IGNORED

NFL Draft

jsgolfer
Note: This thread is 3287 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Minor point of correction: the Patriots drafted Malcom Brown, the defensive tackle (so I think that's who you're referencing). There is a Malcolm Brown in the draft, but he's a running back. Of course, your team has had quite some success, both with defensive linemen in the first round, and also guys with names similar to Malcom playing defense, so taking that guy was smart.

My bad, a spelling mistake.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I still think Tampa Bay should have traded out of the first pick. Winston is to risky for that first spot. He's a project player who is 2-3 years out if he can keep his nose clean. To me he's not mature enough to be a top tier QB in the NFL. Unless he gains some maturity in 3 years he'll be a huge bust. He had a lot of hype on him, I think he would have been a great trade out of the first pick situation. Get multiple picks this year and maybe a first round next year. They could trade down 4-5 spots, picked up Leonard Williams and also gained picks for more depth.

Bucs need a QB more than anything else. He's as ready to be an NFL player as any in the draft. Mariota is the project.   Had GM Licht and HC Smith picked Williams, they'd have been run out of town.

Bucs need a QB more than anything else. He's as ready to be an NFL player as any in the draft. Mariota is the project.   Had GM Licht and HC Smith picked Williams, they'd have been run out of town.

They'll probably get run out of town when Winston ends up going to jail for something stupid. Then they will ask, "Why did you waste a first round pick on such a risky player".

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I still think Tampa Bay should have traded out of the first pick. Winston is to risky for that first spot. He's a project player who is 2-3 years out if he can keep his nose clean. To me he's not mature enough to be a top tier QB in the NFL. Unless he gains some maturity in 3 years he'll be a huge bust. He had a lot of hype on him, I think he would have been a great trade out of the first pick situation. Get multiple picks this year and maybe a first round next year. They could trade down 4-5 spots, picked up Leonard Williams and also gained picks for more depth.

Huh?  Everything I've read says he is the most ready to step in day 1.  He played in a pro style offense.  Who are you seeing say he is a project player?

I think another issue might be he'll be in Florida. If he was drafted by a team outside of Florida then they could isolate him from any potential bad influences. Maybe he hangs around with the wrong crowd.

It is 4 hours between Tallahassee and Tampa Bay.  And his hometown is in Alabama, not Florida.

Now it looks like straining for reasons for TB to not draft him.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Being the brunt of so many draft jokes I see the Raiders making another solid draft this year, so many people hate this team but the reality is if Reggie Mckenzie continues to draft year in year out this well the silver and black will be relevant again very soon. Amari Cooper was not just a very solid safe pick but a clear need and that's always one advantage when your team has so many holes more than likely you can safely go BPA and there's a need for that guy.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Huh?  Everything I've read says he is the most ready to step in day 1.  He played in a pro style offense.  Who are you seeing say he is a project player?

It is 4 hours between Tallahassee and Tampa Bay.  And his hometown is in Alabama, not Florida.

Now it looks like straining for reasons for TB to not draft him.

Nope, not ready. Even Andrew Luck struggled his first year. He is not NFL ready. He might be the starter, but that doesn't mean he will be NFL ready.

Most ready to step in doesn't mean he's worth a #1 pick. I don't see Winston being that mature to take the NFL seriously.

Only 1 QB has made it in the NFL and lived up to the #1 pick in the past 10 years and that is Andrew Luck and it took him 2 years to get good. Winston isn't even in the same level as Andrew Luck.

Andrew Luck: Top 5 QB right now

Cam Newton: above average QB, not elite

Sam Bradford: Bust

JaMarcus Russell: Bust

Alex Smith: Bust

Eli Manning: Bust

Carson Palmer: Had a good few years, slightly above average QB

David Carr: Bust

Michael Vick: Yo-Yo career, slightly above average QB

Tim Couch: Bust

Take sure bets with the top picks. Defensive line, Offensive Line, Pass Rushers. A good offensive line makes a mediocre QB look good. Bad OL makes great QB's look really bad.

From what I hear TB needed help on the DL. The best D-Line guy was the guy from USC. From what I see it's either him or Winston ranked #1 or #2 as the best players in the draft. Heck NFL.com has Williams #1 overall and Winston as #5 overall. I bet Williams has a better career than Winston.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Nope, not ready. Even Andrew Luck struggled his first year. He is not NFL ready. He might be the starter, but that doesn't mean he will be NFL ready.

Most ready to step in doesn't mean he's worth a #1 pick. I don't see Winston being that mature to take the NFL seriously.

Only 1 QB has made it in the NFL and lived up to the #1 pick in the past 10 years and that is Andrew Luck and it took him 2 years to get good. Winston isn't even in the same level as Andrew Luck.

You have no idea how mature / immature Winston is unless you know him personally.  I agree he has made some questionable decisions in the past but not much different than a number of kids coming out of college.  NFL teams spend a lot of time investigating their background to ensure they don't waste a draft pick on a kid that won't stay out of trouble.

I remember last season everyone talked about Tyrann Mathieu (Honey Badger ) being a problem kid and he's made it through his first year without incident.   I don't think any QB will be effective their 1st year in the NFL (Manning wasn't, Luck wasn't nor was Rivers) but he deserves the benefit of the doubt given his athletic ability and success in college.

I'm glad the Jet's took Williams but I wouldn't have been upset if we landed Winston.

Joe Paradiso

You have no idea how mature / immature Winston is unless you know him personally.  I agree he has made some questionable decisions in the past but not much different than a number of kids coming out of college.  NFL teams spend a lot of time investigating their background to ensure they don't waste a draft pick on a kid that won't stay out of trouble. I remember last season everyone talked about Tyrann Mathieu (Honey Badger ) being a problem kid and he's made it through his first year without incident.   I don't think any QB will be effective their 1st year in the NFL (Manning wasn't, Luck wasn't nor was Rivers) but he deserves the benefit of the doubt given his athletic ability and success in college. I'm glad the Jet's took Williams but I wouldn't have been upset if we landed Winston.

I'd say it pretty safe to say he's not very mature considering his off the field incidents. [URL]http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/jameis-winston-incidents-timeline-091714[/URL]

• Administrator

I don't think any QB will be effective their 1st year in the NFL (Manning wasn't, Luck wasn't nor was Rivers) but he deserves the benefit of the doubt given his athletic ability and success in college.

Ben Roethlisberger won 14 straight games his first year as a pro. He played in the second game of the season after Maddox was injured. Defeated the 10-0 Eagles and the 11-0 Patriots in back-to-back weeks (or something close to that).

Pretty effective if you ask me. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Ben Roethlisberger won 14 straight games his first year as a pro. He played in the second game of the season after Maddox was injured. Defeated the 10-0 Eagles and the 11-0 Patriots in back-to-back weeks (or something close to that).

Pretty effective if you ask me.

Year Team G Att Comp Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD TD% Int Int% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck SckY Rate
2004 Pittsburgh Steelers 14 295 196 66.4 21.1 2,621 8.9 187.2 17 5.8 11 3.7 58 43 7 30 213 98.1

Effective was poor choice of words, Ben was effective but I wouldn't say he was a great QB or had great stats in 2004.

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator
Effective was poor choice of words, Ben was effective but I wouldn't say he was a great QB or had great stats in 2004.

I don't care if he soiled himself every time he dropped back, the guy was 14-0 at one point in his first year as a professional, and knocked off two undefeated teams after the mid point of the season in back-to-back weeks.

You said "effective." 14-0 is pretty much the definition of "effective," along with a 98.1 passer rating, 66+% completion rate, etc.

Here's what you could have said: "Oh yeah, forgot about Ben. But I'd call him an exception."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You have no idea how mature / immature Winston is unless you know him personally. I agree he has made some questionable decisions in the past but not much different than a number of kids coming out of college. NFL teams spend a lot of time investigating their background to ensure they don't waste a draft pick on a kid that won't stay out of trouble.

If you're just trying to bring some attention to the frightening frequency of sexual assault on college campuses, then I'm totally behind you!

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Congrats to the NYJ, they got one of the best deep ball threats in the draft with WR Devin Smith. 20+ yards per reception for his career. I believe he averaged something like 40 yards per TD catch.

I don't care if he soiled himself every time he dropped back, the guy was 14-0 at one point. You said "effective."

Agree, effective is subjective. Ben fit what Pittsburgh needed and did a really good job.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Randy Gregory and La'El Collins are getting ****ed. Oh, let's draft the rapist but GOD FORBID we draft a guy with some potential mental health issues. And Collins is innocent until goddamn proven guilty.

Riley

Pats second round pick, yuck!

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

You have no idea how mature / immature Winston is unless you know him personally.  I agree he has made some questionable decisions in the past but not much different than a number of kids coming out of college.  NFL teams spend a lot of time investigating their background to ensure they don't waste a draft pick on a kid that won't stay out of trouble. I remember last season everyone talked about Tyrann Mathieu (Honey Badger ) being a problem kid and he's made it through his first year without incident.   I don't think any QB will be effective their 1st year in the NFL (Manning wasn't, Luck wasn't nor was Rivers) but he deserves the benefit of the doubt given his athletic ability and success in college. I'm glad the Jet's took Williams but I wouldn't have been upset if we landed Winston.

Not really a fair statement re: Rivers. To say he wasn't effective is to imply he was ineffective. He didn't actually play at all because of Drew Bree's. Once he did (his third year) he went 14-2.

Randy Gregory and La'El Collins are getting ****ed.

Oh, let's draft the rapist but GOD FORBID we draft a guy with some potential mental health issues.

And Collins is innocent until goddamn proven guilty.

I heard Collins passed a polygraph test questioning any involvement.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Quote:

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Jets said they'd select the best player available so I guess that's what they did.  They haven't signed Wilkerson yet so maybe this is insurance in case they can't reach an agreement.

@JetFan1983 should like this video.

This is what I think about the Jets, you, everything about you, your video, chowder, and Tom Brady:

:-P

Constantine

Note: This thread is 3287 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!