IGNORED

Bad Manners or Just Rude?

thehook840
Note: This thread is 3395 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here is the neatest thing about golf. Prove it.

I have to admit, I'm confused! Anyway, I haven't seen the OP reply in a while, I hope he isn't upset at the lack of empathy of his position by others. We aren't trying to be mean, just objective.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

[quote name="trickyputt" url="/t/78885/bad-manners-or-just-rude/30_10#post_1089596"]Here is the neatest thing about golf. Prove it.

I have to admit, I'm confused! Anyway, I haven't seen the OP reply in a while, I hope he isn't upset at the lack of empathy of his position by others. We aren't trying to be mean, just objective.[/quote] I meant hole out..no pickups. If you arent keeping score...its practice?

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

Golf is played differently in different circles.  I've noticed people who are members at country clubs take 'liberties' on the greens that nobody else I play with takes.  Many also play 'speed golf' like the game is a 'duty' rather than a recreational or social activity.  These are the guys who don't have time to line up and make a putt. It's onto the next hole.  These same guys will say they scored this or that or beat somebody by 3 shots.  Yeah, ok.  You keep thinking that.

Played on vacation with my wife and picked up another guy on number 11.  He had the '2-putt max' thing going on.  Even from the fringe or collar of the green.  Wherever his first putt finished, that ended the hole.  He had plenty of 5-10' putts he simply raked away.

What was funny is when he declared a round total of 78.  Bless my wife's heart, (a 5th year player) who immediately piped up with a 'yeah, but you didn't hole out on most of the holes.'  Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

Again, the guy we picked up was there to hit balls, enjoy the day and our company.  Nobody had a hand in his pocket trying to fleece him.  I begrudge nobody the opportunity to play the type of golf they choose to play.  Only when someone is trying to take money from me will we agree to rules prior to teeing off on #1.

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Golf is played differently in different circles.  I've noticed people who are members at country clubs take 'liberties' on the greens that nobody else I play with takes.  Many also play 'speed golf' like the game is a 'duty' rather than a recreational or social activity.  These are the guys who don't have time to line up and make a putt. It's onto the next hole.  These same guys will say they scored this or that or beat somebody by 3 shots.  Yeah, ok.  You keep thinking that.

Played on vacation with my wife and picked up another guy on number 11.  He had the '2-putt max' thing going on.  Even from the fringe or collar of the green.  Wherever his first putt finished, that ended the hole.  He had plenty of 5-10' putts he simply raked away.

What was funny is when he declared a round total of 78.  Bless my wife's heart, (a 5th year player) who immediately piped up with a 'yeah, but you didn't hole out on most of the holes.'  Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

Again, the guy we picked up was there to hit balls, enjoy the day and our company.  Nobody had a hand in his pocket trying to fleece him.  I begrudge nobody the opportunity to play the type of golf they choose to play.  Only when someone is trying to take money from me will we agree to rules prior to teeing off on #1.

Or just for exercise. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Golf is played differently in different circles.  I've noticed people who are members at country clubs take 'liberties' on the greens that nobody else I play with takes.  Many also play 'speed golf' like the game is a 'duty' rather than a recreational or social activity.  These are the guys who don't have time to line up and make a putt. It's onto the next hole.  These same guys will say they scored this or that or beat somebody by 3 shots.  Yeah, ok.  You keep thinking that. Played on vacation with my wife and picked up another guy on number 11.  He had the '2-putt max' thing going on.  Even from the fringe or collar of the green.  Wherever his first putt finished, that ended the hole.  He had plenty of 5-10' putts he simply raked away. What was funny is when he declared a round total of 78.  Bless my wife's heart, (a 5th year player) who immediately piped up with a 'yeah, but you didn't hole out on most of the holes.'  Ignorance is bliss, I guess. Again, the guy we picked up was there to hit balls, enjoy the day and our company.  Nobody had a hand in his pocket trying to fleece him.  I begrudge nobody the opportunity to play the type of golf they choose to play.  Only when someone is trying to take money from me will we agree to rules prior to teeing off on #1.

GOOD post. Thats the way to do it. MmL the wife thing.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

after playing different sports and games for about 40 years, I've seen every form of gamemanship there is.  Sounds like bossman was just trying to get in your head.  Maybe you did something he didn't like.  There's always two sides to the story.  When I am in a group with a player who is doing something that has an undesirable effect on my happiness, I try to make light of it by making a friendly joke... or I ignore it.  I play with a boss who likes start a conversation with anyone when I'm addressing my tee stroke.  He does it like clockwork.  I ignore it.  I play with another boss who is bossy on the golf course.  I ignore it.  I can't say how many times I've played with golfers who take gimmees or don't count missed putts and then claim the wrong score, which is consistently better than my score.  I ignore it.  When we play for money, I don't always ignore stuff, but most of the time keeping fellow golfers out of my head is the best solution for me because I play better and have more fun when I stay focused on my shot.  The thing about lining up a tee stroke in front of the markers might be something to consider.  I see good golfers do this all the time.

The game that your friend's boss plays is called "President Clinton golf." That is how he played the game and told reporters that he shot an 82.Your friend would make a great ambassador because he knows which side of his bread is buttered.  You are also a great ambassador because you kept your cool and did not show up on the fourth day.However, if your friends boss was President Clinton would you have shown up on the fourth day? Regardless, of how I would like to play golf the proper way I would have shown up if his boss was President Clinton.

I would tell my friend that as long as the boss plays, I wouldn't be playing, unless he was picking up the tab. Life's too short. I only scrape gimmes away if the course is backed up AND the putt is shorter than 2 feet. If the course isn't backed up, the putt has to be within 12-15 inches. If someone in the group calls my putt good, I pick up. If I play a stranger and he has a gimme, I say "that's good in my book". If he putts it anyway, I don't say it again. Don't want him to get pissed off. If the guy putts out of turn once, I let him and try to get a read from his putt. If he does it again, I say, "Hey a--hole, I'm away".

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I would tell my friend that as long as the boss plays, I wouldn't be playing, unless he was picking up the tab. Life's too short. I only scrape gimmes away if the course is backed up AND the putt is shorter than 2 feet. If the course isn't backed up, the putt has to be within 12-15 inches. If someone in the group calls my putt good, I pick up. If I play a stranger and he has a gimme, I say "that's good in my book". If he putts it anyway, I don't say it again. Don't want him to get pissed off. If the guy putts out of turn once, I let him and try to get a read from his putt. If he does it again, I say, "Hey a--hole, I'm away".

I'm just curious why wouldn't you just keep trying to read his putt.. If that's a perceived advantage by you, shouldn't you keep exploiting it?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I'm just curious why wouldn't you just keep trying to read his putt.. If that's a perceived advantage by you, shouldn't you keep exploiting it?

The Rules of Golf?

• Upvote 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

This is why I never play for money in golf or pool. Too many people play the game differently. As far as getting upset about it, not worth the effort. It's not good to let things get under your skin.

- Shane

• Administrator

This is why I never play for money in golf or pool. Too many people play the game differently. As far as getting upset about it, not worth the effort. It's not good to let things get under your skin.

If you play by the Rules, they won't play differently.

But some (most?) people don't seem to know the actual rules, so… I get your point.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I would tell my friend that as long as the boss plays, I wouldn't be playing, unless he was picking up the tab. Life's too short.

I only scrape gimmes away if the course is backed up AND the putt is shorter than 2 feet. If the course isn't backed up, the putt has to be within 12-15 inches. If someone in the group calls my putt good, I pick up.

If I play a stranger and he has a gimme, I say "that's good in my book". If he putts it anyway, I don't say it again. Don't want him to get pissed off.

If the guy putts out of turn once, I let him and try to get a read from his putt. If he does it again, I say, "Hey a--hole, I'm away".

You do realize that there is no requirement for him to mark and his lift his ball?  If he chooses to do so he may putt, rather than lift his ball, even if you have asked him to lift it.  See Rule 22-2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abu3baid

The Rules of Golf?

So you are saying he should be a stickler for the rules for order of play, but 2 foot gimmes are okay? :blink:

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post

You do realize that there is no requirement for him to mark and his lift his ball?  If he chooses to do so he may putt, rather than lift his ball, even if you have asked him to lift it.  See Rule 22-2.

Rick is pointing this out:

Quote:
In stroke play, a player required to lift his ball may play first rather than lift the ball.

Of course, if you have a 20-footer, and the guy has a 15-footer not on your line or interfering with your ball, that doesn't really come into play.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Obviously its just me but I still don't get why the OP should be bothered by what his friend's boss is doing.

Some have observed that it is gamesmanship.

Others have commented that playing out of turn is a rules issue.

To me unless I am playing a wager with the friend and his boss, I could not care one bit whether or not the boss gives himself a 20 downhill side hill putt or if he putts out of turn.

As long as the boss is not doing something that directly affects my swing or my putt's line I am good with what others are doing.

I play often as a single so I get to meet and play with lots of different people.

I just play my own game and I don't get upset if the people I am playing with doesn't obey all the rules.

I often play with another member that always putts out of turn. He doesn't line up his putts and will usually pickup after two putts. Doesn't bother me one bit to let him putt out first.

At my stage in life golf is about getting outdoor exercise and meeting interesting new people.

So you are saying he should be a stickler for the rules for order of play, but 2 foot gimmes are okay?

You know what?  You really don't care what I was saying, you're just trying to make debating points, because there is no way you can get that from what I actually said.  Re-phrasing what someone says in order to make it say something else, and then attacking it, is a crappy way to argue or discuss.

And if you'd slow down enough to read what was actually being talked about, it was letting your fellow competitor putt out of turn in order to gain an advantage, not 2 foot gimmes.  And I am puzzled why you would think I would say 2 foot gimmes are OK, since I have never said anything like that.

I am saying that he should be a stickler for the rules for order of play when failing to follow them confers an advantage on one of the players.    And 2 foot gimmes are never OK except in match play.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

LOL.  If my wife's ball is on green, it's automatic 2 putts or less.   She never score worse than double bogey ;-).   I am fine with that.  It keeps her enjoying golf.   To the OP's original post, just play your game.   Golf is an individual sport (er, game).

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Nice thread.  I'm in a different situation, one of my employees is a good guy and we try to play on occasion.  Anyway, he has this friend/golf buddy.  Not a bad guy, but he's just 'tense', I guess.  It always starts the moment we hit the first tee too.

So my employee and I have played a few times.  A couple bloody mary's, and lots of gimmes and we have fun - that's our thing.  We'll even just pick up at 10 feet or so on the putting green just to keep it light.  But I'm respecting his friend and don't dare to give him anything.  Hell, a couple times I took our gimme's off the green right away so he'd have a clean green to do his 'thing' on - (his routine is tortuous, but no biggie, different strokes for different strokes).  Even after trying to be nice here, he still scowls and mumbles at us.  One time he was taking so darn long on a 20 footer, I just went ahead and putted to get my ball out of the way - again trying to give him a clear green.  That was even worse.  But I get the impression he likes to putt out, so I leave it alone.  Gotta respect the other guy and how he finds his fun.

You'd think that after the round we could get him to loosen up.  One time I tried to break the ice and cracked a little tease at him since he's a much better player than me, figuring he'd jump in a be one of the guys.  But hell, I haven't seen him since.

Too bad, he could play decent and most of the time wasn't all that bad.  just a bit tight.

any thoughts?

• Upvote 2

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 3395 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!