IGNORED

Paula Creamer wants a Women’s Masters at Augusta [SB Nation]

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3284 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Augusta Nationals membership is confidential, None of us know with certainty how many women are actually members beyond what they chose to make public.  They are a private club, they have zero obligation to do anything for the LPGA unless they decide it benefits their club and membership.

The Masters is a great tournament and course so I can see why Paula is envious but there's nothing stopping the LPGA from duplicating the event at another great course.  As I said in an earlier post, they should reach out to Trump and pitch the idea that they'd like him to create the "greatest" tournament for the LPGA, something that rivals the Masters for the men at one of his showcase courses.

Thats not a bad idea. And if it involed a course he didnt own he could just buy it!

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The Masters started out as essentially the Bobby Jones Invitational. Then it turned into the Masters. Any discussion of the Masters has to keep the link to Jones strongly in mind.

If there were to be a women's tournament at Augusta, it wouldn't be a Masters. It would be a made-up, copycat tournament.

Let the LPGA make their own traditions.

The Masters started out as essentially the Bobby Jones Invitational. Then it turned into the Masters. Any discussion of the Masters has to keep the link to Jones strongly in mind.

If there were to be a women's tournament at Augusta, it wouldn't be a Masters. It would be a made-up, copycat tournament.

Let the LPGA make their own traditions.

Good point about it not being a masters, it would have to be a Mistresses :-P

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Sadly I wasted 10 minutes readiung this thread, shouldn't happen, isn't going to happen, don't want it to happen...topic closed me.

now lets reopen the l ingerie conversation...we could be onto something to really help the ratings here - it obviously would have to be an invitational event, limited field maybe theme for every day....

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Being a fan of golf, which includes the LPGA, I'd love to see it. I understand it will never happen. It's obvious that most male members here believe it's a horrible idea. I can't say I agree with the arguments against the idea although I understand most of them. What do the female SandTrappers think of the idea?

Ross (aka cubdog)

Quote:

Originally Posted by skydog

No thanks.

It's the free market

It's by definition not a free market if all parties don't have the same opportunities to use the resources available (ANGC won't let them hold the tournament there). Also, the men's game has had an institutional head start of about 50+ years.

Actually it is by definition a free market in which Augusta National is free to choose what tournaments it wants to host.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skydog

No thanks.

It's the free market...if Wie and Creamer want to play golf in their lingerie then I'm sure they'll get the revenue and ratings they crave. That's about the only way you're going to get  most guys (including this one) to ever watch the LPGA.

Agreed. I love Augusta as much as anyone but I would have no interest in watching this. All it would do is dilute the aura of the course and the Masters for me.

You gotta be kidding me. And here I thought this kind of thinking went out in the 1970s. No. Don't give me examples. Please.

That has to be just about the crudest and most sexist comment I've seen on this forum.  I'm a bit surprised that it made it past the mods.

Sadly I wasted 10 minutes readiung this thread, shouldn't happen, isn't going to happen, don't want it to happen...topic closed me.

now lets reopen the lingerie conversation...we could be onto something to really help the ratings here - it obviously would have to be an invitational event, limited field maybe theme for every day....

And I repeat what I said above.  You two need figure out that we left our fur loincloths and caves behind about 50,000 years ago.

I don't really care if it happens or not, though it looks unlikely.  You can't create tradition - it either happens or it doesn't.  Just holding a tournament at Augusta National would not make it any more special in the way of tradition than any other.  The course might give it some additional meaning, but I think that it's a poorly conceived idea.

The LPGA needs to stop changing the names of it's "majors" all the time and develop the traditions which might someday have meaning.

I will cringe if The Masters ever becomes the Mercedes Benz/American Express Masters. :blink:

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

now lets reopen the lingerie conversation...we could be onto something to really help the ratings here - it obviously would have to be an invitational event, limited field maybe theme for every day....

LOL.

Well done for telling the truth,I concur.

You crude and sexist bad boy. :dance:

That has to be just about the crudest and most sexist comment I've seen on this forum.  I'm a bit surprised that it made it past the mods.

We're very much of the opinion that if a poster wants to make themself look like an *******, we're not going to sanitize that. Everyone else is free to post your disagreement (as long as it's on topic).

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

LOL.

Well done for telling the truth,I concur.

You crude and sexist bad boy.

You guys kind of suck.

I can understand some of the arguments against having a women's Masters at Augusta; many of the ones posted here have a lot of truth in them. But these kinds of posts are pretty shitty, especially when you revel in that kind of sexism. It isn't a good look; nobody thinks you're cool or edgy.

• Upvote 1

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Being a fan of golf, which includes the LPGA, I'd love to see it. I understand it will never happen. It's obvious that most male members here believe it's a horrible idea. I can't say I agree with the arguments against the idea although I understand most of them. What do the female SandTrappers think of the idea?

Speaking only for myself, I don't believe it's a horrible idea at all.  But I do think the folks who run ANGC believe it's a horrible idea, which is why I don't think it ever has a chance of happening.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

You guys kind of suck.  I can understand some of the arguments against having a women's Masters at Augusta; many of the ones posted here have a lot of truth in them. But these kinds of posts are pretty shitty, especially when you revel in that kind of sexism. It isn't a good look; nobody thinks you're cool or edgy.

C"mon man, they're just messin around. This is what I meant the other day about sanctimony. Still has to be room in this world for this kind of harmless horseplay, no?

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

C"mon man, they're just messin around. This is what I meant the other day about sanctimony. Still has to be room in this world for this kind of harmless horseplay, no?

This website isn't the men's locker room at a country club, though, and it's not a corner table in a bar when you're out with just the guys or your regular foursome on the golf course.

It's a public forum, with men and women and children able to read everything.

• Upvote 1

This website isn't the men's locker room at a country club, though, and it's not a corner table in a bar when you're out with just the guys or your regular foursome on the golf course. It's a public forum, with men and women and children able to read everything.

Concur. But imo the response was less appropriate than the original posts.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Concur. But imo the response was less appropriate than the original posts.

Yes, calling someone out for sexist (not to mention unfunny) jokes is worse than the commentary itself. That makes a lot of sense.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Yes, calling someone out for sexist (not to mention unfunny) jokes is worse than the commentary itself. That makes a lot of sense.

It was the vulgar term you used that I referred to, which I feel is more offensive than a joke about girls in lingerie. Maybe I'm wrong. But really, this is all OT and I shouldn't have responded in the 1st place. Back on topic, I am fully in favor of the ladies playing there notwithstanding some of the valid reasons to oppose. I'd just enjoy seeing how they would try to conquer it because I think it would be representative of how I might do it if I ever got the opportunity. I understand it will never happen.

It was the vulgar term you used that I referred to, which I feel is more offensive than a joke about girls in lingerie. Maybe I'm wrong.

..."Shitty?" "Suck?" I'm struggling here.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

It was the vulgar term you used that I referred to, which I feel is more offensive than a joke about girls in lingerie. Maybe I'm wrong. But really, this is all OT and I shouldn't have responded in the 1st place. Back on topic, I am fully in favor of the ladies playing there notwithstanding some of the valid reasons to oppose. I'd just enjoy seeing how they would try to conquer it because I think it would be representative of how I might do it if I ever got the opportunity. I understand it will never happen.

lol and you call me sanctimonious. Might want to rethink that one. My one curse word being somehow worse than sexist behavior. Come on.

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

This thread is becoming like Augusta National at the end of May: overheating and ready for a break.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Note: This thread is 3284 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!