IGNORED

The TST Member Tournament Play Thread

13 minutes ago, klineka said:

I dont know how its formatted, but to minimize the sandbagging, it would make sense to me that for each hole you would just take your lowest score over the 2 days and make your 18 hole total? Or is that totally wrong @jsgolfer?

You are correct.

They do however, give a prize for the most improved, so I guess you could sandbag the first day and then try to shoot lights out, but not sure that would pan out very often.

26 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Does this format lead to a lot of sandbagging?  

Not really

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just won my first tournament ever! It was called The Players Tournament and was with the Central Ohio Golf Club. Shot a gross 78, net 68 (-4) to win by 3 shots.  Putter was hot today, only 2

First tournament of the year today - SCGA Mid-Am qualifier. I have improved a bit (a small bit) since last year, but I'm still not expecting a lot out of these because I recognize I'm still one o

Played in a member-guest with my father-in-law yesterday.  Didn't really expect much since I have never played all that well at his course and his game seems to be on a perpetual downward slide.  But

Posted Images

Definitely didn't have my A-Game this weekend.  Short game was good, saved my bacon on several holes.

Saturday in the great weather, just couldn't get going.  Bogeyed the first 5 holes and then played 4 over the rest of the way.  For a smooth 41-39-80 (took double bogey on 17th hole after not being able to find my ball on my drive.  First time ever losing a ball on the 17th hole in almost 5 years of playing Springfield.)

Second day was try and beat your score on each hole, weather was crappy and windy.  I  parred 4 of the first 5 I bogeyed the day before and then parred the hole I doubled the day before, but just never hit anything close.  Didn't make one birdie all weekend.  Ended up with a best ball 74 (68 Net). 

67 was low gross, 61 was low net.  72 was in the money gross and 66 was in the money net.  Bogeyed our Par 5, 15th hole both days.    Ugh

• Upvote 1

Played out couples member guest with @DaveP043 and his lovely wife Mary Anne.  I played OK, Dave, Mary Anne and Donna carried us, and we came in a respectable 2nd with a best 2 ball net of 130 (-12), with Dave and i being the lowest HC’s.  But lots of fun, good food, good beer (Heart & Soul from Crooked Run Brewery) and good company.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

Played out couples member guest with @DaveP043 and his lovely wife Mary Anne.  I played OK, Dave, Mary Anne and Donna carried us, and we came in a respectable 2nd with a best 2 ball net of 130 (-12), with Dave and i being the lowest HC’s.  But lots of fun, good food, good beer (Heart & Soul from Crooked Run Brewery) and good company.  

We had a great day together, good weather, good friends, and a challenging golf course.  Not to mention margaritas afterward for Cinco de Mayo :beer:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Played our B-Team match against @DaveP043, Stoneleigh G&CC team. Although he didn’t get to play.

Shot 40-37-77, rained like crazy for 7 holes on the front 9, luckily it stopped on 9.  Unfortunately for Dave, we beat them 61-47.  Me and my partner won +2, but our groups at home won by 11.  So now we are 1-1.  Great time though, the Stoneleigh guys were great.

Edited by jsgolfer

74 today in US Open qualifying. Course played at 7350yds, 10-20mph winds through 15 holes and the last 3 holes must’ve been 20-30 as my ball was oscillating quite a bit on the greens. On 16, it started pouring in one of those 1min rain storms and it completely threw me off. Ended up with a double. Missed the cut by 2 strokes, ugh! Ah well, next time! I’ll post more details in myswing thread later. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, phillyk said:

74 today in US Open qualifying. Course played at 7350yds, 10-20mph winds through 15 holes and the last 3 holes must’ve been 20-30 as my ball was oscillating quite a bit on the greens. On 16, it started pouring in one of those 1min rain storms and it completely threw me off. Ended up with a double. Missed the cut by 2 strokes, ugh! Ah well, next time! I’ll post more details in myswing thread later. 

So close! Great score considering the conditions! Well done.

10 hours ago, phillyk said:

Nice round in tough conditions under a lot of pressure!

I have a Golfweek tournament on Saturday, I tee off at 10:54am CST. Live scoring will be available but they haven't sent out the email explaining how it works yet so I'm unsure of how to access it. I've never had a tournament before. I've played in a league but it wasn't anything serious and I usually got paired up with a bunch of guys who were the type to just show up on the tee box 2 minutes before the round and tee off. This will be different. I'm hoping to shoot 85 or better.

I have 4 tournaments coming up in the next 4 weeks:

1. Stableford tournament on Sunday. This is sort of going to be a warm up for me. Hoping to play well, but it's going to be an indication of what I need to work on leading to the other events, which matter more to me.
  2. First round of match play on the 25th. Unfortunately, I drew the 0.9 handicap in the first round, and it's scratch. I want to put up a really good showing in this. I want to make him sweat to beat me. I'm going to need to make a lot of pars.
  3. Our club's open tournament on the 2nd. I'm the defending net champ. I think I've been in the money every time I've played this event, and I want that to continue.
  4. Our club's first major of the season on the 9th. I want to win one gross event this year, and I think this event could be a good one to do it in. My game should be in mid-season tournament shape by then, and I think I can legitimately aim for the mid 70s, low 70s with a good round.

Really pumped for the next month! I've got a lot of work to put in, but I can handle it.

Our Member-Member Tournament starts this Saturday.  5 rounds of match play and then shoot-out for flight winners, getting ready for the two Member-Guests I'll be playing in.

4 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

Our Member-Member Tournament starts this Saturday.  5 rounds of match play and then shoot-out for flight winners, getting ready for the two Member-Guests I'll be playing in.

We should change the title of this thread to be "The @jsgolfer Tournament Play thread." ;-)

Good luck my friend.

• Like 1

Today was my golfweek tournament. I started of really well and was 1 over through 6, doubled 7 and ended up bogeying 9 to finish 4 over. I was leading my flight by 3 strokes and was in 3rd place in the flight above me. 

There was a backup on the tee box at 10 so I pulled out my phone and checked the live leaderboard and saw that I was ahead by 3. 

Long story short, I shouldn’t have checked. I got ridiculously nervous triple bogeyed the first hole on the back 9, triple bogeyed the 215 par 3 over water, and triple bogeyed the next par 5, and so on. I had 1 par on the back 9 and ended up shooting 19 over on the to finish at 23 over in 18th place.

The takeaway, however, was that I can definitely win a tournament. I was on fire through 9, and choked on the back. It was a mixture of hunger, fatigue and having to use the bathroom. Then we fell behind pace on a hole where one of my playing partners lost 3 balls off the tee, and had to speed up play. After that I was mentally done with the day and just wanted to get out of there. After 14 I told myself I shouldn’t give up, I had a par on the next par 3 and then pulled my next tee shot right into the hazelard on the left and that was the kicker, I just mentally checked out. 

• 3 weeks later...

I played in an Elite Sports Amateur Golf Tournament this past Saturday.

Shot a No Sixes even par 72. 3 birdies and 3 bogies. Came in first place in the Senior Flight. Hit 13/18 GIR, 12/14 FW and 3/5 scrambling.

I believe this is my first no sixes round since the challenge began. The best round of the year for me so far. 

The course and greens were in pretty good shape. Other than the long grass and soggy fairways. We did play LCP.

20180602_144058a.jpg.a42f36fca6eda37918037ecc4173fb1d.jpg

• Like 2

• Administrator
On 6/4/2018 at 4:18 PM, coachjimsc said:

I believe this is my first no sixes round since the challenge began. The best round of the year for me so far.

Post it in the Claim your Achievements topic! Congrats!

• iacas changed the title to The TST Member Tournament Play Thread