IGNORED

2015 Quicken Loans National Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3181 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Woods will drop to the 300s next week. He'll then shank every.. single... shot... in Wisconsin, retire and work as a clown at birthday parties. Woods solidifies his grasp on WOAT.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Woods will drop to the 300s next week. He'll then shank every.. single... shot... in Wisconsin, retire and work as a clown at birthday parties. Woods solidifies his grasp on WOAT.

Eric the Clown?  What kind of name is that?

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Well, I heard he's already retired because of his glutes, and, and, and, he's also a drug dealer!

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

In all seriousness, I'm worried about him at the PGA. Whistling Straits is not a place you want to play if you're not confident with your driver. He needs to figure out his "scooping driver" ASAP.

In all seriousness, I'm worried about him at the PGA. Whistling Straits is not a place you want to play if you're not confident with your driver. He needs to figure out his "scooping driver" ASAP.

Definitely true. I think he he showed good progress this week, and hopefully he won't be as wild for that tourney.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

I see only two kids, admist a sea of middle-aged people, and a lady that could be mistaken for tiger's mother. Some of these tweets just floor me.

Dude I was just joking around and if you cant see the blonde in picture you must be blind.I didnt say young hot blonde I just said blonde lady geez.

Here’s a strokes gained breakdown of the top 10 finishers:

Strokes gained per round (ranks in parentheses)

Golfer

Total

Drive

Appr

Short

Putt

Troy Merritt

3.8 (1)

-0.1 (44)

2.4 (1)

0.3 (29)

1.2 (10)

Rickie Fowler

3.0 (2)

0.5 (15)

1.4 (8)

-0.2 (55)

1.3 (9)

David Lingmerth

2.8 (3)

0.7 (7)

0.0 (48)

0.4 (25)

1.8 (3)

Carl Pettersson

2.3 (T4)

0.0 (39)

1.1 (11)

-0.6 (68)

1.7 (4)

Jason Bohn

2.3 (T4)

0.1 (36)

1.0 (14)

-0.5 (66)

1.7 (5)

Bill Haas

2.3 (T4)

0.5 (18)

1.4 (7)

0.6 (15)

-0.2 (52)

Danny Lee

2.3 (T4)

0.5 (13)

1.0 (16)

0.3 (28)

0.4 (31)

Justin Thomas

2.3 (T4)

0.5 (17)

0.5 (27)

0.3 (27)

0.9 (15)

Justin Rose

2.3 (T4)

0.8 (4)

1.0 (17)

0.5 (20)

0.0 (45)

Ryo Ishikawa

2.0 (10)

0.1 (34)

0.5 (26)

1.0 (3)

0.3 (33)

Top 10 average

Fraction of total

100%

14%

41%

8%

36%

Seems like Merritt separated himself from the field this week by nearly 10 strokes (2.4 x 4) through his approach shots. I'd have to dig through past tournaments, but that seems like an outlier as well. Nobody else reached 2.0 in any category.

I saw this chart as well. Goes to show you - approach shots and made putts take home the cheese. The only guy in the top 10 who didn't have a good showing on approach shots was Lingmerth, which he made up for with stellar driving and putting. I think the "drive for show, putt for dough" axiom makes partial sense for this reason - tour winners must make putts to win. However, poor driving/approach shots means you must putt out of your mind to even have a chance - i.e. Lingmerth, who wasn't good at approaches, but not awful either.

One thing's certain - short game prowess had no correlation to success in this tournament. I would bet that holds true quite often. The old Jack Nicklaus approach - why worry about a short game when I just hit fairways and greens all day?

I'll be first to hire Tiger the Clown for my young nieces/nephews birthday celebrations.

He can hit shots in the backyard with those little stubby plastic clubs and balls.

Tough crowd...

You want tough? He should have been arrested for attempted assault with a 5 wood to all 50 spectators lined up to the left of him on the back 9. He could have killed someone the way he's playing. They should ban him from touching a golf club. Tiger Woods sucks Cheetos balls gone bad.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

You want tough? He should have been arrested for attempted assault with a 5 wood to all 50 spectators lined up to the left of him on the back 9. He could have killed someone the way he's playing. They should ban him from touching a golf club. Tiger Woods sucks Cheetos balls gone bad.

I know you're joking but in all seriousness the officials at that course were negligent to allow those spectators to stand where they were.  Forget the Tiger jokes, if he shanked the ball or hit something around the ball (root or rock) someone could have been seriously injured.  I also don't understand the parents who let their kids stand in front of them while he took that shot.

Joe Paradiso

Tough crowd...

I saw him with that 5 wd and thought, "The marshals ought to back them off."

But he's great with a 5; it's the driver, and then too much club.

I mean, the man has got to work hard, and then play to get it going. It's like a Tiger reincarnation every 8 years.

:-$

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• Administrator

Tiger Woods' stellar finish moved him from 266th in the world to 262nd. Watch out Rory and Jordan.....Tiger's nipping at your heels.

And if it weren't for the 40 divisor he'd be about 100 places higher. Still nowhere near where he wants to be, but 162 sounds a lot better than 262.

Tiger is not "scooping" his driver. Please find a better word.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'll offer you straight up odds at $1000 apiece on the two things you stated:

Tiger wins a sanctioned PGA Tour event before he turns 46 (I take yes, you take no).

I'm not a betting person and I believe Woods probably will win an event; also it sounds like the issue is now moot. But just in case someone gets the urge later to go mano a mano -

This prop is not economically rational for someone who wants to bet against Woods. If Woods wins, the payoff to the person betting for Woods (PFW) comes immediately, but the payoff for the person betting against Woods (PAW) cannot come until 2022.  PAW can win, at best, only the current discounted value of $1000 in 2022.  Of course this amount varies according to the interest rate chosen, but it is going to be at least several hundred dollars less than $1000, maybe as little as $500. Meanwhile PFW - if he wins - is assured of getting paid an amount closer to the original $1000 than PAW could win, unless Woods doesn't win until the last day of the betting term.

The only way this bet makes economic sense - and assuming it's a 50-50 proposition, i.e., no odds either way - is to delay payoff until some future specific date, such as 12/31/2022 regardless of who wins, such that the discount effect applies equally to both PFW and PAW.

Tiger is not "scooping" his driver. Please find a better word.

That's what it looks like to me so that's what I'm going to call it. It may not look like that to you, that's fine, but to me it looks like scooping and it looks terrible IMO.

That's what it looks like to me so that's what I'm going to call it. It may not look like that to you, that's fine, but to me it looks like scooping and it looks terrible IMO.

Looks can be deceiving. The body can do some funky stuff but the club actually doesn't do much. You could probably find two golfers who clubheads travel nearly the same path but the body might look completely different.

Tiger wasn't scooping his drives.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Looks can be deceiving. The body can do some funky stuff but the club actually doesn't do much. You could probably find two golfers who clubheads travel nearly the same path but the body might look completely different.  Tiger wasn't scooping his drives.

That's a fine statement to make when the results are good (a la Furyk or Trevino swings- ugly or unconventional to look at but they get the clubhead in the right spot); problem is Tiger's results are bad and the swing looks bad (to me, at least). When you have both these things, then I think you have a problem. I'm not saying the dude is intentionally 'sccoping' his drives, but that's what the swing looks like to me so that's the best way I know to characterize it.

Note: This thread is 3181 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!