IGNORED

Post Your "Death Shot" with Pics/Video

CarlSpackler

Waiting for @Jeremie Boop to post his pic from yesterday.

Greenside rough yesterday. Hitting to a downhill sloping green with a pond that was very much in play if the ball came out bladed or hot. I was lucky, played a blast type sand shot and it landed soft short of the hole.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here is another fun little shot...

lol  Dude this ball doesn't even appear to be in the same zip code as the green in the picture.  I think you may have bigger problems than the lie in this case. :-P

lol  Dude this ball doesn't even appear to be in the same zip code as the green in the picture.  I think you may have bigger problems than the lie in this case.

Well, that's the tee shot on a par 4 and it's not all that far from the green.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

My home golf course used to have the most penalizing rough you can imagine.  Many balls would be lost simply by missing a fairway.  If you did find it...it was a hack-out.  Heaven forbid your ball found a patch that wasn't mowed for a couple days.

If you were lucky, you'd find FRESHLY CUT grass like below.....and this was the result!!!  (if you could find it)

This is thick bladed grass!  I would argue the US Open rough of recent opens are easier than we had "every day" at my home course.   Thankfully...........they have toned it down in recent years to make the course more playable after many member complaints.   LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

My home golf course used to have the most penalizing rough you can imagine.  Many balls would be lost simply by missing a fairway.  If you did find it...it was a hack-out.  Heaven forbid your ball found a patch that wasn't mowed for a couple days. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/130083/] [/URL] If you were lucky, you'd find [U] FRESHLY CUT [/U] grass like below.....and this was the result!!!  (if you could find it) [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/130084/] [/URL] This is thick bladed grass!  I would argue the US Open rough of recent opens are easier than we had "every day" at my home course.   Thankfully...........they have toned it down in recent years to make the course more playable after many member complaints.   LOL

Similar situation to my "home course" if they plan to keep the rough that penal, they need to increase the slope/rating to compensate. The management is impervious to complaints unfortunately.

- Shane

I can relate to your pain CarlSpackler!   This is another view of our rough from further back to give more perspective.   From this view, this freshly cut rough looks absolutely beautiful!

Playing out from it sucks...a hack out!   Even the great Carl Spackler "greenskeeper extraordinaire" wouldn't have his cinderella story if Augusta had rough like this!!  hahahahaha

What's in Paul's Bag:

• 1 year later...

Had this shot this morning:392017151424.jpg

One of my playing partners asked how you're even supposed to play that shot and I responded, "Just slam the clubhead hard into bank and hope you don't hurt yourself." Managed to just pop it onto the green.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 8/17/2015 at 3:08 PM, BuckeyeNut said:

I can relate to your pain CarlSpackler!   This is another view of our rough from further back to give more perspective.   From this view, this freshly cut rough looks absolutely beautiful!

a651e362_041-1.gif

Playing out from it sucks...a hack out!   Even the great Carl Spackler "greenskeeper extraordinaire" wouldn't have his cinderella story if Augusta had rough like this!!  hahahahaha

There was an area like this except about 6" longer and brown on my home course. Two players in my foursome found my ball. I calculated how many times the grass would wrap around the hosel of the club. How many strokes it would take to get onto the fairway. I reteed and took a stroke and distance penalty.

• Upvote 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

6 hours ago, billchao said:

One of my playing partners asked how you're even supposed to play that shot and I responded, "Just slam the clubhead hard into bank and hope you don't hurt yourself." Managed to just pop it onto the green.

That looks really steep, Nice job getting out of that one. Seems like it would be easy to embed the ball deeper if you missed.

I hate bunkers like that. They irrationally freak me out to the point of aiming too far to the opposite side of a green. Should probably just learn how to deal with them at some point.

Jon

I have joined and quit that ourse 3-4 times............The rough was insane for  a few years....."miss"..lost ball.   

Edited by BuckeyeNut

What's in Paul's Bag:

On 4/9/2017 at 0:18 PM, billchao said:

I've been in a bunker like that before in that exact position with the ball up a little higher. I think the smart thing is to take an unplayable and drop back in the bunker in a flat spot in line with the hole.... or just pound it and hope the ball rolls back or ricochets out somewhere and try not to hurt yourself.

I have been in situations greenside where the best solution was stroke and distance.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Did the ol' club twirl after a good one at the range on Sunday.  Whiffed on the catch, and now the brand new 8-iron has some character to it.  Straying a bit from the general thread, but sure felt like death watching it clang off the concrete. :cry:

8 iron.PNG

- Bill

One time i hit a ball to some low trees. Have to lay up in the direction to the trees and the lay up to the fairway.

I love this kind of thread. I have one shot in my past where I didn't need to be in a death situation, but considering it was the last hole of the match play championship I kind of was, and couldn't take a safe route. It was hit the shot and tie/have a shot at winning, or lose. My opponent was a close friend of mine, and we actually had the same index and somehow worked our way through the match play bracket. I pulled my drive off the tee and was in a fairway bunker. He  was just slightly behind me but out in the 1st cut on the right side of the par 5 18th. He hits his hybrid over to 15ft give or take. That messy area right short of the green is all marsh, so its all carry or death. He is for sure going to make a 2 putt birdie at worst. I could have wedged it out down the fairway and wedged it tight for a birdie try, but I was young and dumb. I took out my 3 wood and tried to hook my ball onto the green. Ended up pushing it right hitting a tree and luckily landed behind the green. He two putts for birdie and my chip wasn't close enough so I made par to lose. 

Even through I lost the match, I was pretty darn stoked to have pulled off that shot. 

18.jpg

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

I was playing Blue Springs CC near KC and this was my view to the green..........I play golf from the "Correct Side"...I am left handed. I opted for a PUNCH 4-rescue and hit the ball to about 10ft...........missed the putt though!   It was as you can tell very wet....to punch a low shot skipping through the wet sloppy mess short of the green to within 10ft of the cup was pure luck.  

I just realized this thread was dug-up from 2015........yes I have seen worse as you can see above!  LOL

GetFileAttachment?id=AQMkADAwATIwMTAwAC0wMTAyLWU2M2MtMDACLTAwCgBGAAAD2Rsw3oPS4EaDzd%2BDpiddwwcAm83XfMLFoE6nkjFPmHgSvwAAAgEMAAAAm83XfMLFoE6nkjFPmHgSvwABLYW4xgAAAAESABAAeQGTo%2Fb6hk%2Bng1Iebij4Uw%3D%3D&X-OWA-CANARY=qbzo1Cr6hE6ja9hGESYDhLCND9UKgtQYicnFoqs-kvPSTrOXUvlKuchp35XWfWSk2q8_hvz5W4U.&token=3258396b-7abb-4b7e-83f6-1ebe18fb14f0&owa=outlook.live.com&isc=1&isImagePreview=True

seeing my old posts from a few years ago cracks me up...this was my world every time I missed a fairway........

51870d1f_001.jpeg

Edited by BuckeyeNut

What's in Paul's Bag:

• 2 months later...

I love fried eggs.51720171368.jpg

Had a hard time just getting a footing on that bank. Managed to pop it out just on top of the lip.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 4/9/2017 at 3:18 PM, billchao said:

From the vantage point of the picture, that show looks impossible to move forward.