IGNORED

Is Jordan Spieth the long awaited next Tiger?

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 3208 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Is Jordan Spieth the long awaited next Tiger?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Martin View Post

sickening

Why? It is tradition. It is also a wine jug. You are supposed to drink from it or at least pour a beverage out of it.

Quote:
clar·et
ˈklerət/
noun
  1. a red wine from Bordeaux, or wine of a similar character made elsewhere.
    • a deep purplish-red color.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No...the answer is no

I am a huge spieth fan and have rooted for him in every tournament he has contended in since he came onto the scene but he is not the next Tiger.  In fact, there is no next Tiger.  Nobody will ever electrify the game the way tiger did.

I will even go on to say that we are now entering what will be remembered as the golden age of golf.  The group of young superstars that are so prominent today are the last group that grew up watching the domination of Tiger and who were inspired to play by Tiger.  Spieth, Rory, Ricky and the rest just do not have the pull to bring the masses to the game the way that Tiger did, and with less young kids getting into the game the talent level across the game will slowly drop--not a huge amount since the guys on top will still be 100 times better than your average scratch but the depth of field that we see today will more than likely not be seen for a long time if ever again.

You think not? Here's an idea for you - young Chinese/Indian kid rips it up on PGA Tour and wins two majors by the time he's 22. Don't think that'll electrify things? Maybe not amongst U.S. golf fans etc, but it'll be massive for sponsors and where the populations are so enormous.

sickening

Not really, no. Think it's kinda cool that Jordan's happy to drink from Zach's Jug. Everything I see (so far) from Spieth says 'class'.

Voted 'no' as, hopefully, he's the first Spieth.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Spieth's 2015 British almost is reminiscent of Tiger's 2002 British when he was going for the Slam. Tiger actually was T-9 through 2 rounds in '02 and Spieth is T-14, and assuming Spieth doesn't win you can argue the wind had a huge factor in ruining both players chances.

I think that Spieth had a fair shot at it, even though I am disappointed that he lost.  I do not think it can be blamed on the wind, as with Tiger in '02,  and there is no shame in finishing T3, even though a lot of us had higher hopes for him.  If Jordan couldn't win I was rooting for Zach or Day, so I was OK with the outcome.

sickening

Yes, your attempts to denigrate yet another champion ARE sickening.  What a sad little life you must have to get your jollies from running down your betters.

• Upvote 2

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

NHL players are superstitious about even touching the Stanley Cup until winning it......wonder how many tour pros have donned the Green Jacket without winning it. Just seems premature. Doubt you'd have seen many tour players drinking from it until after winning it. There's something about two competitors sharing the celebration. Wouldn't see Russell Wilson celebrating with Tom Brady and the Lombardi after last season's SB.

• Administrator

There's something about two competitors sharing the celebration. Wouldn't see Russell Wilson celebrating with Tom Brady and the Lombardi after last season's SB.

Maybe that's one of the things that makes golf special.

What a life you must lead, @Rick Martin .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

NHL players are superstitious about even touching the Stanley Cup until winning it......wonder how many tour pros have donned the Green Jacket without winning it. Just seems premature. Doubt you'd have seen many tour players drinking from it until after winning it. There's something about two competitors sharing the celebration. Wouldn't see Russell Wilson celebrating with Tom Brady and the Lombardi after last season's SB.

Hockey is unique in their superstitions around touching Lord Stanley's Cup. They will do it after the season, but not during. I saw commercials this season actually of Aaron Rogers, Tony Romo and Russell Wilson holding, caressing the Lombardi Trophy during the playoffs. Recall the same with the NBA. So, drinking out of the Claret Jug, at the invitation of the man who holds it, is an honor that even hockey players would participate in and have.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

sickening

Why? It is tradition. It is also a wine jug. You are supposed to drink from it or at least pour a beverage out of it.

+1.

When Yani was winning everything, in one tournament before it started, Yani lifted the winning trophy in display in jest as she was walking toward somewhere (1st tee?).   When I saw that, my jaw dropped.   But that's far from the above picture.   Both Zach and JS seem to be having a good time at it.  Nothing wrong with that.    Now to finish a story on Yani, I think that was the beginning of her downfall.   She fell from her #1 ranking like a rock and never (so far) came back.

BTW, Jordan nearly won his 3rd straight major.  Not too shabby.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Superstitions are dumb.

OT, @Golfingdad, OT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQAbzLUl9ns ;-)

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

C'mon @Rick Martin the part about golf being a gentleman's game?  I know you're not playing these days but when I play in club tournaments I want to win as bad as anyone does but I still go have a drink with everyone after regardless of whether I win or lose.

You're really off base here, some of these guys are actually friends and can still compete when they are on the course.

Joe Paradiso

Hockey is unique in their superstitions around touching Lord Stanley's Cup. They will do it after the season, but not during. I saw commercials this season actually of Aaron Rogers, Tony Romo and Russell Wilson holding, caressing the Lombardi Trophy during the playoffs. Recall the same with the NBA. So, drinking out of the Claret Jug, at the invitation of the man who holds it, is an honor that even hockey players would participate in and have.

you sure as hell wouldn't see my TB Bolts drinking out of the cup courtesy of the Blackhawks, especially hours after losing it in a hard fought battle in the finals.

you sure as hell wouldn't see my TB Bolts drinking out of the cup courtesy of the Blackhawks, especially hours after losing it in a hard fought battle in the finals.

These guys know each other and as you know, they each get the Cup for a day or two during the off-season and take it around to their friends and family. It wouldn't suprise me in the least if a member of the Hawks has a bud on the Bolts and sometime over the next couple months that Bolts guy is asked to drink from the Cup. A few hours after? No, of course not, therein lies the difference in the 2 sports. One tradition no better than the other, just different.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awesome photo, good for them, those guys are on top of the world right now.

But I don't think Jordan or anyone will ever be like Tiger, Woods was playing a different game than everyone else during his prime, Spieth is just playing better than most, so I doubt he racks up the wins like Tiger did.

I say no.  Jordan is one of several young golfers that will likely dominate the game over the next decade and will no doubt win 6-10 additional majors.  However, Tiger was a phenomenon that went way beyond golf and drew non-golfers to their television sets to watch him crush his opponents in an aggressive way - he made golf "cool".  He also dominated a game that had a sad history of racial discrimination and became a folk hero to some whether they played golf or not.  Just as Jack was, Tiger was a one of a kind.  My non-golfer friends have heard of Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, and have watched Tiger Woods.  They do not know who Jordan Spieth, Rory McIlroy, Dustin Johnson, or Zach Johnson are.  As golfers we have a good number of extremely talented golfers to follow and the tour will be fun to watch.  But I don't see anyone today having the impact that Tiger, and in a different way Arnold and Jack did on the relevance of golf even if they break some of Tiger's or Jack's records.

I say no.  Jordan is one of several young golfers that will likely dominate the game over the next decade and will no doubt win 6-10 additional majors.  However, Tiger was a phenomenon that went way beyond golf and drew non-golfers to their television sets to watch him crush his opponents in an aggressive way - he made golf "cool".  He also dominated a game that had a sad history of racial discrimination and became a folk hero to some whether they played golf or not.  Just as Jack was, Tiger was a one of a kind.  My non-golfer friends have heard of Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, and have watched Tiger Woods.  They do not know who Jordan Spieth, Rory McIlroy, Dustin Johnson, or Zach Johnson are.  As golfers we have a good number of extremely talented golfers to follow and the tour will be fun to watch.  But I don't see anyone today having the impact that Tiger, and in a different way Arnold and Jack did on the relevance of golf even if they break some of Tiger's or Jack's records.

I agree with this sentiment. Tiger was singular because of his greatness and because his race. I play often with a group of 25 or 30 black guys and they are genuinely saddened by Tiger's fall, I mean it hurts them and it's palpable when discussing it. I mention that I'm OK with Phil and Tiger fading because I'm excited about Jordan and Rory and even though Jordan is a local Dallas kid, he will never replace Tiger in their eyes, he doesn't excite them or make them want to watch, although they still root for him. It's all about Tiger to them. I think he had this effect on Asians too, maybe to a larger degree even, especially in Asia. His trips to Thailand and China were huge in expanding the worldwide game. I don't see Jordan having that kind of impact even if he wins 20 majors. I love the kid but I can't put him on that level. A sad part of Tiger's legacy, in my opinion, is that he wasn't able to expand playership in the black community, much as he tried with his foundation and the 1st Tee. I should phrase that differently...he increased playership at the lower levels but I'm very surprised there are no blacks in the higher echelons of professional golf. Not certain what that is, probably economic to some extent but it's disappointing; I wonder if he feels the same. Perhaps a topic for another thread.

[quote name="MrDC" url="/t/83273/is-jordan-spieth-the-long-awaited-next-tiger/60#post_1174083"] But I don't think Jordan or anyone will ever be like Tiger, Woods was playing a different game than everyone else during his prime, Spieth is just playing better than most, so I doubt he racks up the wins like Tiger did. [/quote] i don't know if I see any young golfer winning two straight majors and coming one shot away from a third. I do think this kid is a special breed. While he may not win as much as Tiger because of the depths of the field today and his talent just may not be quite at that level, I think he will contend just as much as Tiger...maybe more. The guy contends in every tournament he plays...I've never seen anything like it since Tiger. There may be great young players on the way, but I just don't see any of them having the success of Jordan.

It wouldn't suprise me in the least if a member of the Hawks has a bud on the Bolts and sometime over the next couple months that Bolts guy is asked to drink from the Cup.

If a selfie get out on the net, that player will hear from the fans if he does.....and I really doubt that any Lightning player would be caught celebrating with another team's cup.

Note: This thread is 3208 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!