IGNORED

The TST Member Tournament Play Thread

David in FL

13 minutes ago, klineka said:

I dont know how its formatted, but to minimize the sandbagging, it would make sense to me that for each hole you would just take your lowest score over the 2 days and make your 18 hole total? Or is that totally wrong @jsgolfer?

You are correct.

They do however, give a prize for the most improved, so I guess you could sandbag the first day and then try to shoot lights out, but not sure that would pan out very often.

26 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Does this format lead to a lot of sandbagging?  

Not really

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Definitely didn't have my A-Game this weekend.  Short game was good, saved my bacon on several holes.

Saturday in the great weather, just couldn't get going.  Bogeyed the first 5 holes and then played 4 over the rest of the way.  For a smooth 41-39-80 (took double bogey on 17th hole after not being able to find my ball on my drive.  First time ever losing a ball on the 17th hole in almost 5 years of playing Springfield.)

Second day was try and beat your score on each hole, weather was crappy and windy.  I  parred 4 of the first 5 I bogeyed the day before and then parred the hole I doubled the day before, but just never hit anything close.  Didn't make one birdie all weekend.  Ended up with a best ball 74 (68 Net). 

67 was low gross, 61 was low net.  72 was in the money gross and 66 was in the money net.  Bogeyed our Par 5, 15th hole both days.    Ugh

• Upvote 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

5 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Fortunately, you had your A+ game last October.

I had great partners

-Jerry

Played out couples member guest with @DaveP043 and his lovely wife Mary Anne.  I played OK, Dave, Mary Anne and Donna carried us, and we came in a respectable 2nd with a best 2 ball net of 130 (-12), with Dave and i being the lowest HC’s.  But lots of fun, good food, good beer (Heart & Soul from Crooked Run Brewery) and good company.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

-Jerry

10 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

Played out couples member guest with @DaveP043 and his lovely wife Mary Anne.  I played OK, Dave, Mary Anne and Donna carried us, and we came in a respectable 2nd with a best 2 ball net of 130 (-12), with Dave and i being the lowest HC’s.  But lots of fun, good food, good beer (Heart & Soul from Crooked Run Brewery) and good company.  

We had a great day together, good weather, good friends, and a challenging golf course.  Not to mention margaritas afterward for Cinco de Mayo :beer:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Played our B-Team match against @DaveP043, Stoneleigh G&CC team. Although he didn’t get to play.

Shot 40-37-77, rained like crazy for 7 holes on the front 9, luckily it stopped on 9.  Unfortunately for Dave, we beat them 61-47.  Me and my partner won +2, but our groups at home won by 11.  So now we are 1-1.  Great time though, the Stoneleigh guys were great.

Edited by jsgolfer

-Jerry

74 today in US Open qualifying. Course played at 7350yds, 10-20mph winds through 15 holes and the last 3 holes must’ve been 20-30 as my ball was oscillating quite a bit on the greens. On 16, it started pouring in one of those 1min rain storms and it completely threw me off. Ended up with a double. Missed the cut by 2 strokes, ugh! Ah well, next time! I’ll post more details in myswing thread later. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

8 hours ago, phillyk said:

74 today in US Open qualifying. Course played at 7350yds, 10-20mph winds through 15 holes and the last 3 holes must’ve been 20-30 as my ball was oscillating quite a bit on the greens. On 16, it started pouring in one of those 1min rain storms and it completely threw me off. Ended up with a double. Missed the cut by 2 strokes, ugh! Ah well, next time! I’ll post more details in myswing thread later. 

So close! Great score considering the conditions! Well done.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

10 hours ago, phillyk said:

Nice round in tough conditions under a lot of pressure!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I have a Golfweek tournament on Saturday, I tee off at 10:54am CST. Live scoring will be available but they haven't sent out the email explaining how it works yet so I'm unsure of how to access it. I've never had a tournament before. I've played in a league but it wasn't anything serious and I usually got paired up with a bunch of guys who were the type to just show up on the tee box 2 minutes before the round and tee off. This will be different. I'm hoping to shoot 85 or better.

I have 4 tournaments coming up in the next 4 weeks:

1. Stableford tournament on Sunday. This is sort of going to be a warm up for me. Hoping to play well, but it's going to be an indication of what I need to work on leading to the other events, which matter more to me.
  2. First round of match play on the 25th. Unfortunately, I drew the 0.9 handicap in the first round, and it's scratch. I want to put up a really good showing in this. I want to make him sweat to beat me. I'm going to need to make a lot of pars.
  3. Our club's open tournament on the 2nd. I'm the defending net champ. I think I've been in the money every time I've played this event, and I want that to continue.
  4. Our club's first major of the season on the 9th. I want to win one gross event this year, and I think this event could be a good one to do it in. My game should be in mid-season tournament shape by then, and I think I can legitimately aim for the mid 70s, low 70s with a good round.

Really pumped for the next month! I've got a lot of work to put in, but I can handle it.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Our Member-Member Tournament starts this Saturday.  5 rounds of match play and then shoot-out for flight winners, getting ready for the two Member-Guests I'll be playing in.

-Jerry

4 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

Our Member-Member Tournament starts this Saturday.  5 rounds of match play and then shoot-out for flight winners, getting ready for the two Member-Guests I'll be playing in.

We should change the title of this thread to be "The @jsgolfer Tournament Play thread." ;-)

Good luck my friend.

• Like 1

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

2 hours ago, coachjimsc said:

We should change the title of this thread to be "The @jsgolfer Tournament Play thread." ;-)

Good luck my friend.

:beer:

-Jerry

Today was my golfweek tournament. I started of really well and was 1 over through 6, doubled 7 and ended up bogeying 9 to finish 4 over. I was leading my flight by 3 strokes and was in 3rd place in the flight above me. 

There was a backup on the tee box at 10 so I pulled out my phone and checked the live leaderboard and saw that I was ahead by 3. 

Long story short, I shouldn’t have checked. I got ridiculously nervous triple bogeyed the first hole on the back 9, triple bogeyed the 215 par 3 over water, and triple bogeyed the next par 5, and so on. I had 1 par on the back 9 and ended up shooting 19 over on the to finish at 23 over in 18th place.

The takeaway, however, was that I can definitely win a tournament. I was on fire through 9, and choked on the back. It was a mixture of hunger, fatigue and having to use the bathroom. Then we fell behind pace on a hole where one of my playing partners lost 3 balls off the tee, and had to speed up play. After that I was mentally done with the day and just wanted to get out of there. After 14 I told myself I shouldn’t give up, I had a par on the next par 3 and then pulled my next tee shot right into the hazelard on the left and that was the kicker, I just mentally checked out. 

• 3 weeks later...

I played in an Elite Sports Amateur Golf Tournament this past Saturday.

Shot a No Sixes even par 72. 3 birdies and 3 bogies. Came in first place in the Senior Flight. Hit 13/18 GIR, 12/14 FW and 3/5 scrambling.

I believe this is my first no sixes round since the challenge began. The best round of the year for me so far. 

The course and greens were in pretty good shape. Other than the long grass and soggy fairways. We did play LCP.

20180602_144058a.jpg.a42f36fca6eda37918037ecc4173fb1d.jpg

• Like 2

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

• Administrator
On 6/4/2018 at 4:18 PM, coachjimsc said:

I believe this is my first no sixes round since the challenge began. The best round of the year for me so far.

Post it in the Claim your Achievements topic! Congrats!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets