IGNORED

Complete TOOLS at the Range.

Paiste
Note: This thread is 3173 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was at the range today working hard on my swing like I normally do about 4 to 5 times a week. My swing is progressing very nicely as I'm incorporating a better shoulder turn in my backswing, better posture at address, staying slow and low during the backswing and shifting my weight more efficiently in the transition. I'm striking the ball much crisper and more consistently then ever or so I thought (note sarcasm). Thanks to mvmac and iacas pointing out that I need a better shoulder turn and to flare my feet out at address, my ball striking is much more consistent.

There was this guy hitting balls about 2 tee boxes down from me and he kept watching me swing. I didn't think anything of it because I've been getting a lot of compliments lately since I started incorporating those tips from mvmac and iacas (not patting myself on the nack). Well, he walks over to me and asks' what irons I'm using so I show him. Then, he proceeds to ask me if he could give me a couple of tips. Now, I don't mind a small tip here and there because sometimes it can really help. Well, this guy goes off. He says that my wrist hinge is too early, (I hinge at about 6" to 8" after initial take away) causing me to lose loads of power and distance, my set-up is all wrong, my posture is wrong, my grip is wrong (when I know my grip is good, I use the Vardon grip), I have a reverse pivot (which I've NEVER had in my life), that my left knee shouldn't bend slightly towards the ball during the backswing because it's a "Death Move", that I should roll my left foot onto the instep and push my left knee into my right knee, that I should have a one piece take away all the way to the top of my back swing then hinge my wrists, that putting my weight onto the balls of my feet is wrong, it should be on my heels; do you get the picture? I was blown away by this guy. All the while, I'm hitting some solid crisp shots. He told me that I need a complete transformation and it's going to take me hitting 2000 balls to get better.

So I tell him that my swing is fine, maybe a minor adjustment here and there but it's getting solid. He disagrees and asks if I'm going to hit more balls. I replied, "Of course" and his response is, "Ok, I'll stick around and teach you how to properly swing a club." That's when I burst out laughing and asked him, "Are you a pro or a certified instructor?" Of course his response was, "No." That's when I told him to  leave me alone and to go back to his bucket. I said, "I don't mind a helpful tip once and a while but what you're doing is offensive. You can see me hitting solid shots so what would prompt you to come over here and say this to me?" He had no response and just turned around and left. I couldn't believe that someone would actually have the nerve to do something like that. I was almost speechless afterwards.

My swing looks noticeably better than what's posted on the forum and I 've put a s**t load of work into it. This guy almost had me doubting myself and rethinking everything that I've learned and worked so hard to engrain. Guys like this are a virus and should be ignored at all costs!

Has anyone else had an experience with a "Know-it-all" at the range who thought that their golf swing was the only golf swing?

I was at the range today working hard on my swing like I normally do about 4 to 5 times a week. My swing is progressing very nicely as I'm incorporating a better shoulder turn in my backswing, better posture at address, staying slow and low during the backswing and shifting my weight more efficiently in the transition. I'm striking the ball much crisper and more consistently then ever or so I thought (note sarcasm). Thanks to mvmac and iacas pointing out that I need a better shoulder turn and to flare my feet out at address, my ball striking is much more consistent.

There was this guy hitting balls about 2 tee boxes down from me and he kept watching me swing. I didn't think anything of it because I've been getting a lot of compliments lately since I started incorporating those tips from mvmac and iacas (not patting myself on the nack). Well, he walks over to me and asks' what irons I'm using so I show him. Then, he proceeds to ask me if he could give me a couple of tips. Now, I don't mind a small tip here and there because sometimes it can really help. Well, this guy goes off. He says that my wrist hinge is too early, (I hinge at about 6" to 8" after initial take away) causing me to lose loads of power and distance, my set-up is all wrong, my posture is wrong, my grip is wrong (when I know my grip is good, I use the Vardon grip), I have a reverse pivot (which I've NEVER had in my life), that my left knee shouldn't bend slightly towards the ball during the backswing because it's a "Death Move", that I should roll my left foot onto the instep and push my left knee into my right knee, that I should have a one piece take away all the way to the top of my back swing then hinge my wrists, that putting my weight onto the balls of my feet is wrong, it should be on my heels; do you get the picture? I was blown away by this guy. All the while, I'm hitting some solid crisp shots. He told me that I need a complete transformation and it's going to take me hitting 2000 balls to get better.

So I tell him that my swing is fine, maybe a minor adjustment here and there but it's getting solid. He disagrees and asks if I'm going to hit more balls. I replied, "Of course" and his response is, "Ok, I'll stick around and teach you how to properly swing a club." That's when I burst out laughing and asked him, "Are you a pro or a certified instructor?" Of course his response was, "No." That's when I told him to  leave me alone and to go back to his bucket. I said, "I don't mind a helpful tip once and a while but what you're doing is offensive. You can see me hitting solid shots so what would prompt you to come over here and say this to me?" He had no response and just turned around and left. I couldn't believe that someone would actually have the nerve to do something like that. I was almost speechless afterwards.

My swing looks noticeably better than what's posted on the forum and I 've put a s**t load of work into it. This guy almost had me doubting myself and rethinking everything that I've learned and worked so hard to engrain. Guys like this are a virus and should be ignored at all costs!

Has anyone else had an experience with a "Know-it-all" at the range who thought that their golf swing was the only golf swing?

Sort of.  There was a guy there a couple of weeks ago who was a pro of some kind because he told me that he needed "these 5 or so mats for a class" for kids that was about to start.  Then he saw that I only had a small bag and figured I'd be done in time so he said go ahead.  During the bag he just came over and told me something about having a lighter grip being the key to great shots and then he went back about his business.

I am like you, in that I am just going to politely let them tell me whatever they want to tell me (as long as they're quick about it) and then I'll nod and smile and go back to what I was doing.  The kicker is that your guy rudely decided to just butt in and give you more unsolicited advice.  Seems to me like you handled just about as good as you could.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That was you? I was just trying to help! Ha ha ha Just kidding,. Seriously, that's just someone who needs to build up his own ego by "helping" others. Nothing to do with your swing or technique. It just makes him feel better to "teach" those who he thinks doesn't know as much. Good for you that you've worked hard! Don't be suckered in. Nothing as bad as that, but I've had people tell me things. And you should keep an open mind that someone notices something, but ultimately you own your swing so always take with a grain of salt.

—Adam

At the local range, we have guys like that all over.  Most of them are retired guys that hang out at the range and try to act like they are golf pro's.  There are 2-3 of them that usually set up at different areas of the range, so it's hard to avoid them.  One guy likes to teach only the women, so I usually set up near him because I know he'll leave me alone.  Their tips tend to coincide with whatever was in Golf Digest that month.

I listen to their banter all the time and it's pretty funny how delusional they are about their knowledge and golf swing.   One guy saw me using a SkyPro with my phone and asked me what I was doing, so I explained how it worked and that I was checking for certain positions on my swing.  He went on to tell me how I was wasting my money with high tech gadgets when he could fix my swing in no time.  I tried to be nice, but after a while of him insisting I hit some balls for him I told him he needed to go away and let me finish practicing.

Joe Paradiso

Ive only had 1 guy give me some advice and it was about ball being too far back in my stance when I thought it was in middle.He wasn't meddling because I was shanking ball or hitting them thin and to the right and was clearly aggravated with my swing.I will gladly accept any advice someone gives me since they can see things im doing that I don't.In your case since you were hitting the ball good I cant believe someone would have nerve to tell you all that without you asking.Sounds like a real douche that wanted to destroy your confidence or he was really wanting to help you be better free of charge or looking to give lessons for small sum  haa.

That sounds awful. I've had people offer me advice on the course before, but never on the range. But I usually go off into the farthest end of the range by myself, with my camera. When I get unsolicited advice, I'll usually respond with something cordial and go about my business. Just a simple, "thanks, I'll give that a try," or something like that.
  • Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Yeah, this guy was brutal. I know that there are some areas that need improvement but I know what those areas are. The main thing for me is rushing my downswing. When I concentrate on my tempo I hit the ball nice and solid. I'm not bragging here but I've had people compliment me. In fact, I had a pro approach me on Wednesday and tell me that I had a nice swing. I personally think that when you are working hard you need those compliments once and a while to keep your confidence up. Golf is very humbling. He basically told me not to rush so much when I'm transitioning from back to downswing. When I slowed it down a bit, the change was amazing. The pro was very nice. One small tip, a compliment then he told me to keep at it and minded his own business. I don't mind that. The guy today had some serious balls to pick my swing apart like that when I know that pretty much everything he said contradicts what I've been taught. Anyways, at least I can laugh about it.

He was probably trying to drum up business. At some point he was going to mention further help for money. I would have told him, "How would you like my boot in your eye?"

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I can think of one time in the past 15 years when something like this happened to me.   A course marshal critiqued my swing.   I was first on the course that day playing alone, and was on the 18th tee before 9am.    I was a first year member at the time, so I guess he didn't know me.     I thought it was weird the marshal was waiting up there for me considering there wasn't another golfer within 8 holes behind me.    I am sure nobody was past the 10th hole yet besides me.  I was thinking to myself, why are you here?

Anyway....I thought his presence was strange.  He just sat there and watched me tee off.   I hit a straight push to the left and he informs me ..........."your clubface was open at address". I never responded except to give him a quick 'glance' as I picked up my tee and walked off.     I am guessing he got the inadvertent "evil stink eye" because he quickly apologized.

My clubface is always open at address and I play a consistent draw aside from the rare occurrence when I hit a straight-push.  When he informed me my clubface was open, I felt a powerful urge to poke him in the eye with a stick...LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

You are an 11 handicap, have a plan for improvement, and are practicing 4 to 5 times a week. Sounds like a formula for success.

Ignore this guy and stay the course.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

I've never had nothing that intrusive.  Gotta love people who assume they know your swing and results...   There are some goofy swing on tour that are non-traditional.  In my personal opinion, I could care less how soon you hinge your wrist on the take away or if you take the club away inside or outside...  If you get to where you need to be at the top then hey... what ever works for you.

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

I've had 2 of "those" guys try to give me advice.

1..was a older guy with a wife beater shirt, and Filthy jeans on. He proceeded to tell me my grip was all wrong, and waas the cause of my pulled shots from my 54* wedge...The grip had nada to do with it, t'was my swing path.

2...A regular who visits the range, and from what I can tell, he's about 30 yrs younger than me, and although he can hit the ball a good distance, he's very streaky, and if you saw his swing, I'm sure anyone here who has the slightest bit of the golf swing knowledge could tell he needs  A LOT of work. He proceeds to tell me that my swing path needs to be a steep as possible, he says that's where you get all the power..ala Bubba I guess..??? He also said I needed to have the butt of the club as close to me as possible, Ummm, hello shanks.

I let him go on for about 110 mins. then sat down, he hit the remaining 6 or 7 balls he had, and left. Told a friend who is a 5hc about the ordeal, and he just laughed at his advice.

IMHO, on the range Silence is Golden, unless you ask for help, or advice.

IMHO, on the range Silence is Golden, unless you ask for help, or advice.

LOL...  I agree...    Ever see the playing lessons with Rocco Mediate?   He mentions a situation where his swing coach told him to top about 7-8 shots in a row on purpose... Of course Rocco topped a couple then he went back to hitting normal.  The coach told him no no no...  He needed to top more......     WHY?????   to teach him where the leading edge is at all times....

If you see a guy topping the ball on the range shot after shot...  He's probably not working on that drill, but you never know!! :-D

• Upvote 1

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

LOL...  I agree...    Ever see the playing lessons with Rocco Mediate?   He mentions a situation where his swing coach told him to top about 7-8 shots in a row on purpose... Of course Rocco topped a couple then he went back to hitting normal.  The coach told him no no no...  He needed to top more......     WHY?????   to teach him where the leading edge is at all times....

If you see a guy topping the ball on the range shot after shot...  He's probably not working on that drill, but you never know!!

I saw that show...One of the best playing lessons on the GC.

• Upvote 1

You are an 11 handicap, have a plan for improvement, and are practicing 4 to 5 times a week. Sounds like a formula for success.

Ignore this guy and stay the course.

Thanks. He kept harping on my wrist hinge. I told him that I took lessons from a certified pro during the winter and his advice (with irons) was to have an early wrist hinge because it's easier to then have a nice wide forward release. I find it much easier when I hinge early and I do not lose any power or distance because of it.

It actually made me furious when I left the range and had time to think about it. Who does this tool think he is? I had to reaffirm that an early hinge was ok so I did some research on-line and a ton of instructors and pros use it.

That's what guys like that do, they make you question what you worked hard at. After he left, it took me about 15 to 20 balls to get my swing back to normal. I should of told him "No thanks, I'm not interested" right from the start. He had this arrogant attitude as well.

Even with what he described as the proper grip. He told me to use a weak grip with my left hand (I'm a righty) with my thumb right on center and my right hand open to the right with my fingers wrapping the club and my thumb again right on the center of the grip. I disagreed and stated that I use a neutral grip with my left hand with my thumb slightly off center to the right so that I can see 2 knuckles and with my right hand I have the grip passing through the middle knuckle section of my fingers with my thumb slightly off center to the left; Using the Vardon grip. He said, "No, no, no, ALWAYS interlock." I just laughed it off but at this point he was about to eat a 7 iron.

Thanks. He kept harping on my wrist hinge. I told him that I took lessons from a certified pro during the winter and his advice (with irons) was to have an early wrist hinge because it's easier to then have a nice wide forward release. I find it much easier when I hinge early and I do not lose any power or distance because of it.

Actually... I forget who it was on the Golf Channel (a really good tour pro) but he set his wrist first on the range working on his swing.... first thing he did was set his wrist... He even said he would play like that because he thought it would be more consistent, but he wouldn't be able to take the criticism and looks (not in those words though)

When I learned to play I set my wrist really early...  then just had a shoulder turn for the most part...  Felt really connected and linked in...  I played the whole summer that way until some guy on the range told me it was wrong (ironically, but he was the course pro lol)....    My sequence was to set the wrist early, turn the shoulders and get to a consistent position at the top.

JP

To the OP the guy was an idiot. No instructor is going to point out that many things to you for a reason. Guys like that I would probably just try to tell him what I was actually working on to confuse him and make him walk away. Maybe ask him what the ball flight laws are and laugh when he gets them wrong and tell him to go research somewhere. I had a pro at a range come up to me one time and give me advice on how to fix my push I was hitting. He quickly walked away after I explained I was aiming that way because that's where the markers were and I was on the very left side if them. [quote name="Hammer 4" url="/t/77270/complete-tools-at-the-range#post_1057051"]I've had 2 of "those" guys try to give me advice.  1..was a older guy with a wife beater shirt, and Filthy jeans on. He proceeded to tell me my grip was all wrong, and waas the cause of my pulled shots from my 54* wedge...The grip had nada to do with it, t'was my swing path. 2...A regular who visits the range, and from what I can tell, he's about 30 yrs younger than me, and although he can hit the ball a good distance, he's very streaky, and if you saw his swing, I'm sure anyone here who has the slightest bit of the golf swing knowledge could tell he needs  A LOT of work. He proceeds to tell me that my swing path needs to be a steep as possible, he says that's where you get all the power..ala Bubba I guess..??? He also said I needed to have the butt of the club as close to me as possible, Ummm, hello shanks. I let him go on for about 110 mins. then sat down, he hit the remaining 6 or 7 balls he had, and left. Told a friend who is a 5hc about the ordeal, and he just laughed at his advice. IMHO, on the range Silence is Golden, unless you ask for help, or advice. [/quote] On this I am confused on how number 2 would cause a shank.

James

Note: This thread is 3173 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!