IGNORED

How does the brand of ball factor into your score?

Note: This thread is 2961 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I haven't bought any new golf balls this year, and have been playing mostly with assorted tour-level balls I have in a large pocket in my golf bag. They all have the same marking so I know they're mine. I've got Callaways, Titleists, Bridgestones, TaylorMades, Nikes, and a Srixon or two. I can pull any one of them out and be confident that I'm not really losing or gaining much of anything based on brand or model. As to the OP: @upndown21 : swing better. There's no reason a Titleist (specifically a ProV1) would spin (because the golf ball doesn't know sidespin from backspin) less than ... any other ball, really. It's a urethane-covered ball; it spins quite a bit compared to a Warbird or a Hex Chrome. Pros play them because of marketing - Titleists are popular, and therefore the "easy," risk-averse choice. A pro playing a Titleist can't possibly be at a disadvantage when everyone else is playing Titleists. Golfers ebb and flow. Sometimes I start slicing the ball for a week or two. It's not the ball.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To answer the OP, the brand makes no difference. The type of ball can make a significant difference. Ever major manufacturer makes various types of balls with different playing characteristics. It's the playing characteristics that work best for him, that a player needs to identify to get the best performance from his ball.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I don't think Shorty ever made it to Captain. I believe Lieutenant JG was his highest rank.  Hint: There's a reason his avatar is a grumpy cat.

I play Titleist balls.  I see a very small difference between the V1 and V1x off the tee, but control really comes back to the swing.  That being said, try sticking with the same ball for a while.  It will help you see you swing improvement more without the ball being a factor.

Exactly my thought. Broke down yesterday and bought 5 boxes of proV1x and got one box of AAAA refurbished to see if I can tell a difference; hopefully not as the refurbished are about $20 less per dozen.

It'd be pretty cool actually if I dropped a stroke or something by switching to a nice ball. I use the cheap-o Laddie Precept, and have used it for probably two years now. Seems fine to me. $20 for 24 balls. In South Florida there are a lot of water hazards, so I prefer losing balls that aren't expensive. If I played a more wide open course where OB/Water wasn't much of an issue, I'd probably use a good one. But you can do fine with a really crappy ball.

Constantine

As others have said the type of ball can make a noticeable difference in your scores (a few strokes).  For some golfers, the brand can make a difference in their confidence level but in reality most types of balls are similar from the different manufacturers.  I was guilty for many years of almost always playing a Titleist (I did have an affair with the STRATA) because I wanted to look down and see the brand.  Only in the last several years did I realize there were balls as good or better for my non-tour game from other brands and started experimenting - I also saved quite  bit of money in the process.

On the course the only difference that I see is on or close to the greens.  some balls feel different then others coming off the putter face.  And the tour/urethane skinned balls seem to spin a bit more for me on short approach shots and around the greens.  Doesn't make it better or worse, just play different.

I haven't noticed a difference on full iron shots, driver etc between different balls besides the feel.  But I don't hit it exactly perfect every time either.

I usually play either srixon or bridgestone tour balls because I like the performance around the greens and I can get them cheaper then titleist.

Just play Snell. They rock.

How will a Snell ball keep the OP out of the woods more than another brand?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

To answer the OP, the brand makes no difference. The type of ball can make a significant difference. Ever major manufacturer makes various types of balls with different playing characteristics. It's the playing characteristics that work best for him, that a player needs to identify to get the best performance from his ball.

^This.  If playing balls of similar construction/characteristics, brand makes no difference whatsoever.  What's written on the ball won't affect spin rate, launch, feel, etc., but the construction of the ball certainly will.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

How will a Snell ball keep the OP out of the woods more than another brand?

Hey...He has "no problem hitting fairways" and "is striking the ball well".

It is clearly an equipment issue as his game is clearly very sound.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Went out to the tee box last night after the range and hit three sleeves of prov1xs and chrome hexs. Used an alignment stick to ensure each shot was on same line. Results were as I thought more prov1s in the fairway (significantly less left to right movement) and marginally longer.

Went out to the tee box last night after the range and hit three sleeves of prov1xs and chrome hexs. Used an alignment stick to ensure each shot was on same line. Results were as I thought more prov1s in the fairway (significantly less left to right movement) and marginally longer.

If you prefer the V1x to the V1, you would probably also prefer the Hex Chrome+ to the Hex Chrome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Mulligans

When I hit trees with ProV1's, the tend to just bounce right back into the fairway.

You're lucky. My Pro V1s are guaranteed to disappear. Gnomes, I think.

Mine wants to wander off more than usual.

Back to the OP & OT, I played all the balls mentioned in the initial tread.   As for me, I get more side spin using Pro V1 and that's probably normal for golfers with my HI.   Callaway Warbird & Hex jumping off from putters?   I think that's in OP's mind.   I have not seen that unless I am hitting a 90 feet putt hard which different "types" (not brand) ball may react noticeably different.   BTW, Warbird is a cheaper distance ball with very different characteristics than Pro V1 (or other premium balls).   I think the OP is just noticing that apples and oranges are different.   My 2 cents.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I play mostly Callaway Hex(various) and TM balls.  I have lot's of Pro V1 balls but hey seem a lot harder to keep in the fairway for me ????  The Pro V1x seems a little straighter. Is it just in my mind ?

I don't mark my ball with a sharpie.  I found the additional weight of the ink caused a lopsided weight issue resulting in me hitting more trees.

But I play Srixon Q Star or Nike PD Soft balls.  Usually yellow or orange so it's easier to find and there usually is no confusion as to which ball is mine.

I play mostly Callaway Hex(various) and TM balls.  I have lot's of Pro V1 balls but hey seem a lot harder to keep in the fairway for me ????  The Pro V1x seems a little straighter. Is it just in my mind ?

No, the ProV1x is definitely straighter for some people than the ProV. That's the whole point of the additional mantle layer. Less spin on drives, thus straighter. Higher swing speeds especially might benefit there from the additional layer and higher compression core.

I though the ProV1 was a 5 layer and the 1x a 4 layer, which would be the opposite ? .  The V1 has a softer feel and I hit it a long way, just seems not as straight. My driver swing speed is 103-105

Brand only matters when it's a brand that I like.   Titleist and Snell are balls that I would spend money on to purchase.   However I agree with the comments here along the lines of that it's the type of ball that matters more (certain Callaway, TM, Bridgestone feel really nice as well) than the brand.   A harder Titleist is coming out on water hazards only compared to a Callaway Hex Black which has a nicer feel and a good ball.

Feel around the greens is what is important to me.   But once I find something that I like, I can be pretty brand loyal.

—Adam

Note: This thread is 2961 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!