IGNORED

Had a big WTF moment on the course today

whatwoodtigerdo
Note: This thread is 3588 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ummmm, think I got in the middle of some personal stuff. Sorry I'm new and I don't know nuttin !

Welcome to the site just the same. You didn't wander into the middle of personal stuff: everyone's welcome (and encouraged) to post here. There's an odd reference to another thread from a few weeks ago going on, but don't worry about it. :-)

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

And you would be Wrong. Also, I'd like to point out that you might want to brush up on your spelling, i.e. Welcome has an E at the end, not an R...;-)

Actually it would be a "e" ... In the context of which it was used there would no capitalization ...

• Upvote 1

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

A group tried to wave you up and youre on here acting like a jerk about it-Go ahead and tell me how I read that wrong?

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Actually it would be a "e" ... In the context of which it was used there would no capitalization ...

I made Capital letters for that...Stand Out thing, you know, like to highlight them... ;-)

I made Capital letters for that...Stand Out thing, you know, like to highlight them...;-)

Just trying to add some levity ... :-D (That and typing on this damn iPad, it's a miracle I get anything correct ... So I ignore most errors) Back to the thread ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

A group tried to wave you up and youre on here acting like a jerk about it-Go ahead and tell me how I read that wrong?

They weren't letting me play through. You guys are seriously telling me this is a common occurrence.

James

Yeah because the scenarios are so closely related. What a feeble attempt by you to keep whining about that.

You blaming others is the common denominator that everyone around here sees but you seem to think going on attack mode dismisses pretty clear evidence. You sir are the real whiner.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

You blaming others is the common denominator that everyone around here sees but you seem to think going on attack mode dismisses pretty clear evidence. You sir are the real whiner.

I hope you didn't spend long on that response because it was pretty lame. Me stopping at the turn is blaming who for what. Go on that other thread if you want to keep whining about it.

James

They weren't letting me play through. You guys are seriously telling me this is a common occurrence.

Everybody here is very aware that they were not letting you play through.  They were just "Waving you up."  That is a very common occurence, as Erik as said multiple times, on par 3's to try and help speed up play.  Especially longer par 3's.  The group marks their balls, steps aside for 60 seconds and let's the group behind whack their tee shots into oblivion, then while those guys are all walking/riding up, first group putts out.

I admit I've never heard of it happening on a par 5, but I think it's actually a great idea.  It's the same concept.

They were being courteous, is all.  Of you, and everyone behind you.

I hope you didn't spend long on that response because it was pretty lame. Me stopping at the turn is blaming who for what. Go on that other thread if you want to keep whining about it.

Clearly not as lame as someone who can't tell when they are being waved up and needs to start another stupid thread.

• Upvote 1

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Everybody here is very aware that they were not letting you play through.  They were just "Waving you up."  That is a very common occurence, as Erik as said multiple times, on par 3's to try and help speed up play.  Especially longer par 3's.  The group marks their balls, steps aside for 60 seconds and let's the group behind whack their tee shots into oblivion, then while those guys are all walking/riding up, first group putts out.

I admit I've never heard of it happening on a par 5, but I think it's actually a great idea.  It's the same concept.

They were being courteous, is all.  Of you, and everyone behind you.

There is one hole specifically here that is a par 3 that there is a sign that specifically states that you are to let group behind play on when you reach the green. However, I'm not sure what he is describing is that scenario. I don't think they were doing this for speed of play, it was just that they were curious to see how good the person was that hit the shot they saw.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

As I said before I've never had somebody wave me up like that but the more I think about it the better I like it (as the person hitting the shot). I wouldn't feel like 7 people were all standing there waiting for me to hit a shot and wouldn't feel nearly as badly about it if I blew the shot after being waved up as I would if I blew it after all of that waiting. There have been several situations just like that where I just went ahead and laid up myself to keep everything going, when I really would rather have gone for the green. The only drawback to it that I can see is if there was some sort of mis-communication and somebody thought they wanted them to hit the shot and they actually didn't and weren't expecting it.

Among better players, yes. Allowing someone to hit a 2d shot on a par-5 lets the group behind them tee off and keeps things moving.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Among better players, yes. Allowing someone to hit a 2d shot on a par-5 lets the group behind them tee off and keeps things moving.

Yeah, this is something that is not at all common ... but should be.  It just takes a little awareness.

• Administrator

So, @whatwoodtigerdo , are you going to accept that you may have gotten this one wrong, or will this thread continue like the other?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

More times than not, I have seen poor shots hit when the group in front waves the faster golfer (compared to them) through. I think what happens is the golfer being waved through, gets out of their rhythm, and/or loses focus. The golfer tends to get in a hurry, and plays faster than normal. Golfers who get into too big of a hurry, hit poor shots. The golfers who are waving those behind them through will not speed up, and they shouldn't have to. This would change their own pace of play, which would poorly effect their own rhythm. Sometimes they wave the faster golfer through because they know that golfer might hit a poor shot. Myself, I will not play through even when asked, unless the golfers in front of me get completely out of my way, and I mean completely out of my way. I will never be comfortable hitting a shot with other golfers standing near my intentional landing area.  Yes, this slows my own rhythm, pace of play down, but I have a very good pre-shot routine which nullifies any slow downs I might encounter when golfing. I remember once while playing up in Mesquite Nevada, (Falcon Ridge)  four of the locals I was following waited on their next tee box for me, and asked me to play through. They were in two carts, and I was walking. I did play through, and hit a decent driver. Once at my ball preparing for my second shot, balls start landing near me from the guys who just let me play through. So, I just wheeled my trolley off to the side, and waited for them. I told them to go a head and play through, since I did not like balls being dropped on me. All four them hit poor, second shots. The rest of my round went fine. Not so sure about theirs.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 3588 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!