IGNORED

2014 Ryder Cup Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3484 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Going back to what I said yesterday, the only solution is to do away with the Presidents Cup and make it Europe vs. The World. We pick up Scott, Day and Matsuyama...we may have hope.

Hoping Couples gets the Captain's nod in 2 years. Well-respected and does a great job Captaining the Prez Cup. Really hoping it's him vs. Clarke in 2016.

What they should do is create a real world championship. Let the winner of the Ryder Cup play the World in the President's Cup (or a renamed World Cup). The winner of that gets the bye the next year and the other two teams go at it to qualify for the final the following year.

The big problem is, would the US market follow a match between Europe and the World? Even though the players are not paid for these events, it is still all about the money (TV).

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Why can't we seem to pump out more talented players? This is really embarrassing that we are getting spanked every time. I do not want to see Bubba on the team next time he always loses. Seems like the core of our future Ryder Cups will be Speith, Reed, Fowler. Need to build around them.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

What they should do is create a real world championship. Let the winner of the Ryder Cup play the World in the President's Cup (or a renamed World Cup). The winner of that gets the bye the next year and the other two teams go at it to qualify for the final the following year.

The big problem is, would the US market follow a match between Europe and the World? Even though the players are not paid for these events, it is still all about the money (TV).

I'm not sure the US market is going to keep following the Ryder Cup if we keep losing. But the Europe vs. World thing is more of a joke...it'll never happen. We're just in a trend right now where Europe has amazing talent and the US's isn't there yet. We keep searching for the right captain....we're trying young and old to try and figure it out.

If Darren Clarke is the captain in 2016, it should be fun. They love him in Europe just like they love McGinley. That's why I think we need to counter with Couples because he's extremely well-liked and respected.

It would sink to be in the position of Adam Scott and other great players like him who will never be able to play in a Ryder cup. Maybe for the captain's picks they could have done sort of lottery to allow them to pick players from around the world if they wanted. EDIT: On second thought it might work better to have as draft system for the captain's picks over a lottery. Let the losers pick first from a pool of their own players and international players, then the winners can do the same. It could bring in some great talent from outside the US and Europe while still not going to all out Europe vs the world or anything like that.

I'm not sure the US market is going to keep following the Ryder Cup if we keep losing. But the Europe vs. World thing is more of a joke...it'll never happen. We're just in a trend right now where Europe has amazing talent and the US's isn't there yet. We keep searching for the right captain....we're trying young and old to try and figure it out.

If Darren Clarke is the captain in 2016, it should be fun. They love him in Europe just like they love McGinley. That's why I think we need to counter with Couples because he's extremely well-liked and respected.

Freddie would be a good captain . .but more importantly we need some players who can get it done.  I blame the pga tour, in part, for making millionaire celebrities out of guys that can finish in the top 10 but rarely, if ever, win.  Finish 2nd on the PGA tour and you got it made - finish second in the Ryder Cup and you just lose.

We not only need Captain's picks . .but we need Captain's DQ's also.  Like when Bubba makes the team on points next time - the captain should be able to DQ him.

That does seems.... strange, in my opinion. Europe vs USA I can feel something, some rivalry, Europe vs a bunch of players from all around the world; not so much. And how are you guys going to root for your team? 'Come on rest of the world'?

~Jorrit

Quote:

Originally Posted by phan52

Originally Posted by ChrisP

A "trend"? Since 1985, Europe leads 11-4, and have won 6 of the last 7. That's not a trend. That's domination.

Bill M

What they should do is create a real world championship. Let the winner of the Ryder Cup play the World in the President's Cup (or a renamed World Cup). The winner of that gets the bye the next year and the other two teams go at it to qualify for the final the following year. The big problem is, would the US market follow a match between Europe and the World? Even though the players are not paid for these events, it is still all about the money (TV).

Would it matter, given that the rest of the world would tune in?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I see a lot of blaming Watson but I think it's the wrong one. Bubba going 0-3 was bad. Phil played bad by his standards despite bailing on the BMW to prep. The US picks weren't in form but two seem to have been chosen specifically to complete a pair and it didn't work. KB and PM flat out stunk and Webb contrbuted zero, dead weight if anything. Much has been said about the strength of the Euro team but their bottom tier guys outplayed better US players.IMO Tom Watson looked detached. Didn't expect US to win but they definitely could have played better. It's not like they didn't have a chance, the door was open after both morning sessions Fri and Sat.

Dave :-)

or golf could just be in the Olympics....

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Too many "what if's" about the USA team. What if Tiger,  Dustin J,  Jason D or Senedeker were all healthy? A lot of talent not on the team.

Also, the PGA needs to decide just what they expect from a Ryder Cup Captain, and find one.

What hasn't Larry Nelson, Hale Irwin, or even Johnny Miller been considered?

Team USA were out played from day one.

Congrats to the European Team. They deserved the win.

I see a lot of blaming Watson but I think it's the wrong one. Bubba going 0-3 was bad. Phil played bad by his standards despite bailing on the BMW to prep. The US picks weren't in form but two seem to have been chosen specifically to complete a pair and it didn't work. KB and PM flat out stunk and Webb contrbuted zero, dead weight if anything.

Phil was 2-1 and Phil/Keegan were 1-1.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Maybe if the Americans would play more on the European Tour as well, they might have better chances. You will get a better golfer doing that inho. But I understand from a individual point of view that they don't: the purses are less high.

~Jorrit

Maybe if the Americans would play more on the European Tour as well, they might have better chances. You will get a better golfer doing that inho. But I understand from a individual point of view that they don't: the purses are less high.

That would make more sense if the actual European Team played on the European Tour more. Most of them are full time PGA members.

Interesting comment from Phil

"We had a great formula in '08. I don’t know why we strayed. I don’t know why we don’t go back. What Zinger did was great."

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3484 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!