IGNORED

Chatty golf partners

notempo
Note: This thread is 3255 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Talk, don't talk, I don't much care.

I like conversation, except when the person talking is holding up play.  Then it's annoying - I've learned to hit while people are talking....It's not worse than normal

I like quiet too.

Both games are fun for me for completely different reasons.

BUT, for the OP, if too much talk is not your comfort zone, then it's pretty easy to "politely" just point out that you aren't much for chatter during a game.  I can't stand people that just sit and stew about it, or can only bring it up once they are annoyed and end up being rude about it.  Just man up and bring it up in a polite way before it bothers you.

What was Lee Travino's response to the guy that said he doesn't like to talk during a round?  "No problem.  I'LL talk.  YOU listen"

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Chatter is fine. I don't like dead silence unless I'm playing by myself.

[quote name="billchao" url="/t/82320/chatty-golf-partners#post_1148675"]Silence during a round of golf is just awkward. There's a social aspect to the game and if you're going to spend 4+ hours with someone, not talking is just weird. [/quote] [quote name="RFKFREAK" url="/t/82320/chatty-golf-partners#post_1148727"]I like people and talking so I would find it weird to not talk with someone during a round.[/quote] [quote name="krupa" url="/t/82320/chatty-golf-partners#post_1148792"][QUOTE name="billchao" url="/t/82320/chatty-golf-partners#post_1148675"]   Silence during a round of golf is just awkward. There's a social aspect to the game and if you're going to spend 4+ hours with someone, not talking is just weird. [/QUOTE] So introverts are weird? [/quote] Yeah. :-D It would be really weird to not talk during an entire round. I agree that it's annoying if they don't stop talking continuously for 4 hours, but casual conversation seems reasonably normal.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I don't mind chatter, outside of golf instruction from strangers.  I don't want anyone telling me what to do different, and I'm not good enough to tell other people how to improve.  I had to chuckle a bit, though.  Every once in a while I'll play with a stranger, a new member at the club or something, and my wife will always want to know all about them.  Where does he (or she) live, married, children, work??  I'll have spent 4 or 5 hours with them, had a very enjoyable time, and know absolutely none of that.  I'll almost always be able to tell her what football or baseball team they like, how long they've been playing golf, whether they draw or fade the ball, whether they putt well or not.  A guy has to have priorities, right?

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehmwa View Post

Talk, don't talk, I don't much care.

I like conversation, except when the person talking is holding up play.  Then it's annoying - I've learned to hit while people are talking....It's not worse than normal

I like quiet too.

Both games are fun for me for completely different reasons.

BUT, for the OP, if too much talk is not your comfort zone, then it's pretty easy to "politely" just point out that you aren't much for chatter during a game.  I can't stand people that just sit and stew about it, or can only bring it up once they are annoyed and end up being rude about it.  Just man up and bring it up in a polite way before it bothers you.

What was Lee Travino's response to the guy that said he doesn't like to talk during a round?  "No problem.  I'LL talk.  YOU listen"

Agree 100%.

Vishal S.

I don't mind chatter, outside of golf instruction from strangers.  I don't want anyone telling me what to do different, and I'm not good enough to tell other people how to improve.  I had to chuckle a bit, though.  Every once in a while I'll play with a stranger, a new member at the club or something, and my wife will always want to know all about them.  Where does he (or she) live, married, children, work??  I'll have spent 4 or 5 hours with them, had a very enjoyable time, and know absolutely none of that.  I'll almost always be able to tell her what football or baseball team they like, how long they've been playing golf, whether they draw or fade the ball, whether they putt well or not.  A guy has to have priorities, right?

Women in general do have more interest in knowing the human behind the golfer.. :-D

Vishal S.

Oh, and I'll know what kind of beer they drink.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

I don't talk much during a round. I can pretty much block out what people are talking about, or feign interest. I will say certain topics or certain attitudes can bug me a bit. I play golf with a guy who will just go on and on about all the bad shots he hit, or give help. It took me a few times to get use to tuning him out. He's going talk, talk, talk about his golf game, or your golf game.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

After playing in a weeknight league with constant talking, joking, drinking, moving about ... all when a player can be playing a shot, I don't think playing without social interaction would be much fun. Nothing going on when I'm playing bothers me anymore.  Kind of prefer it this way.

"C'mon people, make some NOISE!"

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin007

Chatter is fine. I don't like dead silence unless I'm playing by myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by billchao

Silence during a round of golf is just awkward. There's a social aspect to the game and if you're going to spend 4+ hours with someone, not talking is just weird.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFKFREAK

I like people and talking so I would find it weird to not talk with someone during a round.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krupa

Quote:

Originally Posted by billchao

Silence during a round of golf is just awkward. There's a social aspect to the game and if you're going to spend 4+ hours with someone, not talking is just weird.

So introverts are weird?

Yeah.

It would be really weird to not talk during an entire round. I agree that it's annoying if they don't stop talking continuously for 4 hours, but casual conversation seems reasonably normal.

http://www.ted.com/talks/susan_cain_the_power_of_introverts?language=en

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Who says golf is a social game?  Golf is a game against the course.

Golf wasn't developed to be a solo endeavor by the sheep herders or whoever.... It was to beat THE OTHER GUY at flinging that rock into that pile of sheep poop, not see how long it takes for YOU to fling that rock into a pile of sheep poop. Angus and his buddies didn't play by themselves and boast at the pub about "it only took 36 whacks to get me wee RRRock into that wee pie-el off pooop". They played against each other to decide who would pay for their Mead...

I like people and talking so I would find it weird to not talk with someone during a round.

+1

I have played with the "I don't say much guy" and I think I would rather play by myself than play with him. When I talk to myself, I at least halfway listen. It's the arguments I don't like....

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I have played with the "I don't say much guy" and I think I would rather play by myself than play with him. When I talk to myself, I at least halfway listen. It's the arguments I don't like....

I can enjoy the solitude of an occasional solo round, but it just feels unnatural to spend 4 hours in silence with another person.  If I want the silent treatment for hours on end, I'll just come home and tell my wife that it looks like she's put on a few pounds lately. :-D

• Upvote 1

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Am I the only one that could go a round of golf without being spoken to by your partners about your swing, golf management or their own shortcomings. I honestly like solitude during a round.

(Welcome to the forum. )

Nothing wrong with enjoying solitude during a round.   But a golf round is on average a 4 hour endeavor.   That's a long time for most golfers to go without some conversation.  It comes with golf.  I can feel/tell how chatty the others are and limit my conversation accordingly.  I think most others do the same.   There are all kind of chatters out there. To describe a few:

• I am your long lost best friend.  Let's catch up on our lives.  <--- very few but annoying.
  • I am here to have fun and golf is a social game.  Let's get along.  <--- simple majority, myself included
  • I am a minimum talker, and will keep up with small, polite conversations.   <--- some
  • I am not a social person and may start slow.   After a beer or two or five, and few holes later, I will open up and you can't stop me. <--- few, can end up annoying.
  • Leave me alone.  <--- very few, awkward

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

My buddy and I are quite competitive.  We constantly talk, and even trash-talk each other (good friends can do that) up to the point someone really starts screwing up, then out of respect I've noticed both of us quiet up quite a bit or take the convo's to different subjects.  Now if we're playing with others we don't know so well it's definately a bit different.  A little less talking out of respect for the others. However if it was total silence it would just feel weird IMO.

David

You can take the game seriously and still be sociable. I'd rather be partnered with someone whose a bit too "chatty" (assuming they don't cross the line into off color humor, etc.) than someone who keeps to himself and makes no effort to be sociable.

Not judging introverted people, but anytime I'm partnered with someone who won't say more than a handful of words per round, I always find it to be a bit uncomfortable.

I agree with those who don't like instructional advice on the course. I am in that camp as well.

However, a buddy I play with every now and then seems to request feedback on his swing/line/etc during the round. I try to avoid giving him my thoughts b/c I wouldn't want someone giving me advice. Again, he seems to want the feedback, so occasionally give him my thoughts. I guess I'll just ask him, but anyone want advice from people you know on your swing mid-round?

I like chat, because I like to talk about golf, tour talk, swing thoughts, whatever, it's all OK with me.

But never tips on the course, I hate when people give me tips, especially when they themselves have flaws.

I play with people that don't really talk golf, which is fine, but I'd prefer partners that live the game like I do, it would be better chat.

I agree with those who don't like instructional advice on the course. I am in that camp as well.

However, a buddy I play with every now and then seems to request feedback on his swing/line/etc during the round. I try to avoid giving him my thoughts b/c I wouldn't want someone giving me advice. Again, he seems to want the feedback, so occasionally give him my thoughts. I guess I'll just ask him, but anyone want advice from people you know on your swing mid-round?

I never want advice, but I occasionally will give my partner in a 4-ball match something specific to remind me of.  That way its MY specific thing they're saying, not their own opinion or advice.  Similarly, when I play with certain friends (the ones who I know will ask for advice), I'll try to go back to recent instruction they've had, ask what are they working on, so that anything I do say is an echo of the (hopefully) good advice they've had from someone more competent than I am.

Dave

Note: This thread is 3255 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!