone from Devon or Cornwall or Dorset is like that, though.

Idiots have a tendency to pop up everywhere. No need to presume that idiocy is dependent upon region....

Yes, agreed. Everywhere.

This is a very interesting perspective. I always though of Liverpool as a mixture of cultures from the Northern European region. I guess, "scouse" came from the Northern European word for "meat stew".

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Ya when I saw that guy who shouted obscenities at Rory, I thought to myself, no big deal we see it just about every week at the tour events in the US. It was late, and the guy drank too much. It was great to see security jump all over him right away.

I just don't understand the hate for Liverpool though.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5*Β 

3WD: Β Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons: Β Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2 Β 52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

• Administrator
He has pretty much done that every major tourney lately.

People are gonna lose faith he can actually compete still.

Uhm, no:

That's six top-10s (five top 4s) out of 15 events (or 40% and 33% respectively).

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Ya when I saw that guy who shouted obscenities at Rory, I thought to myself, no big deal we see it just about every week at the tour events in the US. It was late, and the guy drank too much. It was great to see security jump all over him right away. I just don't understand the hate for Liverpool though.

For a moment I thought it was " birdman" like at t us open at Olympia. poor Webb Simpson

It's so easy to fire a 90 on the local muni and then logon to a PC and rip Tiger and others.. I absolutely enjoy reading this stuff and getting a good laugh. Anyone who has played real tournament golf knows how difficult it is. It was a great tournament and there is only one winner every week. Enjoy!

It's so easy to fire a 90 on the local muni and then logon to a PC and rip Tiger and others.. I absolutely enjoy reading this stuff and getting a good laugh. Anyone who has played real tournament golf knows how difficult it is. It was a great tournament and there is only one winner every week. Enjoy!

There is no relationship between what someone shoots on their muni course and their opinion about Tiger or any other pro golfer!

:adams:Β / :tmade:Β / :edel:Β / :aimpoint:Β / :ecco:Β / :bushnell:Β /Β :gamegolf:Β /Β 

Eyad

FWIW, they pointed out near the end of Sunday's coverage that by virtue of his T5, T2, and T2 finishes in the majors so far this year, Rickie Fowler leads the aggregate major scoring by a pretty impressive margin. Rickie Fowler 279 286 273 838 -18 Rory McIlroy 286 288 271 845 -11 Adam Scott 282 289 276 847 -9 Jim Furyk 283 289 275 847 -9 Jordan Spieth 284 283 286 853 -3 Jimmy Walker 282 288 284 854 -2 Justin Rose 283 289 283 855 -1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3Β |Β 15ΒΊ 3-Wood: Ping G410 |Β 17ΒΊ 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 |Β 19ΒΊ 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo |Β 54ΒΊ SW, 60ΒΊ LW: Titleist Vokey SM8Β |Β Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

FWIW, they pointed out near the end of Sunday's coverage that by virtue of his T5, T2, and T2 finishes in the majors so far this year, Rickie Fowler leads the aggregate major scoring by a pretty impressive margin.

Rickie Fowler 279 286 273 838 -18

Rory McIlroy 286 288 271 845 -11

Adam Scott 282 289 276 847 -9

Jim Furyk 283 289 275 847 -9

Jordan Spieth 284 283 286 853 -3

Jimmy Walker 282 288 284 854 -2

Justin Rose 283 289 283 855 -1

I really hope Rickie wins a major soon. In fact, I'll be rooting for him the most at Valhalla. It's good for golf, kids love that dude. Hell my wife bought my 9 month old a Puma outfit because of Fowler.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

But the needle for television does...

People really have to move on. Tiger is a complete non-factor in Major Championships. Β It's been 6 years people, and he's not getting any younger. Β Blast me all you want, but I seriously think that anyone that believes he has ANY chance of breaking Jack's record at this point, doesn't have a clue what's happening in professional golf. Β It's never going to happen. 5 years ago I would have bet my house that he would break the record, but no way now. Move along.

People really have to move on. Tiger is a complete non-factor in Major Championships. Β It's been 6 years people, and he's not getting any younger. Β Blast me all you want, but I seriously think that anyone that believes he has ANY chance of breaking Jack's record at this point, doesn't have a clue what's happening in professional golf. Β It's never going to happen. 5 years ago I would have bet my house that he would break the record, but no way now. Move along.

Lol.

Riley

Note:Β This thread is 3573 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!