IGNORED

Will Ebola become a big problem in the United States?

MS256
Note: This thread is 3388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Will spreading of Ebola become a big problem in the United States?

• No.
    • Yes.

http://in.mobile.reuters.com/article/idINKBN0IJ2KN20141030?irpc=932 [quote] Individual genetic differences may affect Ebola survival - study Researchers at the University of Washington in Seattle reported their findings on Thursday in the journal Science. They compared conventional lab mice, which typically just die when infected with a mouse version of Ebola, with genetically diverse lab mice that developed a wide range of symptoms in much the same way that people infected with the virus do. Mice used in the study were generated from eight different strains of the animal and were bred to represent human genetic diversity. Symptoms in these genetically diverse mice ranged from mild weight loss to full, hemorrhagic fever, including internal bleeding, swollen spleens and changes in liver color and texture. "We infected these mice with a mouse-adopted strain of Ebola virus," said Angela Rasmussen, a microbiologist at the University of Washington who helped lead the study. "In classical lab mice, this strain of Ebola kills the animals but it doesn't produce hemorrhagic disease," she said. [/quote]

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

http://in.mobile.reuters.com/article/idINKBN0IJ2KN20141030?irpc=932

Good data point. So, I was wrong. There could be potentially a much wider variation than I though. The only thing is that mice are very different than humans.

I wonder how this translates to human response?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On a basis of genetic variation why could it be other? I have heard of but not read fully that science has proven separated genetic strains of human DNA exist that are somehow not African but instead prove crossings in at least one group with neatherthal occured instead, and thats a core difference that should prove the mouse diversity testing valid in human victim observations and that ebola has a limited ability in certain hosts as a result of diversity in the human genome. To me it is curious stuff at a minimum. I think the report said 5 separate human DNA strains were identified. If true, its amazing.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

http://tucson.com/news/local/tucson-pastor-gets-a-m-ebola-check-from-tpd/article_bc644951-b096-5c20-8ff9-13995cfe9da5.html

The officers learned that Petzer had been in Zambia for about 10 days training missionaries, was not sick, and was past the 21-day incubation period for Ebola.

Petzer, a native of Africa who is a naturalized U.S. citizen, said he was told by the officers to call UAMC immediately and report that he was not ill. He said he understands the officers were doing their job, but he was not happy about the ordeal or how it was handled by the hospital.

“I think this is hysteria, and a zero understanding of geography,” said Petzer, explaining that Zambia is in south-central Africa, about 2,500 miles away from the affected areas in West Africa. “I am now in a country that has had Ebola. I traveled from a non-infected country to one (United States) where there are people in quarantine,” Petzer said. “I think this is an issue of public ignorance and not an issue of public health. People hear Africa, and everyone thinks ‘Ebola.’ Most Americans do not have a clue that Africa is a large continent and not a country. People have to stop the hysteria of it all.”

Bill M

“I think this is hysteria, and a zero understanding of geography,” said Petzer, explaining that Zambia is in south-central Africa, about 2,500 miles away from the affected areas in West Africa.“I am now in a country that has had Ebola. I traveled from a non-infected country to one (United States) where there are people in quarantine,” Petzer said. “I think this is an issue of public ignorance and not an issue of public health. People hear Africa, and everyone thinks ‘Ebola.’ Most Americans do not have a clue that Africa is a large continent and not a country. People have to stop the hysteria of it all.”

Surely you don't expect Americans to know Africa is not a country. ;-) http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/05/0502_060502_geography.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post

http://tucson.com/news/local/tucson-pastor-gets-a-m-ebola-check-from-tpd/article_bc644951-b096-5c20-8ff9-13995cfe9da5.html

The officers learned that Petzer had been in Zambia for about 10 days training missionaries, was not sick, and was past the 21-day incubation period for Ebola.

“I think this is hysteria, and a zero understanding of geography,” said Petzer, explaining that Zambia is in south-central Africa, about 2,500 miles away from the affected areas in West Africa. “I am now in a country that has had Ebola. I traveled from a non-infected country to one (United States) where there are people in quarantine,” Petzer said. “I think this is an issue of public ignorance and not an issue of public health. People hear Africa, and everyone thinks ‘Ebola.’ Most Americans do not have a clue that Africa is a large continent and not a country. People have to stop the hysteria of it all.”

Surely you don't expect Americans to know Africa is not a country. ;-) http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/05/0502_060502_geography.html

You are right. I better clarify that my reference to Africa was along the lines of the search for genetic mother Eve, and the testing was thought true enough to publish a genetic trail documentary leading from the peoples of the African continent out all the way to Australia by way of the asian rim.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

Quote:
President Barack Obama is asking Congress for $6.2 billion in emergency funds to confront Ebola at its source in West Africa and to secure the United States against any possible spread.

W

T

F

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

W

T

F

What they left out is:

". . .to secure all the natural resources by impressing the people of Africa that they care about the. . ."

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

W T F .......

Step 1: Just say no

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

W

T

F

The logic is that if you cut out Ebola at its source, then one needn't worry about it spreading elsewhere.

It is a strategy ... just because President O is unpopular and said it, doesn't mean it is not sound strategy.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

The logic is that if you cut out Ebola at its source, then one needn't worry about it spreading elsewhere.

It is a strategy ... just because President O is unpopular and said it, doesn't mean it is not sound strategy.

The problem is the exorbitant amount that he's requesting. Not the validity of the goal.

I've no idea why you think the popularity of the President has any effect on how I feel about the subject.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

The problem is the exorbitant amount that he's requesting. Not the validity of the goal.  I've no idea why you think the popularity of the President has any effect on how I feel about the subject.

Nail on head. They also wanted $6.2B for the border crisis this summer, iirc. What's the significance of that amount? What would it truly be used for? I'd like to see the biz case and hope Congress asks for same.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

The problem is the exorbitant amount that he's requesting. Not the validity of the goal.

I've no idea why you think the popularity of the President has any effect on how I feel about the subject.

Nail on head. They also wanted $6.2B for the border crisis this summer, iirc. What's the significance of that amount? What would it truly be used for? I'd like to see the biz case and hope Congress asks for same.

For 6.2B, I expect them to cure all viral infections. But maybe that's just my cheap way of thinking.

I wonder how much it cost them to do the estimate of 6.2B?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Honest question:  Is that really an exorbitant amount of money?  I have no idea.

I know what it means to a single person, but as far as government programs are concerned, I don't know how it compares.

Honest question:  Is that really an exorbitant amount of money?  I have no idea.

I know what it means to a single person, but as far as government programs are concerned, I don't know how it compares.

That is a lot, yes. I find it a bit interesting that you wouldn't think it is.

It's not a huge amount, but the chances of it being successful are minimal given the living conditions that exist in the Ebola ridden countries (unsanitary conditions, lack of running water and waste removal).  I'd also prefer to see Obama get the UN involved and get every country to contribute to the cost rather than having American tax payers foot the bill on our own.

I would still think it was a pretty big number if we were talking about multiple countries kicking in on it, but it would be less crazy than it coming from only us.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

It's not a huge amount, but the chances of it being successful are minimal given the living conditions that exist in the Ebola ridden countries (unsanitary conditions, lack of running water and waste removal).  I'd also prefer to see Obama get the UN involved and get every country to contribute to the cost rather than having American tax payers foot the bill on our own.

Joe Paradiso

Right, and most Americans are becoming numb to this kind of spending because we started spending several B here and there. It's like popcorn to the politicians, which is why our national debt is in the 20 trillion range.

For 6.2B, I would expect them to fix some of this infrastructure issue.

No other country has the budget to do this sort of thing, and most of the politicians in this country think we do.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

$6.2 billion is objectively a lot of money, of course, but if that's the cost of tamping down Ebola ... I'm not sure what you'd rather have them do. Those private flights and quarantines for healthcare workers people in this thread have been calling for are pricy. Medicine, healthcare, supplies, etc. It adds up when you're dealing with that many patients. We could debate the efficacy of sending aid to the region in the first place, but I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that $6.2 billion is an excessive number. Particularly since details regarding what that money will go to is pretty limited so far. [quote name="Lihu" url="/t/77593/will-ebola-become-a-big-problem-in-the-united-states/510_30#post_1072271"] No other country has the budget to do this sort of thing, and most of the politicians in this country think we do. [/quote] Plenty of countries could contribute $6.2 billion.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 3388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!