IGNORED

2015 British Open at St. Andrews Discussion Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 3033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dunne winning would be a great story, but I think a bit flukish. Not exactly predicted as having a great future. bit still a great story. With DJ basically out of it, I got to root for Spieth. Want to see history made.

Then root for Dunne. An amateur winning a major in the modern era would be an historic event.

"Flukish"? It's pretty hard to impress some people. What a disgustingly arrogant and condescending insult.

An amateure leads the Open but you criticise him as "Not exactly predicted as having a great future". Geeeeezzzz.

Having your name on that trophy and being an amateur would make him immortal in some respects.

I'm sure Ben Curtis is happy to have won his Open, but you'd thrash him too, I suppose.

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Then root for Dunne. An amateur winning a major in the modern era would be an historic event.  "Flukish"? It's pretty hard to impress some people. What a disgustingly arrogant and condescending insult. An amateure leads the Open but you criticise him as "Not exactly predicted as having a great future". Geeeeezzzz. Having your name on that trophy and being an amateur would make him immortal in some respects. I'm sure Ben Curtis is happy to have won his Open, but you'd thrash him too, I suppose.

I'm rooting for Spieth. I want to see the Grand Slam. But I'm not wishing any ill will on Dunne. Like I said, it'd be a great story. Would be great for him. Would just rather see another kind of history made. And relax, all I said is I don't think the guy will be someone who will win many times in his life. It's not like I said I hate the guy. Geez.

• Upvote 1

What I hope to see, Dunne first and Spieth second.  I think a win by an amateur is a bigger deal than a grand slam.  No way I'd root for any pro over an amateur in this championship.  This will likely be Dunne's last chance as an amateur - if he's like most anyway, he'll turn pro soon.  Being the Open champion as an amateur would be something he could bank on the rest of his life, even if his pro career goes nowhere.  And I would like to see Neibrugge stay near the top too.  What a story with 2 amateurs in contention entering the final round.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Again, no guarantees I've done this totally right, but these are some of the contest picks (-9 or better only listed). I've yellowed out any cells where the final score would mean the field backs up from the current lead -12, except when that was the only guess for that person.

I've got one of those picks for Sergio still in the running, but it ain't looking too good.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Well there is a huge difference in saying. You don't think he will win VS he has no chance what so ever.

Methinks I've got more chances of making eagle this week than Dustin has of winning .. and I haven't shot too many of those since I was 65 :-)

I am conflicted on this one. Some part of me wants to see Spieth go into the final major going for the grand slam. I also would like to see Jason Day win one after his gritty performance at the US Open. I also want to see an amateur win a major.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I've a feeling if the weather does turn a bit nasty tomorrow it could help Paul Dunne. Pro's don't often go out and practice when it's blowing a hooley and belting with rain .. and if the turf's a bit damp in a tourney they get to clean and drop .. within a CLUB length .. but I'd bet Paul is pretty darned used to not playing mollycoddle golf and playing in pretty well all conditions in Ireland.. love to see him show everyone his heels tomorrow. But if he doesn't make it, then Louis or Jason for me.

I've a feeling if the weather does turn a bit nasty tomorrow it could help Paul Dunne.

55-60 degrees, low chance of rain, 8-15 mph winds, cloudy

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I am conflicted on this one. Some part of me wants to see Spieth go into the final major going for the grand slam. I also would like to see Jason Day win one after his gritty performance at the US Open. I also want to see an amateur win a major.

Yep...  same here.

I will be in the car and driving tomorrow to meetings ... so no Open for me. Wonder if ESPN has it viewing on an iPhone...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

55-60 degrees, low chance of rain, 8-15 mph winds, cloudy

Yeah the forecast is better than what I saw some time ago.. bit of a shame really. Mind you they sometimes can't tell the weather correctly AFTER it's been let alone FORECAST it accurately :-)

[QUOTE name="saevel25" url="/t/83040/2015-british-open-at-st-andrews-discussion-thread/810#post_1171718"]   I am conflicted on this one. Some part of me wants to see Spieth go into the final major going for the grand slam. I also would like to see Jason Day win one after his gritty performance at the US Open. I also want to see an amateur win a major.  [/QUOTE] Yep...  same here. I will be in the car and driving tomorrow to meetings ... so no Open for me. Wonder if ESPN has it viewing on an iPhone...

ESPN's iOS app us great, but how's your data plan? I noticed The Open app has a radio live steam. Between Dunne, Spieth and Day, I'd like to see Day win although I should be rooting for Spieth.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I'm with you up to your last sentence. Pulling for history and Spieth but would be OK with JDay winning, he's earned his shot with so many close calls. Do not want an amateur to win, would cheapen it for me. All kudos to the kid for sure, just don't want another 1-time wonder winning.

• Upvote 1

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I'm pulling for Spieth, watching him win 3 out of 3 legs of the Grand Slam would be amazing and make the PGA Championship even more exciting to watch.

Joe Paradiso

ESPN's iOS app us great, but how's your data plan? I noticed The Open app has a radio live steam.

Between Dunne, Spieth and Day, I'd like to see Day win although I should be rooting for Spieth.

Thanks!

Unlimited data....

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

All this talk about how DJ should rip this place apart and the dude can't even break par. Pathetic performance by him.

Um...you do know that golf is hard, right?

Colin P.

• Administrator

Um...you do know that golf is hard, right?

First three words on a golf book I can think of… ("Golf is hard." Not "Um… you do". :D)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm with you up to your last sentence. Pulling for history and Spieth but would be OK with JDay winning, he's earned his shot with so many close calls. Do not want an amateur to win, would cheapen it for me. All kudos to the kid for sure, just don't want another 1-time wonder winning.

I agree with this.  I'll be rooting for Spieth as well.  What he's doing is good for the game.

Note: This thread is 3033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!