IGNORED

Mid-Atlantic Outing (April 9, 10 2016)

Note: This thread is 2852 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

I'd think April or May would be the best choice for both weather and course conditions. 

Sounds good to me. As long as I get enough notice, I can make plans for the family.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would be interested with a plus 1. I'm in South East PA BUT the guy I regularly play with is in Maryland only about 45 minutes to an hour away from each course. We regularly drive that distance to play courses so it's within range. I would need to know dates before committing due to work/personal schedules for both of us.

So right now it sounds like we have 10 people interested, and we still might get more, but from personal experience I think we'll be really lucky to have 8 who can actually play.  I think its time for @jsgolfer and I to compare our respective club's tournament schedules and see if we can come up with a weekend or two that might work. 

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

On December 14, 2015 at 5:08 PM, billchao said:

I'd be interested in joining if it's not too far south. My sister in law lives in Bowie and I could probably plan a family visit and sneak out for half a day or something.

Bowie is real close to Springfield, a little farther to Stoneleigh.  Worth the drive to play both courses.

On December 15, 2015 at 10:20 AM, GolfLug said:

+1 to in either Springfield or Round Hill. I am assuming this would most probably be late April at the earliest?

April is probably the earliest where the weather would be ok and the courses will be in decent shape.  This past year my first round at SGCC was 3/21.

On December 15, 2015 at 0:41 PM, DaveP043 said:

So right now it sounds like we have 10 people interested, and we still might get more, but from personal experience I think we'll be really lucky to have 8 who can actually play.  I think its time for @jsgolfer and I to compare our respective club's tournament schedules and see if we can come up with a weekend or two that might work. 

Yes sounds good

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

• 2 weeks later...

Any of the Montgomery County folks buy the MCG golf pass to the nine county-run courses?  I'm wondering if it's worth it:  are the courses decent, are tee times relatively accessible in the spring-fall season, etc.  Thanks for any input!

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

5 minutes ago, k-troop said:

Any of the Montgomery County folks buy the MCG golf pass to the nine county-run courses?  I'm wondering if it's worth it:  are the courses decent, are tee times relatively accessible in the spring-fall season, etc.  Thanks for any input!

Its the best deal you're going to find.  Unfortunately, I think they only sell a limited quantity and they sell out fast.  I tried to buy one a few years ago but they were out.  I ended up at Redgate in Rockville for 2 years, which was okay.  It comes with deals at other billy casper managed courses, too.  But the MCG courses are now in significantly better shape than Redgate, which wasn't necessarily true when I first signed up. 

None of the MCG courses are super pretty--for example, the lines between the fairway, first cut, second cut, etc. aren't pristine--but the fairways, tee boxes, and greens are in good shape.  The greens are not fast--I'd say they stimp at 8 or 9 (per my aimpoint estimates)--but they roll true.  The courses are friendly to singles, and the only time I've had trouble finding tee times are when I'm trying to book a round the night before.  If you make your tee times 48 hours in advance I don't think you'll ever have a problem. 

Here's what I'd say about each course:

Northwest - I've been most impressed with Northwest, which has become my home course.  There's nothing special about the layout but its longer than the other courses and its kept in good shape.  The greens here are better than the others.  I believe they hold a qualifier for a Nationwide (or whatever its called now, nike?) event every year. 

Hampshire Greens - The best of the bunch is probably Hampshire Greens.  Its more of a links style course and winds through a residential development.  I don't play it often because its a bit more expensive than the others and I prefer to walk.  This is a cart only course. 

Laytonsville.  Its short and kinda of easy, but its always in good shape and its fun to play.  Other than Northwest, I probably play this course the most.  I like that they have a practice bunker and bit of a short game practice area. 

Needwood - I used to live very close to Needwood and played there often.  I think the other county courses are more challenging and kept in better shape, but I wouldn't go so far as to say its in poor shape or anything like that.  They have a fun little executive 9 here, too.

Little Bennett - Its been a while since I've been out to Little Bennett but that's the most beautiful of the courses.  The course gets less play than the others and is usually in very good shape.  The consensus is that this is one of the best MCG courses.

Falls Road - Its been a while since I've played here, too.  Its the closest to DC and thus gets the most traffic.  Rounds can take a very long time.  I remember liking it, but that's when I lived in DC and my point of reference was Haines Point. 

I've never played Rattlewood, Poolsville, or Sligo Creek.  Sligo is near me, but its a 9 hole course.  The other two are too far out of my way.  I've heard good things about Poolsville, though.

Hope this helps!

• Upvote 2

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

I mostly play the Montgomery County courses but I don't have a pass.  I play in the NIH golf league, and so half the time the league is paying for my golf.  The pass wouldn't do me much good then.

Also MCG have a really great family golf deal.  At twilight hours, if you have a kid, 9 holes costs 10 bucks each, including cart.  My son and I do that a lot.

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

I just wanted to update folks, so you don't think we've forgotten.  @jsgolfer and I have taken a tentative look at dates, based on last year's tournament schedule.  We anticipate that we'll have at least a couple of weekends in April or May where we could play at his club and at mine back to back, Saturday and Sunday.  Once we get schedules for this year, we'll compare and try to figure out a good weekend to have a nice two-day outing.  Until then, y'all stay warm!

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

Just like magic, we have a couple of potential weekends to play Springfield CC and Stoneleigh GC on a Saturday and Sunday.  This is still preliminary, but if we can get some expression of interest, we'll try to keep this moving forward.  The potential dates are:April 9 and 10, or May 22-23.  We can almost certainly arrange two foursomes, so we're looking at @jsgolfer and myself and 6 more.  We'll confirm the dates when we can, but for now we'd like to hear from anyone who is interested, and maybe get an idea of the preferred weekend for each of you.

Dave

Two uniquely different courses, Stoneleigh you need to be a Mountain Goat to play it as it is very hilly and lots of uphill, downhill and sidehill lies and very undulating greens.  The second hole is definitely interesting.  Springfield is more rolling terrain with very fast greens.  

http://www.stoneleighgolf.com/Club/Scripts/Home/home.asp

http://www.sgccva.org/

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I'd be interested.  Both dates seem okay at the moment.  Thanks for putting this together!

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

53 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Just like magic, we have a couple of potential weekends to play Springfield CC and Stoneleigh GC on a Saturday and Sunday.  This is still preliminary, but if we can get some expression of interest, we'll try to keep this moving forward.  The potential dates are:April 9 and 10, or May 22-23.  We can almost certainly arrange two foursomes, so we're looking at @jsgolfer and myself and 6 more.  We'll confirm the dates when we can, but for now we'd like to hear from anyone who is interested, and maybe get an idea of the preferred weekend for each of you.

April 9/10 preferred.

Vishal S.

Put me down as a possible. Always a pleasure to meet fellow trappers.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

20 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

Put me down as a possible. Always a pleasure to meet fellow trappers.

+1.

Both courses are in Northern Virginia, right?

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

10 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

+1.

Both courses are in Northern Virginia, right?

Yes

Springfield which is not far off of the 495/95 interchange and Stoneleigh which is west of Leesburg on Route 7.

-Jerry

I'm very interested.  Do you mean May 22-23, i.e., Sunday & Monday?

Anyways, either dates should be all right.  I could probably only play one day on the weekends.  If it was Sunday-Monday, I might be able to do both.

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

8 minutes ago, davechen said:

I'm very interested.  Do you mean May 22-23, i.e., Sunday & Monday?

Anyways, either dates should be all right.  I could probably only play one day on the weekends.  If it was Sunday-Monday, I might be able to do both.

Should be May 21/22 - Saturday and Sunday.  More than likely it will be an afternoon tee time at both places. Springfield has a lottery on the weekends before noon, so I can't get two tee times unless there is a second member before noon, not sure about @DaveP043 course.  

As an FYI - cost to play Springfield on the weekend with a cart is $90. 

-Jerry

Note: This thread is 2852 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!