IGNORED

Rory McIlroy Ruptures Tendon, Out of British Open + Longer?

acetoolguy
Note: This thread is 3200 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yes, quite a few pro contracts have restrictions in them. A friend was telling me his son's high school baseball team limits what they can do during the season. OTOH, I once practiced with a French professional basket ball team who ended their practice with a soccer scrimmage.

Sounds like the Soviet Union when their top athletes were taken away to camps and not allowed to do **** all but train and concentrate on their chosen sport.

Not the same situation at all. Rory is his own team owner. He is not being paid by someone else - he's the one making the contract with himself.

There's always a fairly important golf tournament coming up. Maybe not, what, December? Race to Dubai, the FedExCup, Ryder Cup, etc. The golf season is long. What, he's only allowed to enjoy life for two weeks in late December?

Injuries happen. I'm glad he was enjoying his life and his friends. Makes me like him a little bit more.

It's not. Tom Brady has a team. If he was injured he'd be affecting teammates, owners, coaches, etc. Rory's just affecting himself and, what, his caddie?

If his sponsors wanted to pay extra to add such a restriction to his contract, they could have. They chose not to (so far as we all know right now).

You are right.  There really isn't a good time for him to do that, and then again he could have injured himself doing any thing.

I guess it is just tough luck, we'll see how he bounces back.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sounds like the Soviet Union when their top athletes were taken away to camps and not allowed to do **** all but train and concentrate on their chosen sport.

In Soviet Russia, sports play you!

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

I dont think in the long run Rory will regret missing the open and possibly the PGA. He's young  and should be still trying to enjoy himself. What would you regret more, missing 2 majaors or looking back on your career and wishing you had enjoyed your life.

For most of us golf is a hobby, for these guys its their job and you cant put your life on hold because of your job. You wouldnt hear your postman (mail-man) in the run up to Christmas saying "best not play in that 5 a side soccer game at the weekend, dont want to miss work" (ok, not the same as the open but you get the idea).

Good on Rory, enjoy growing up/old. Sure it would be great to have lots of majors like Jack and Tiger, but how much of their life was sacrificed?

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

My 2 cents... from what I heard this morning and the way Rory uses the ground forces for speed (also what I heard), with a type 3 sprain, there is no way he could play effectively, much less walk up and down hill, and down and up from bunkers. That is a lot of strain on an severely injured ankle.

I hope he says, "I'm better off recovering for the long term rather  than compensating for an injury and hurting myself later as those compensations cause other injuries. Tiger did not win a major after 2008 and suffered a cycle of injuries. Think I'll skip that phase, rest up, and play when ready. What's the rush? Pass me another Guiness."

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Rory is neither a hero nor a goat in this. Every professional athlete has other things they enjoy whether it's fishing, hunting, coaching their kids, and a million other things. It's not like he attempted to climb Everest, he was playing soccer, a pretty common hobby that I'd guess about 1 billion people do, probably more.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Didn't Woods play with a stress fracture and torn ligaments at Torrey Pines when he won the 2008 US open.

Yes, and then, if we all remember, he suffered a string of injuries, possibly because the rest of his body was compensating for that injury, that caused other injuries. And the rest of his body was overcompensating for something else...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Didn't Woods play with a stress fracture and torn ligaments at Torrey Pines when he won the 2008 US open.

I don't know for a fact on this (someone can verify it), but I believe he didn't go into the Open with a fracture, just a surgically repaired knee. He fractured it during the first couple rounds and then, of course, had to miss the next 7 months because he did play. If he didn't play the US Open, he likely would have been ready to play the British or PGA. I think that's the concern for Rory. He could probably play with taping it to kingdom come and taking pain pills every hour like Tiger did, but he could do further damage that could really set him back.

Not to mention, there's a lot of pressure that goes into the left ankle. If it was the right ankle, he might be able to limp his way along more and not put as much pressure on it. All your weight shifts on that left foot.

Rory is under contract with his sponsors, including EA Sports which is dropping the new Rory McIlroy PGA Tour game next week.

Do you mean dropping or releasing into market?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

• Administrator

I don't know for a fact on this (someone can verify it), but I believe he didn't go into the Open with a fracture, just a surgically repaired knee. He fractured it during the first couple rounds and then, of course, had to miss the next 7 months because he did play. If he didn't play the US Open, he likely would have been ready to play the British or PGA. I think that's the concern for Rory. He could probably play with taping it to kingdom come and taking pain pills every hour like Tiger did, but he could do further damage that could really set him back.

Not to mention, there's a lot of pressure that goes into the left ankle. If it was the right ankle, he might be able to limp his way along more and not put as much pressure on it. All your weight shifts on that left foot.

You remember wrong. He had stress fractures before. He could not practice for more than a few minutes before needing to rest. The surgery was mostly for the ACL, IIRC.

I don't think Tiger would have really been able to play the BO or the PGA if he had skipped the U.S. Open. He had to repair that ACL at some point.

Anyway, this thread's about Rory.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Golfing injuries: Players find many ways to veer off course

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/racing/golfing-injuries-players-find-many-ways-to-veer-off-course-1.2275681

Pin from hip to knee? That's a big pin!

Quote:
Phil Mickelson
Back in 1994, Mickelson suffered a fracture to his left femur in a skiing accident. The leg injury kept him away from tournament golf for more than three months. “It’s not very intelligent in our sport because we don’t get guarantee money,” he said. “On the other hand, I’m 23 and don’t want to live my life being afraid of getting hurt.” The accident, which occurred when Mickelson crashed into a tree, resulted in a pin being inserted from his hip to above his knee .
Adam Scott
In 2008, the Australian dislocated his kneecap and suffered a tear in ligaments in his right knee when surfing, forcing him to miss the Australian Open and Australian PGA championships. Scott’s injury came in December, which at least enabled him to undergo a full recovery over the winter.
Paul Casey
In 2012, the Englishman sustained a shoulder injury in a snowboarding accident. Casey missed five tournaments and had to undergo further treatment for a period of almost six months before he regained full fitness.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/jul/06/rory-mcilroy-ankle-injury-open-championship-jordan-spieth-st-andrews

Neil Diamond? :hmm: That's a 180 from One Direction. That's what the Internet did for music. Eclectic tastes.

Quote:
He attended a Neil Diamond concert in Belfast last week with friends he has retained since childhood. Rather than being criticised for the supposed recklessness of his Saturday pursuits, McIlroy should be credited with continuing to behave like every other 26-year-old would like to.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 3200 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!