IGNORED

Paula Creamer wants a Women’s Masters at Augusta [SB Nation]

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3256 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2015/4/15/8417197/masters-womens-event-augusta-national

I didn't know the fastest area of growth in golf is women, will have to read up on that. Not sure how valid the chairman's response was - short season. And I forget how back to back USO & WUSO worked out last year - they could do that for The Masters I guess. More questions than answers, but I'd like to see it happen. The ultra conservativeness of the club leads me to think otherwise though.

Quote:
The 2010 U.S. Women’s Open champion went to Twitter on Tuesday to ask the green-jacketed powers-that-be to say yes to a request the chief of the LPGA Tour has made almost each year since taking the reins in 2010.

I hope The Masters will consider a Women's Masters soon. They do so much to grow the game. Fastest area of golf growth is women! #6Majors?

— Paula Creamer (@ThePCreamer) April 14, 2015

Creamer’s plea was certainly popular with her 189,000 followers. We just hope the 10-time tour winner isn’t holding her breath because Augusta chair Billy Payne made it rather clear last week that weeping for the remains of a dead tree was a much better use of his time than considering the prospect of women over the age of 15 competing at his uber-exclusive club.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Did not think they even had a set of ladies tee boxes ... But I would like see the ladies play a tournament there, but doubt it will ever happen.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2015/04/14/3646885/top-golfer-calls-augusta-national-host-womens-masters/

Quote:
It wouldn’t be easy. Seven-day golf tournaments (including practice rounds) and the crowds they bring take a toll on a course, so feasibility is certainly a concern especially at a place like Augusta, which unlike Pinehurst hosts its tournament each year and where organizers take a certain pride in the image the course projects and the challenges that result from constant tweaks. Perhaps such a tournament would work best as its own one-off, or as an occasional rather than annual stop on the LPGA circuit. But given that it would be another sign of progress for a club hardly known for such and the shot in the arm it could give the sport, a Women’s Masters seems like an option worth considering for everyone involved.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

It would be great to see, and I think they could certainly make it work, but I doubt it'll happen any time soon. [quote name="isukgolf" url="/t/81424/paula-creamer-wants-a-women-s-masters-at-augusta-sb-nation/0_30#post_1130164"]Did not think they even had a set of ladies tee boxes ... But I would like see the ladies play a tournament there, but doubt it will ever happen.[/quote] They have the members tees. Not sure what the yardage of those is though.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

[URL=http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2015/4/15/8417197/masters-womens-event-augusta-national]http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2015/4/15/8417197/masters-womens-event-augusta-national[/URL] I didn't know the fastest area of growth in golf is women, will have to read up on that. Not sure how valid the chairman's response was - short season. And I forget how back to back USO & WUSO worked out last year - they could do that for The Masters I guess. More questions than answers, but I'd like to see it happen. The ultra conservativeness of the club leads me to think otherwise though.

WHY? WHY? Just leave Augusta alone and find your own damn venue. I need to take a few weeks off. I could post on this one for decades.

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2015/4/15/8417197/masters-womens-event-augusta-national

I didn't know the fastest area of growth in golf is women, will have to read up on that. Not sure how valid the chairman's response was - short season. And I forget how back to back USO & WUSO worked out last year - they could do that for The Masters I guess. More questions than answers, but I'd like to see it happen. The ultra conservativeness of the club leads me to think otherwise though.

I don't follow women's golf that carefully, but I sort of get the impression the ANA is meant as sort of a Masters comparable, but I was totally surprised that they don't actually play a women's Masters. Might be a burden on the membership at Augusta to cut into more of their limited season, and take away the charm of the members playing the Masters set up after the tournament if they had to turn around and weaken the course for a women's Masters right after.

But in principle, I think it's a good idea. Maybe get them to hold the women's tournament at Pine Valley instead, haha.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

My simple answer: Yes.

One way to grow the game is to include women as much as possible. A Women's Masters at Augusta would be a MASSIVE push in the right direction IMO.

• Upvote 2

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

It would help Augusta's rep ... not that they care.

Why not hold it two weeks later?

The member's season with the course is so short... I would use that as a reason ... But

I doubt if Augusta is heavily played.

It will not happen.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I follow LPGA more than I do PGA and this is the first time I've heard of the request.   LPGA already has 5 majors, and the number of majors, names/sponsors have been changing throughout their history.   I.e, it's hard to look at any of their existing "major" as having any kind of tradition, history, etc..    They got some work to do in this area before asking for The Women's Masters.   My 2 cents for one who is following the LPGA closely.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I just shared and favorited her tweet. But disagreed with 6 majors. They'd need to replace the least popular one IMO

Joel Holden

It is an interesting concept, and I would certainly enjoy watching. One might even be able to get tickets! I agree that if it was a major and not a one-time deal, they would need to replace one of the majors they already have.

As to whether it will happen, or even if it should, take a step back and remember that what is known and loved by us as the "Masters" began as the Augusta National Invitation Tournament, founded by Bob Jones and Clifford Roberts at the club they founded, which remains at least one of the probably two or three most exclusive golf clubs in the nation, or world for that matter. A club that when a couple of folks tried to pressure sponsors to pressure the club to admit women members, said fine, we'll take the pressure off the sponsors and present the tournament without sponsors. We may not agree with everything they do, but they are stout enough to do what they damn well please when they damn well please, and you do have to respect that.

Yes one of Bobby Jones' ideas was to further the game. I think in time, the powers that be at Augusta may come around to the idea, but it is a lot to ask of the members to put on two major tournaments every year. I would love to see it at least once though.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I would imagine a yearly women's tournament would be a non starter, but they could at least host a US Open there, for example. Or do something like the British Open does, have Augusta as a rotating course of one of the majors. It makes sense to let the best women play there. And who wouldn't want to see another tournament there?

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator

I vote no.

They already have two majors that are played on the same course year to year (ANA and the Evian in France). The third one (the LPGA Championship) used to be held on the same course year to year as well, though it moved around a little too.

Augusta hosts The Masters. They can find their own darn course or use one of the ones they have already.

I saw what they had to do to Oakmont to get the women to play there without embarrassing themselves. I do not want to see that done to Augusta.

@DeadMan the course is not open when they play the U.S. Women's Open.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'd vote no. I get the uproar about Augusta not allowing women members till recently. Still, its a PRIVATE club. I don't want to diminish the Masters by having more tournaments there. Go find your own "Masters" course.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I vote yes.

• Upvote 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I vote no as well.  They can have a Masters but not at Augusta.  As @iacas ey already have 2 tournaments that are played at the same course every year, why the need to add another.  Once the initial press dies down about the LPGA invading Augusta, no will care about it any more than they care about the other LPGA majors.

The LPGA won't find success by copying the PGA Tour, it's not in their best interest to draw direct comparisons.

Joe Paradiso

I saw what they had to do to Oakmont to get the women to play there without embarrassing themselves. I do not want to see that done to Augusta.

Would it really take a lot of work? What would be the hardest thing to change?

I don't really know what goes into making a course compatible for the females. I would have just figured that there'd be a members tee box they could use and then maybe dampen the greens down and go from there. But like I said, I have no idea.

Joel Holden

Note: This thread is 3256 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!