IGNORED

2015 U.S. Open at Chambers Bay Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3222 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't know what's best for Tiger.

Stay out there and strip away any confidence or dignity that remains; or shut it down for what's left of the season since it appears that "playoffs? what do you mean playoffs?" is not in the picture.

Have him empty his brain, get him to a shrink, keep on working on his game alone with Como, and then play with Tour Friends in betting games. Just get him away and have a second coming... next year.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Stay out there and strip away any confidence or dignity that remains; or shut it down for what's left of the season since it appears that "playoffs? what do you mean playoffs?" is not in the picture.

Have him empty his brain, get him to a shrink, keep on working on his game alone with Como, and then play with Tour Friends in betting games. Just get him away and have a second coming... next year.

When baseball players come back from injury or a slump they can work it out in the minor leagues where there's still decent competition and pressure but smaller crowds.  Tiger has no such option, so rather than hiding in private I think he needs to sign up for more tournaments and work it out.  I keep hearing how well he hits the ball on the range so this is about playing under tournament pressure which means he needs to do it more, not less imo.

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Yeah I think Tiger needs to take time off.  I mean REALLY take time off.  He's been out of commission for stretches over the last six years, but every time it's been against his will and a race to get back.  He needs to just walk away from competition for a while, on his own terms, and get his mind and body straight.  He can still play, practice, whatever, but remove the pressure of trying to come back, win, and meet fan expectations completely until he finds his zen again.

• Upvote 1

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Yeah - I think Tiger can't go into hiding  .that would be a big mistake.  If he does, there will be such tremendous pressure whenever he decides to return. . .everybody will be watching to see if he mucks it up or not.

At this point, the damage is done.  He's out there, the commentators are having a field day with it, he's already suffered the worst of it . .it only gets better from this point.  UNLESS he goes into hiding and then he will have to go through this all over again (potentially) next year.  If I were Tiger I'd start playing in almost every tournament there is and use the rest of this year to find my game .. on tour.

I loved the first round.  Chambers Bay is what a golf course should look like, not these pristine parks that the pros normally play.  Watch over the next 10-20 years as more areas deal with water shortages, and golf courses have no choice but to start planting drought resistant grasses that can be played on as they alternate between active and dormant.  The future holds more of this look - this is the new "green".

As far as putting is concerned, the only issues I saw was when the putts died.  They rolled true as long as they had some speed, and that is pretty much what I deal with all the time.  I have no problems with the pros having to make some adjustments, and in particular with them having to struggle when they are in the wrong place in relation to the hole.  I had a couple of those putts myself yesterday, one wandered off left 2 inches in front of the hole, the other one stayed true and dropped.  I didn't go and complain to the course pro, I just wrote down my score as I headed to the next tee.

This US Open is more like golf in the real world, and I'm loving every minute of it. :dance:

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Along the lines of getting his head straight...

I think Tiger needs a new "Father" figure who is good for him mentally and can lead him to a mental coach. He grew up in a golf bubble. Real life is weird, and it appears he was not prepared for it outside the bubble.

If he finds that "dad", I think it will help his head.

As to more play, I just don't know. I was in that camp, but he seemed completely lost on that course yesterday.

It's possible my opinion is in over-reaction format based on yesterday.

At least his mental frame or his statements state that he is grinding. But how long can he grind without saying "screw it."

I think it took him more than a year to make swing changes years ago ... and now he is older. The last 6 years and decisions have cost him (and cost the game and us, golf fans.)

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Yeah - I think Tiger can't go into hiding  .that would be a big mistake.  If he does, there will be such tremendous pressure whenever he decides to return. . .everybody will be watching to see if he mucks it up or not.

At this point, the damage is done.  He's out there, the commentators are having a field day with it, he's already suffered the worst of it . .it only gets better from this point.  UNLESS he goes into hiding and then he will have to go through this all over again (potentially) next year.  If I were Tiger I'd start playing in almost every tournament there is and use the rest of this year to find my game .. on tour.

That's my thinking, if Tiger continues to play mediocre - bad golf every tournament he will eventually become just another golfer and receive less and less coverage until the quality of his play warrants more coverage.  He needs to get used to playing under tournament conditions without everyone watching his every move.

Joe Paradiso

Along the lines of getting his head straight...

I think Tiger needs a new "Father" figure who is good for him mentally and can lead him to a mental coach. He grew up in a golf bubble. Real life is weird, and it appears he was not prepared for it outside the bubble.

If he finds that "dad", I think it will help his head.

I agree 100%, that's why I push for him to get back to Butch, but he's going to have to eat a lot of humble pie before Butch considers it.

Joe Paradiso

Honestly I don't feel bad for the pros. The rest of us have to play sketchy greens at times. Almost all the tracks in my area have a couple of greens that run different speeds and it does mess up your stroke at times. If I had a beef, it would be the difficulty of distinguishing the green vs fairway. Hopefully on non open weeks they let the grass grow a little taller around the greens (which I assume is so, or no one would want to play it).

Yeah I think Tiger needs to take time off.  I mean REALLY take time off.  He's been out of commission for stretches over the last six years, but every time it's been against his will and a race to get back.  He needs to just walk away from competition for a while, on his own terms, and get his mind and body straight.  He can still play, practice, whatever, but remove the pressure of trying to come back, win, and meet fan expectations completely until he finds his zen again.

1 - The course looks amazing and different and challenging.  I'm thrilled with this open.  We only ever get something even close to this at The Open.

2 - Regardless, they all play the same course and we are seeing real imagination and some great shots.  Suck it up pros.  It's a chance for great players to shine, not the robotic players to bitch.  (I guess we can make it more challenging without having to ONLY make them longer.....)

3 - I feel horrible for Tiger.  The classless people taking joy in his downturn are just drunk children and likely the same as those yelling "get in the hole" and "bababooey".  He really needs to start over.  Go get a good talk or ten from Jack about it.  It's clear he's conflicted over what he can do now vs what he used to be able to do.

4 - Holly Sonders - from an absolutely beautiful girl in college....now she's a freak show, of a caricature, of a stereotype, of an evil circus clown.  I literally jumped away from the TV set last night when they cut to one of her segments.  There is nothing right about what's going on there.  Step away from your horrible talentless plastic surgeons - this is a crime against nature.  Big loss there, FOX Sports, no one wants to see that.

5 - FOX's coverage - best ever.  I really like how they are covering it.  Much better than GC or CBS for SURE.  Tie that to the excellent feed from the USGA and this is a pleasure to watch

6 - Billy Horschel - I like that his biggest complaint is for the spectators' sake.  At least here's a pro that's thinking about something other than his own experience.

Bill - 

While I'm not a fan of a "created" course like CB, you are missing out on the current trend toward natural areas, large undulating greens and firm and fast conditions. By the way, courses like St. Andrews and other British links courses often punish "perfect" shots. Have you heard the term "rub of the green"?

I m living off links courses. As you said "natural areas". I m watching  bunkers wider than  fairways. How often you are punished in a round can go from ' challenging' to 'moronic' . 18 round of golf at 10 miles walking is 'no bueno'. If players used to go around the world are criticising the RTJ Jr "creation" on day 1 speaks volumes.

I like the fact that you avoided the word " elevation" . It makes a special link course : elevation like a Swiss Resort, a Sea of Sand and 7700 yards to play through. A 'Venice in Las Vegas' should I say ?

In the Bag:

D     Cobra Amp Cell Pro 

W    Ping G25

H    Titlelist 910 H

I     Titleist AP2 710

W   Vokey TVD K 60 - TVD K 54 - SM5 50

P    Ping TR Cadence Heavy

================================

"Rumores fuge, ne incipias novus auctor haberi: nam nulli tacuisse nocet, nocet esse locutum"

Right now I am rooting for Phil and Spieth because they are not acting like whining children about the golf course :)

I'm the same way. They have been that way all week. Love their attitude. Like someone said, I think the weather the last two weeks has really heard these greens, not so much the USGA.

6 - Billy Horschel - I like that his biggest complaint is for the spectators' sake.  At least here's a pro that's thinking about something other than his own experience.

Bingo, I picked up on that as well, and it actually made me like Horschel more.  He wasn't complaining like a lot were about the greens, and this and that....he wants a better experience for the fans.  Kudos to that.

Holly may need the shrink more than Tiger ... new nose and lips ... enough.

If you did not know how she appeared previously, I think a new audience would think - cute but too much makeup.

I think she has tried to morph from All-American girl to International Beauty (or is that exotic dancer, can't be sure -- see recent cover shoot on golf or gd) and it just doesn't translate well.

But she has spunk and energy -- something that telecast could use.

OH! Gosh Darn... wrong thread again... Apologies.

Let's see if the guys on Thursday morning can score in the afternoon.

I m living off links courses. As you said "natural areas". I m watching  bunkers wider than  fairways. How often you are punished in a round can go from ' challenging' to 'moronic' . 18 round of golf at 10 miles walking is 'no bueno'. If players used to go around the world are criticising the RTJ Jr "creation" on day 1 speaks volumes.

I like the fact that you avoided the word " elevation" . It makes a special link course : elevation like a Swiss Resort, a Sea of Sand and 7700 yards to play through. A 'Venice in Las Vegas' should I say ?

You don't have Links courses in Australia. You have Sand Belt courses. The bottom line is pro golfers are whiners anyway and I don't give a crap about this. I said that I am not a fan of how this course was constructed (created). Chambers Bay is not calling itself a Links course. It's a links style course and in the reality other than the firm fast conditions, it doesn't play like one. You can't bump approach shots into the greens, there are no native dunes etc.

No sure, but pin placements look a little tougher than yesterday?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

You don't have Links courses in Australia. You have Sand Belt courses. The bottom line is pro golfers are whiners anyway and I don't give a crap about this. I said that I am not a fan of how this course was constructed (created). Chambers Bay is not calling itself a Links course. It's a links style course and in the reality other than the firm fast conditions, it doesn't play like one. You can't bump approach shots into the greens, there are no native dunes etc.

I leave you splitting hair. The true links are only in GB and Ireland, the others are "links-like". Chambers Bay has been presented by USA media as the American' St Andrews, and as a link-like golf course the y have done a poor job. That's not my opinion but reactions by players, media and spectators all over the globe. Chambers Bay is uniquely bad. On TV I can see those beautiful trees on the background and the staggering green and flowers of the great US Open comes to my mind.

In the Bag:

D     Cobra Amp Cell Pro 

W    Ping G25

H    Titlelist 910 H

I     Titleist AP2 710

W   Vokey TVD K 60 - TVD K 54 - SM5 50

P    Ping TR Cadence Heavy

================================

"Rumores fuge, ne incipias novus auctor haberi: nam nulli tacuisse nocet, nocet esse locutum"

Note: This thread is 3222 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!