IGNORED

Cutting the Cord…

turtleback

• Administrator
If it plays on an iPad you can AirPlay it to an AppleTV. We do a fair amount of that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Pretty much all these devices, their browsers are limited. Meaning, Hulu will recognize it's not a "real" browser and may not play. You have to attach a computer to the TV. Raspberry Pi. Computer on a stick.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Pretty much all these devices, their browsers are limited. Meaning, Hulu will recognize it's not a "real" browser and not play. You have to attach a computer to the TV.

Raspberry Pi. Computer on a stick.

It isn't the Hulus of the world I am concerned about, as any streaming device will have Hulu support built in.  I want to access streaming video from sites that are too narrowly specialized to have specific support in the streaming device.

I have since learned that my Sony blu-ray player has a primitive built in browser.  Unfortunately it is barely usable - cannot see where on the screen the cursor is and waaaaay awkward using the blu-ray remote as the input device.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

[QUOTE name="nevets88" url="/t/78230/cutting-the-cord/72#post_1179125"] Pretty much all these devices, their browsers are limited. Meaning, Hulu will recognize it's not a "real" browser and not play. You have to attach a computer to the TV. Raspberry Pi. Computer on a stick.[/QUOTE] It isn't the Hulus of the world I am concerned about, as any streaming device will have Hulu support built in.  I want to access streaming video from sites that are too narrowly specialized to have specific support in the streaming device.   I have since learned that my Sony blu-ray player has a primitive built in browser.  Unfortunately it is barely usable - cannot see where on the screen the cursor is and waaaaay awkward using the blu-ray remote as the input device.

Forget any site that needs to play videos via Flash. None of the browsers handle Adobe on the devices I looked into.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

It isn't the Hulus of the world I am concerned about, as any streaming device will have Hulu support built in.  I want to access streaming video from sites that are too narrowly specialized to have specific support in the streaming device.   I have since learned that my Sony blu-ray player has a primitive built in browser.  Unfortunately it is barely usable - cannot see where on the screen the cursor is and waaaaay awkward using the blu-ray remote as the input device.

I hate to say it because I love finding workarounds to these types of problems, but I don't think you'll be able to do what you want without a casting setup. Like @nevets88 said, most streaming video is going to use flash which isn't going to be supported natively on any stand alone device.

- Mark

It isn't the Hulus of the world I am concerned about, as any streaming device will have Hulu support built in.  I want to access streaming video from sites that are too narrowly specialized to have specific support in the streaming device.

I have since learned that my Sony blu-ray player has a primitive built in browser.  Unfortunately it is barely usable - cannot see where on the screen the cursor is and waaaaay awkward using the blu-ray remote as the input device.

:bugout: Do we even want to ask?

Seriously, though.  I'm not aware of anything like that.  It would be way too clunky.  The advantage to computers and phones are that its much easier to navigate.  Do you want to type http://www.narrowandspecialized.com/  by hitting - right, right, right, down, right, OK - on your remote control for each of those letters?

The only thing that comes to mind is WebTV.  At least that's what I thought it was called.  The phrase seems to have taken on a new meaning, but I'm talking about the device that came out like 15 years ago and had a full keyboard.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Seems weird that they'd put IE on a Blu-Ray player. ;-) I wonder how that decision got made. A cheap desktop with an HDMI out and a wireless keyboard would solve a lot of the problems mentioned though.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Also a streaming device may support Hulu, but not all its content will play on a mobile/streaming device. Hulu sees to that. But all its content will play on a real browser.

Steve

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtleback

Do we even want to ask?

Well, since you ARE the Chief Investigator, the site is called kozoom.com and I pay 7.99 euros per month to get access to the finest collection of exciting videos displaying, with no regard for decency, showing in its full prurience,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  billiards.  All forms -  they do it straight, they do it with restricted positions, they do it with one cushion, they do it with three cushions . . .it is quite exciting. :dance:

• Upvote 1

Rich - in name only

Well, since you ARE the Chief Investigator, the site is called kozoom.com and I pay 7.99 euros per month to get access to the finest collection of exciting videos displaying, with no regard for decency, showing in its full prurience,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  billiards.  All forms -  they do it straight, they do it with restricted positions, they do it with one cushion, they do it with three cushions . . .it is quite exciting.

:banana: This is the funniest thing I've read all week.

- Mark

Quote:

Well, since you ARE the Chief Investigator, the site is called kozoom.com and I pay 7.99 euros per month to get access to the finest collection of exciting videos displaying, with no regard for decency, showing in its full prurience,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  billiards.  All forms -  they do it straight, they do it with restricted positions, they do it with one cushion, they do it with three cushions . . .it is quite exciting.

This is the funniest thing I've read all week.

You should see the Italian version.  They do it with 5 pins.  It sounds more painful than it is.

Rich - in name only

I have not had cable TV since 2009 when I got my Netflix account. $8/month vs $80/month - you do the math.

I apologize for having a spam URL in my signature and will not do it again.

Quote:

I hate to say it because I love finding workarounds to these types of problems, but I don't think you'll be able to do what you want without a casting setup. Like @nevets88 said, most streaming video is going to use flash which isn't going to be supported natively on any stand alone device.

I agree, in general, because it was a pain to find an android browser with flash support so I could watch the videos on my phone.  Strangely enough, though, the built in "browser" in my blu-ray player apparently has flash support built in because the videos did actually play fine.  The problem is that using the browser is so clunky this is not a viable workaround.

I've resisted casting because it makes me split my bandwidth (some for the wireless signal coming from the router to the computer, and some for the wireless signal casting the video to my TV) and the result was slowing and skipping.  But I have a new internet provider and it seems a little better, using a casting solution.

Rich - in name only

I've resisted casting because it makes me split my bandwidth (some for the wireless signal coming from the router to the computer, and some for the wireless signal casting the video to my TV) and the result was slowing and skipping.  But I have a new internet provider and it seems a little better, using a casting solution.

Many devices are capable of direct connections via Ethernet chords from the router, pending location and feasibility.

Also, new routers have the capability of dual band, where the main setup is used for WiFi to computer's, tablets, iPad, etc.

The other band is setup as "guest" which is designated to TV, set top boxes, or which ever device you choose.

Streaming with Charter services IPS, works well with Google Cast, playback using DLNA (computer to TV), and Apps which play to multiple devices through WiFi.

I use Google Cast to play movies, watch sport streams, movies from sites.

The only drawback is when there are multiple TV's in the home and wanting to watch multiple programs on the TV's.

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

For browsing, and things not available on the Roku, I just have an old computer (with very quiet power supply) hooked up to the TV and using an iPazzPort handheld wireless mini keyboard remote.  This would probably work well with an inexpensive Google Chromebox, with HDMI out.  But if there's a Roku channel for something, I still find it more convenient to use the Roku.

I just have a Mac Mini hooked up to flat panel TV. It works as a PVR as well and serves as an extra computer. Plus it's basically my music player and photo viewer.

Steve

I have not had cable TV since 2009 when I got my Netflix account. $8/month vs $80/month - you do the math.

80-8=72. What do I win?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator

80-8=72. What do I win?

A whole lot more free time since you won't be able to watch nearly as much TV?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets