IGNORED

Concealed Carry on The Course

EZPZ
Note: This thread is 3573 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't have any opinion on the guns on courses thing, but the

Are you serious? I'll have room for another club in my bag soon, but it won't be a gun, I guess me coming from the uk means we live in different worlds! Carrying a gun anywhere seems absurd to me, but especially on a golf course! Hey , I'm not judging, I can imagine this might even be common practise in the US?

reminds me of the time we were entertaining some clients from the UK down in Texas.  One of them got off the plane ready to dodge bullets. We took them to some western themed steakhouse where the walls were covered with giant TVs showing westerns, mostly shootouts. I told him that they were the security cameras in the parking lot.

We did take them shooting though, and they loved it.

Dallas guy here too. Cedar Crest, where the '27 PGA was held (Walter Hagan won it) has had a history of armed robberies on the course although not in many years as I recall. Have had a CC license in the past, don't now, but never brought a gun onto the course; always had one in my truck, however. No reason for the most part, to fear the guy with the license, record is clean and he/she has had an 8-hour class in weapons handling, target practice, etc. Generally that individual has also spent his life around guns, as I have, and gun safety is paramount in their minds. I fear the non-licensee with a gun.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just a heads up, guys, we've had this discussion before on the site, and the thread eventually got locked. But that was in 2008. Social experiment to see if society has grown in the past six years? :-D

Constantine

Just a heads up, guys, we've had this discussion before on the site, and the thread eventually got locked. But that was in 2008. Social experiment to see if society has grown in the past six years?

There was another much more recently, though a bit more general in nature.  They tend to end poorly.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

There was another much more recently, though a bit more general in nature.  They tend to end poorly..... [CONTENTEMBED=/t/74198/do-you-have-concealed-carry-permit layout=block] [/CONTENTEMBED]

Sounds fun, lookin fwd to the Cali folks waking up. ;)

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Dallas guy here too. Cedar Crest, where the '27 PGA was held (Walter Hagan won it) has had a history of armed robberies on the course although not in many years as I recall.

Have had a CC license in the past, don't now, but never brought a gun onto the course; always had one in my truck, however.

No reason for the most part, to fear the guy with the license, record is clean and he/she has had an 8-hour class in weapons handling, target practice, etc. Generally that individual has also spent his life around guns, as I have, and gun safety is paramount in their minds. I fear the non-licensee with a gun.

Played Cedar Crest several times about 5 years ago ... never thought about crime although the course is not in a good place -- if I remember, just south of downtown, some residential, some heavy commercial... if the other guys have guns, doubt it would do any good to bring it out ... both sides having a bad ending. Leave the credit cards and license in the car, and bring enough cash to throw at them... or have a very fast cart....

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I don't carry myself. As I see it, responsible people carrying guns seems like a good thing to me. Idiots and psychopaths carrying guns is a bad thing.The problem is that only the law-abiding actually follow gun laws. The criminals will always have guns.

If I thought I might need a gun to go somewhere, particularly for recreation, I simply wouldn't go.

If I thought I might need a gun to go somewhere, particularly for recreation, I simply wouldn't go.

Can I borrow your crystal ball when you finish with it? Mine's in the shop. ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Can I borrow your crystal ball when you finish with it? Mine's in the shop.

Alright guy. I get your point. There is always chance you might catch something.

My point is that I know my area. We have places where you don't go after dark. I don't go there. Besides, at this point, I'm not one of those responsible people I want to have the guns. If my stomping grounds get to the point where I think I need to carry a gun on a daily basis, I'd have to consider moving.

Given the spacing on the course and infrequent interaction with those not somewhat close a gun on a golf course seems unnecessary. For me falls into the acceptable risk category. If I carry it isn't to fend off club wielding drunks it's to possibly defend against others with guns. The likelyhood of encountering that type of violence is more likely just about anywhere but a golf course.

Dave :-)

Are you serious? I'll have room for another club in my bag soon, but it won't be a gun, I guess me coming from the uk means we live in different worlds! Carrying a gun anywhere seems absurd to me, but especially on a golf course! Hey , I'm not judging, I can imagine this might even be common practise in the US?

No, you aren't any different.  I know of nobody who carries a concealed weapon, on course or off.  It's one of the more ridiculous recent changes to the modern US.  The average person has no business carrying a concealed weapon, and this opinion is from a conservative proponent of a strong military and decisive law enforcement.  The typical citizen is incapable of making proper split-second decisions on whether or not deadly force is indicated - that can even be a difficult decision for a well trained policeman.  I have no issue with ownership, but if you must carry, strap that hogleg on your thigh and wear it wear it proudly where everyone can see it.  It was good enough John Wayne and Clint Eastwood - should be good enough for us.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

It's a crazy world my friend! The bad thing about carrying a gun is that one day he might have to use it!!

No, the bad thing is having a need for a firearm for self defence when you don't have one! Having grown up with firearms as well as spending a sizeable part of my life in the military I am comfortable around firearms. I'm not concerned about law abiding armed citizens. I am however far more concerned about those who believe it's their right to dispossess you of your property OR your life. Mailman

Mailman

No, the bad thing is having a need for a firearm for self defence when you don't have one!

Having grown up with firearms as well as spending a sizeable part of my life in the military I am comfortable around firearms.

I'm not concerned about law abiding armed citizens. I am however far more concerned about those who believe it's their right to dispossess you of your property OR your life.

Mailman

As if you have a concern with that on a golf course in the UK?

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

You call a "Beretta Jetfire .25 Auto" a weapon? :) More power to you. I feel safest around ex- military and people with CC. Don't have mine yet, but plan to. I'll slip it in the bag. It's harmless until needed.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

As if you have a concern with that on a golf course in the UK?

Lee Rigby probably thought it was safe to cross the road as well. Mailman

Mailman

The most dangerous thing I've seen a golf course where I live these days (southern US) was a water moccasin.

And even he slithered off into the water as I approached where my ball had gone into the hazard.

I still wasn't inclined to go fishing around at the water's edge for a $1 Noodle, though.

I have heard snakes mentioned by some locals as a justification for carrying a firearm when playing golf.

But live and let live... I've heard so many Floridians and Georgians tell me that water moccasins are the very aggressive snakes that turn around and come after you. Knock on wood, I've seen a few, and have never yet had such an experience. Mind you, I've always made sure to never get too close...

Note: This thread is 3573 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!