IGNORED

If You Had Only Five Clubs to Play With…

georgep

17 members have voted

1. 1. What clubs would you choose for a Five-Club Challenge?

• Driver
    • 3-4 wood (or hybrid 13*-17*)
    • 5-7 wood (or hybrid 18*-22*)
    • 3-iron
    • 4-iron
    • 5-iron
    • 6-iron
    • 7-iron
    • 8-iron
    • 9-iron
    • PW
    • Gap Wedge
    • Lob Wedge
    • Putter
    • Other (2-irons, more lofted hybrids, etc.)
    • Sand Wedge

I voted:
4 iron
7 iron
PW
LW
Putter

My friends and I use to have competitions with ONE club just before dark. We would decide on a hole and what club to use (everyone use the same one). We would go and play the hole to see who could get the lowest score.

I have birdied and pared many par 5's with just a PW... haha.. skulling the ball isn't always the worst thing

I was supposed to play in a 3-club this winter, but it poured rain the day of. Five clubs:

3H: Can ramp it up to 230-ish if I try, but generally I can just stripe it 210. Also great for bump-chips around the green.

7I: On a long par 4, my 3H + 7I would get me real close, but I could still use the 7I for shorter par 3's, like down to probably 135.

9I: Tweener for shots 100-> shortest 7I, and longer chip and runs

SW: I have a heavy Callaway forged, so it works in deep rough, but I can also hit from a tight lie. Can hit it anywhere from 100 yd -> in.

Putter

I played, and won, a 5-club tournament at our club a few years back using:

3-wood (I'd use my 19 degree hybrid now)
5-iron
8-iron
Gap wedge (52 degrees)
putter

This lineup has good spacing and I didn't have to take too many funky swings...like a 125 yard 8-iron.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...
5 wood - 210-220 yds off the tee or deck
7 iron - 150 yds
9 iron - 130 yds
Sand wedge - 100 yds (56 deg)
Putter

These are also the clubs I am most comfortable with - eg, more consistent with my 7 than I am with my 6 or 8 irons.

I think it would be pretty interesting to see what I could score only using these.

This was hard ... :)

I usually begin my season with just a half set
Driver
Hybrid
i6
i8
PW
SW
Putter

and if I had to ditch two clubs it would be the i6 and PW....

sourly missed thou...

5 Clubs isn't a challenge! 3 is more like it! 3 wood, 7 iron, putter!

We regularly play with 6 in our college practice matches - sharpens up your game alright - but if you're creative - you can shoot the same number as normal :)

good poll!

• iacas changed the title to If You Had Only Five Clubs to Play With…

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.